News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1974 440 HP Has No Power

Started by tonyskala, August 03, 2020, 07:35:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

Quote from: tonyskala on October 26, 2020, 03:22:34 AM
Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on October 20, 2020, 12:19:30 PM
An nsn is just a military assigned stock number. As you stated, the parts were actually the same. Not the same story on the converters in the car. I too am a former abrams mechanic l, actually test officer. I wrote many 9f the books you were using to repair them. Out of curiosity because you used several terms along the story- what actual part did you replace? And my personal best for power pack removal from engine shutdown to on the ground is 6 minutes- alone.

Oh it appears i miss led you I am not a heavy vehicle mechanic. I was a flight platoon leader and later a maintenance test pilot. I happened to have stumbled on that part swap info out of sheer luck.

I was the 2nd from last class at Fort Rucker that went through BCS in a UH1. One day we were hovering on a pad at Lowe about to leave on a training flight. My instructor pilot noticed this other instructor pilot and his students jumping up and down trying to get our attention before we took off. My IP told me to set it down and the other IP started running over and his students had fire extinguishers. My IP opened his door and the the other IP had a real short conversation with him at the end of which my IP said "emergency engine shut down", So I started doing it and he cut he fuel. They brought a tug and dolly out and took the aircraft off the pad and long story short There was something called a FUEL CONTROL MODULE that was installed by Dynacorp ( Civilian Maintenance ) that was not rated for flight. Turns out they did it on a few aircraft because they get bonus for aircraft uptime. The UH1 power train is virtually identical to the Abrams, and the old Army Cobras. The Marine Zulu model cobras are essentially the same as well but they have 2 engines and fully articulated rotors. I happened to be in the room when they were talking about it and thought that was pretty innovative that the power train was applied to the tanks and helicopters. Apparently the parts can traverse from aviation to ground applications with out any issue, But the inverse is not allowed. So we probably did more harm than good because that part could never be used in aviation again. They have extremely accurate time before overhaul logs for aviation. I think later revisions this part was upgraded to a digital component called digital engine control module (decu). This was about 15 years ago.

So were you were a rotory Pilot ?

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: tonyskala on October 26, 2020, 03:22:34 AM
Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on October 20, 2020, 12:19:30 PM
An nsn is just a military assigned stock number. As you stated, the parts were actually the same. Not the same story on the converters in the car. I too am a former abrams mechanic l, actually test officer. I wrote many 9f the books you were using to repair them. Out of curiosity because you used several terms along the story- what actual part did you replace? And my personal best for power pack removal from engine shutdown to on the ground is 6 minutes- alone.

Oh it appears i miss led you I am not a heavy vehicle mechanic. I was a flight platoon leader and later a maintenance test pilot. I happened to have stumbled on that part swap info out of sheer luck.

I was the 2nd from last class at Fort Rucker that went through BCS in a UH1. One day we were hovering on a pad at Lowe about to leave on a training flight. My instructor pilot noticed this other instructor pilot and his students jumping up and down trying to get our attention before we took off. My IP told me to set it down and the other IP started running over and his students had fire extinguishers. My IP opened his door and the the other IP had a real short conversation with him at the end of which my IP said "emergency engine shut down", So I started doing it and he cut he fuel. They brought a tug and dolly out and took the aircraft off the pad and long story short There was something called a FUEL CONTROL MODULE that was installed by Dynacorp ( Civilian Maintenance ) that was not rated for flight. Turns out they did it on a few aircraft because they get bonus for aircraft uptime. The UH1 power train is virtually identical to the Abrams, and the old Army Cobras. The Marine Zulu model cobras are essentially the same as well but they have 2 engines and fully articulated rotors. I happened to be in the room when they were talking about it and thought that was pretty innovative that the power train was applied to the tanks and helicopters. Apparently the parts can traverse from aviation to ground applications with out any issue, But the inverse is not allowed. So we probably did more harm than good because that part could never be used in aviation again. They have extremely accurate time before overhaul logs for aviation. I think later revisions this part was upgraded to a digital component called digital engine control module (decu). This was about 15 years ago.

The t53 is nowhere near the same as the agt 1500. 600 hp vs 1500 hp. Not even in the same category. It was originally designed for much larger aircraft but lost the military competiton bid so they redesigned it for use in the next test as the powerplant for chrysler's xm1.... and the rest is history. While some of the components are interchangeable, to say it is nearly identical to the uh1 t53 is not accurate. I built and tested many agts over the years.