News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

An all electric car for a second car ?

Started by 70 sublime, August 03, 2020, 09:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70 sublime

We ( wife and myself ) are thinking about getting a newer car to replace her old crap box car
I have been intrigued about an all electric car
My sister bought a hybrid last year so the electric part on her car has a very short range on it
She seems to think she is saving the world by going as far as she can on the electric and always plugs it in when ever she comes to the farm for a visit
Nope I am not going to save the world by driving an electric car so that is not what I am looking for
I find the thought of electric interesting and different way to get around
No I am not going to convert my Charger to electric  :nana: :nana:
I have my 2018 Ram truck for any just need to get there trips no matter the weather ( snow and cold )
Wife's parents ( getting close to 80 years old ) live about 130 miles ( 200 KM ) away and that would be the longest drive needed

So where I am at on this is it really a good idea for us ?
Being our first try do I want to look at a used electric car or shell out the big bucks to get a new car with lots of warranty ?

Any thoughts on which cars to stay away from used ?

Anyone with an electric not happy they have one and will not replace it with another electric when the time comes ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

451-74Charger

If Elon is reading this, I have a nice 74 body, you can try to convert to Electric. :popcrn: :scratchchin: :rofl:

Nacho-RT74

mercedes is getting serious on this... it's an AMG

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

green69rt

Quote from: 70 sublime on August 03, 2020, 09:39:22 PM
We ( wife and myself ) are thinking about getting a newer car to replace her old crap box car
My sister bought a hybrid last year so the electric part on her car has a very short range on it
She seems to think she is saving the world by going as far as she can on the electric and always plugs it in when ever she comes to the farm for a visit
Nope I am not going to save the world by driving an electric car so that is not what I am looking for
I have my 2018 Ram truck for any just need to get there trips no matter the weather ( snow and cold )
Wife's parents ( getting close to 80 years old ) live about 130 miles ( 200 KM ) away and that would be the longest drive needed

Being our first try do I want to look at a used electric car or shell out the big bucks to get a new car with lots of warranty ?

Anyone with an electric not happy they have one and will not replace it with another electric when the time comes ?

Okay, I admit it.  Wife just bought a Nissan Leaf.   We thought a lot about this and decided to give it a try.   We're not trying to save the earth, we just wanted something cheap to drive. We're both retired so don't commute so finding charging stations at work is not an issue.  We use it as our daily grocery getter and errand runner.  If we need something with more capacity or we want to go somewhere and not worry about running out of charge, we take my Chevy Colorado.   If we want to go on long driving trips we have decided to rent a car and spare our cars from the wear and tear.  So far we have not had any problems.  We don't even have a charging station in our garage, we just plug it into a 110 VAC outlet at night and it's good to go the next day.  If we ever needed to charge faster, we can add a 220VAC outlet and instead of 2% per hour charge we can do about 15%.  Right now I don't ever see us needing the 220 outlet.  Bought ours in June and haven't gone to a gas station to this day.  Range is about 270 miles on a 100% charge (that's like saying you can go 400 miles on a tank of gas, but who runs their tank down to empty?)

Next question will be is "does it run up your electric bill."  So far we can't tell the difference.  I'll be generous and say our bill, long term, may go up $30 a month, or even $50!  Better than the $150-$200 bill from Exxon.

I did read an article in Consumer reports about buying used.  They said that there is not enough data to make any conclusions.  One thing they did say is a used one will be closer to battery replacement which would cost in the range of $10000.  So figure that in.  There are more and more of them coming out so the selection is getting big.

One problem is that they are so new that all makes are not sold everywhere.  We tried to get a Kia and the Kia dealer said none are sold in Texas because no mechanics have been trained on them yet.  I would have had to go to California to get one and drive it back.  Then who would I take it to for repairs?

Also, If you get anything other than a Tesla, the government will give you a $7500 credit (not deduction) that makes a good case for buying new.

Hope this helps.

mr. hemi

I realize you are in Ontario but, "You mean a coal burner".

Electricity does not come from environmentally friendly sources.

You know you are vintage when someone says, "Back in the day", and you can dispute their facts.

70 sublime

Quote from: mr. hemi on August 04, 2020, 07:57:41 AM
No I am not going to convert my Charger to electric  :nana: :nana:

I realize you are in Ontario but, "You mean a coal burner".

Electricity does not come from environmentally friendly sources.

Well if I really want to feel good about the electric power source I can just go over to the barn and plug it in because we have a 10 KW solar panel set up on the roof which I sold my 70 Charger to fund that installation

green69rt

I've heard the "coal burner" remark from folks here in Texas.  They don't really know how electricity is generated in the state.  Late last year the electric council of Texas published the stats on generation.  Don't have the exact numbers in front of me but, in Texas, 50% from Natural gas, 24% from coal, 26% from renewable.  And the percent from coal has been dropping every year as coal generators shut down and are replaced, mostly with renewable.

Seems a contradiction from a state that is so driven by the oil industry.

Edit, just looked it up again.

https://www.eia.gov/state/?sid=TX#tabs-4

RiverRaider

I would be careful buying used and do a lot of research on battery life for the model.  We all have a good idea a fuel powered car with x number of miles should have x amount of life left.
But batteries time and number of charges/discharges abuse may all add to unknown factors for remaining life.  Also check into the extended warranty market if there is not a lot available
options for used electric cars that might indicate too big a risk for those companies to take on.   Are electrics available to lease?  That may be another option.
My first Charger was a Stock Car.

Nacho-RT74

I'm just wondering about battery replacements for cars in the near future! If nowdays is HARD to find decent or really OEM batteries to 3 YO cell phones!!!! pure chinesse fakes!!!
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

John_Kunkel

Every electric car I've ridden in impressed the hell out of me. I'd own one as a daily driver but my finances............
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

taxspeaker

My wife bought a 2009 escape hybrid new in 2009. We let it sit 2 months in april and it terminated the big battery. Local dealer said they dont know how to work on them. After watching 3-4 youtube videos, i bought a refurbished battery for 1900 out of chicago, grabbed my son and replaced it in 15 minutes. No issues and mileage improved too.

GMP440

It's just too limited as far as charging stations to hook up to.  For right now, if the trip is lengthy you need to plan where you will recharge at.  You can't do a full charge in five minutes.
So, those are things to heavily consider when getting an electric car.  Right now , the infrastucture to support electric is still in it's infancy.

green69rt

Quote from: GMP440 on August 24, 2020, 01:09:42 PM

It's just too limited as far as charging stations to hook up to.  For right now, if the trip is lengthy you need to plan where you will recharge at.  You can't do a full charge in five minutes.
So, those are things to heavily consider when getting an electric car.  Right now , the infrastucture to support electric is still in it's infancy.

You're on the mark for long trips.  We have friends that have a Tesla.  They took a trip to Dallas (from Houston) and had to do some planning to make sure they hit the charging stations at a good spot.  Not real easy as it is with a gas station.  Even longer trips would not be very feasible.  You'd have to plan on stopping at charging spots that are close to restaurants so you could eat while charging and not waste time.   That's why we decided to use ours for around town and not longer trips.  Our closest charging station is in a Cracker Barrel parking lot.

The number of charging spots is growing all the time but still not one on every corner as with gas stations.

Nacho-RT74

I'd say more the recharge time than infrastructure itself.

That's where Hybrids are more the way to go nowdays.

stripedelete

Quote from: green69rt on August 24, 2020, 02:32:10 PM

You're on the mark for long trips.  We have friends that have a Tesla.  They took a trip to Dallas (from Houston) and had to do some planning to make sure they hit the charging stations at a good spot.  Not real easy as it is with a gas station.  Even longer trips would not be very feasible.  You'd have to plan on stopping at charging spots that are close to restaurants so you could eat while charging and not waste time.   That's why we decided to use ours for around town and not longer trips.  Our closest charging station is in a Cracker Barrel parking lot.

The number of charging spots is growing all the time but still not one on every corner as with gas stations.

I'm seeing more and more charging stations at newly built hotels.  Hampton Inn/Holiday Inn Express.  IMO a smart business move for the reasons you stated above.

alfaitalia

Why not have a classic that also electric??? Do you get the TV show "Vintage Voltage" over there? Its amazing what they can convert to electric...old and not so old cars. On UK "Top Gear" recently they converted an old 60s Triumph Spitfire to electric....looked great fun to drive...Im not surprised as a stock "Spitty" only developed about 65 horse....the electric one knocked out about 265 and it only weighs about 1600lb!!!!

https://www.dplay.co.uk/show/vintage-voltage
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

70 sublime

Thanks

I will have some more things to watch on the web to get some more ideas  :2thumbs:

Think the hardest part would be to find an interesting older car that is neat but not worth too much or rotten body

I have a 1922 Model T in my garage and have often thought what it would be like if it was electric but then think it would be almost sacrilege to do it to a car that has made it this far

Just to find the right car  :think: :think: :think:

moparjohn

How much does it cost to re-charge a car when you are at a charging station?
Happiness is having a hole in your roof!

alfaitalia

In the UK....using the hideous(!) Tesla Model 3 as an example, it cost about this much....

Home 16 p/kWh £9.60

Public Rapid 30 p/kWh to 80% charge £14.40

Tesla Supercharger 24 p/kWh to 80% charge £11.52

I bet, like many things, I will turn out to be rather less to charge one over there! No doubt a US contributor will be along with that info shortly. Don't forget that fuel is lots more expensive here..... about $6.87 per UK gallon at todays price and exchange rates....so about $5.73 per (smaller) US gallon.....so we have the potential to save rather more. And a lot smaller country with lots of charging points makes using one here a lot more viable than over there until you get a better charging infrastructure......or more likely the much talked about "1000 mile Lithium-Air battery" can be made at a sensible price....apparently within two years...hmmm.!!

green69rt

Quote from: moparjohn on August 25, 2020, 07:03:57 AM
How much does it cost to re-charge a car when you are at a charging station?

For me, charging at a station is $0.30/min or about .45/KWH.  Charging at home is $0.12/KWH.  The stations are pretty expensive.  And all the hype about eMilage is hard to figure out.  Our car has a eMilage rating of 108 MPG.  But that's based on a certain cost for gas and a certain cost for electricity.

Just checking the odometer between charges, I seem to get about 6 - 7miles per KWH.   At 0.45/kwh and a gas price of $2.00/gal  that would be about (2.0/.45) * 6.5 = 30MPG.  If I charge at home its 108 MPG.  I charge at home.

As far as fun to drive, it can be exciting!  Electric cars have no tuning problems, carb problems, turbo lag, etc, etc, etc.  Press the accelerator (not a gas  pedal  ;D ) and away you go.  Press harder and go faster.  Acceleration takes some getting use to. Probably why I get as low mileage as I do.  My wife says I'm having to much fun driving her car!

Nacho-RT74

but how much time takes to get a full charge ?

green69rt

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on August 25, 2020, 10:04:30 AM
but how much time takes to get a full charge ?

Just like your gas tank, you don't empty it out before filling.  We have been getting down around 20% then charging up to about 85% on occasion.  Takes about 40 - 45 minutes at a "fast" charging station which costs a lot ( $12 - $15.)

At home, using a 220 VAC plug, 3 - 4 hours.  Using a 110 outlet 30 - 40 hours.

Thing is, you cannot fast charge to 100%, it would over heat the battery.  Our car steps the charge rate down to "trickle" after the battery is over 80% and the temp gets to some value set by Nissan.  So that last 15 -20% can take 6 - 8 hours.  

We just plug the car into the wall when we get home and the car has a timer built in.  We have set it to charge from 9:00 PM to 4:00 AM which puts about 15 -18 % in the battery.  If we need more than that we just do a manual charge.  All with 110 VAC.  Been keeping the charge between 40  and 80 % so far.

70 sublime

How many miles are you getting say for 50% of the battery capacity ?

Kern Dog

I can understand the appeal.
I am not interested but if someone else is, I wouldn't care...UNLESS they try to say that they are saving the planet or some other similar nonsense.
Just admit it...some people don't care for the smell of gasoline, the noise of the engine or whatever. It is the hypocrisy that annoys me. Mining for chemicals to make batteries harms the environment. Disposal of the batteries harms the environment. Charging the batteries has an effect too. Electric cars are impressive now because they do most of what a gasoline car can do and most people will not see the drawbacks in front of them. They exist though, they are just occur out of their immediate view.

funknut

green69rt

Quote from: 70 sublime on August 25, 2020, 11:19:14 AM
How many miles are you getting say for 50% of the battery capacity ?

I'm going to say, around 150 going from 70% to 20%.  Since the virus, we've been driving about 30 miles a day,  sometimes more, sometimes less.  So charging with 110 VAC at night keeps us more than full, some nights I don't plug in.

green69rt

Quote from: Kern Dog on August 25, 2020, 01:23:32 PM
I can understand the appeal.
I am not interested but if someone else is, I wouldn't care...UNLESS they try to say that they are saving the planet or some other similar nonsense.
Just admit it...some people don't care for the smell of gasoline, the noise of the engine or whatever. It is the hypocrisy that annoys me. Mining for chemicals to make batteries harms the environment. Disposal of the batteries harms the environment. Charging the batteries has an effect too. Electric cars are impressive now because they do most of what a gasoline car can do and most people will not see the drawbacks in front of them. They exist though, they are just occur out of their immediate view.

There are good and bad points.  Yes, mining for material is a minus, so is drilling for oil.  Getting the infrastructure installed(charging stations) is still far from where it needs to be if more people get these cars.  But maintenance is lower (no engine, transmission.)  Still need AC in Houston so that's a match.  There's other stuff but technology marches on and the batteries are getting better.  More people will have solar so using fossil fuels to charge an electric car is changing (our plan.)

Arguments can go on for decades about pros and cons.  We just decided to do it for economic reasons and any environmental benefit is gravy.

Also, Houston has some of the dirtiest air and we just don't want to contribute.

70 sublime

Also, Houston has some of the dirtiest air and we just don't want to contribute.

So your wife will never ride with you in your Charger so you will be the only one that will contribute  :nana: :nana:

Kern Dog

Quote from: green69rt on August 25, 2020, 03:12:57 PM

Hold on for a moment, please realize that the following is not an attack!
Just because the car itself does not pollute, it does not mean that NO pollution exists to build the car or to support the use of it. You are only seeing the car itself.
Take for example the poor, misguided people that say that they do not hunt, they buy meat from the grocery store because it is more humane. Huh?
The result for the animal is the same, it is just the final consumer that never sees all the steps that is required to get the product to them.
New gasoline engines run so clean, I wonder if the electric car is actually a net positive. With internal combustion, you do have to consider the effects of oil refining but in doing so, natural gas is also extracted. How do we generate electricity? In some cases, with natural gas. I am more open minded than I used to be about the subject but I still come back to the efforts and impacts that the batteries have on the environment compared to what gasoline powered vehicles do. Mining for materials, manufacturing, the need to charge them and the eventual disposal. Can the used up batteries be recycled with any success? For me, I think of used batteries as far more harmful than used oil. Oil can be burned in heaters, used to make asphalt and tires, recycled into motor oil again, etc.  If the recycled electric car batteries can be somehow recycled to something useful, I would be swayed a little more toward accepting them. I'm not stating that they can't, I simply do not know the facts of it.
I will admit that the elimination for the need of oil, filters and kitty litter to clean up spills is pretty cool.

alfaitalia

Just to be clear I don't want an electric car and wont have one until I'm made to.....but....I don't think that there is any doubt that if you take everything into account....so that's getting the raw materials, building the car inc the batteries and running it for 150,000 miles then disposing of it works out at WAY less pollution overall than building a gas car and driving that for 150,000 miles. And over there it will be even less pollution on electric cars (compared to gas) as you have so many big engines gas powered cars where fuel is so much cheaper than most of the industrialised world that far more people over there can afford to run V8s etc....you could drive all day here and perhaps see one or perhaps two V8 engined cars. Also here we now produce around 50% of our power through renewables (wind, solar, wave)....so the C02 cost of generating electricity to run cars is getting less everyday. On average most electric powered cars total life C02 output is about 43% less than even the most economical diesel small car (based on average figures of the four or five sites I googled on the subject....YMMV!).....and that figure improves a lot in countries with less fossil fuel generated electricity.

That said....Ive driven a few electric cars recently....the Tesla S was awesome....fastest accelerating car ive ever driven....almost scary in "Ludicrous" mode!.....but they completely lack any soul or feel that you get with an IC car. More like a domestic appliance to get you from A to B than a living breathing entity that is a well engineered gas or even diesel car ....not for me.

green69rt

Quote from: Kern Dog on August 25, 2020, 09:14:56 PM
Quote from: green69rt on August 25, 2020, 03:12:57 PM

Hold on for a moment, please realize that the following is not an attack!
Just because the car itself does not pollute, it does not mean that NO pollution exists to build the car or to support the use of it. You are only seeing the car itself.
Take for example the poor, misguided people that say that they do not hunt, they buy meat from the grocery store because it is more humane. Huh?
The result for the animal is the same, it is just the final consumer that never sees all the steps that is required to get the product to them.
New gasoline engines run so clean, I wonder if the electric car is actually a net positive. With internal combustion, you do have to consider the effects of oil refining but in doing so, natural gas is also extracted. How do we generate electricity? In some cases, with natural gas. I am more open minded than I used to be about the subject but I still come back to the efforts and impacts that the batteries have on the environment compared to what gasoline powered vehicles do. Mining for materials, manufacturing, the need to charge them and the eventual disposal. Can the used up batteries be recycled with any success? For me, I think of used batteries as far more harmful than used oil. Oil can be burned in heaters, used to make asphalt and tires, recycled into motor oil again, etc.  If the recycled electric car batteries can be somehow recycled to something useful, I would be swayed a little more toward accepting them. I'm not stating that they can't, I simply do not know the facts of it.
I will admit that the elimination for the need of oil, filters and kitty litter to clean up spills is pretty cool.

I didn't take it as an attack and I try not to dismiss others thoughts.  You give some good points and many people don't think about the side effects of new technology.  And we could get to a long discussion about all the issues around the so-called green movement or the fossil fuels lobby, etc, etc, etc.  Sometimes it does take a little work to figure out what is best.  And now we're starting to get away from the OP subject.  Hope he gets some thoughts to work with.

GMP440

Something to consider that has not been brought up in this thread; resale value.  What will the resale value, for example, an 8 to 10 year old Tesla will have.  
 Right now, batteries are only good for about 8 years.  What do you do when it's time to trade in or do a private sale and those batteries need replacement?  
 How much depreciation will that vehicle see?  These vehicles may not do well in the secondary market.  It all comes down to infrasture and increasing battery technology.

stripedelete

Quote from: GMP440 on August 30, 2020, 09:21:39 PM
      Something to consider that has not been brought up in this thread; resale value.  What will the resale value, for example, an 8 to 10 year old Tesla will have.  
 Right now, batteries are only good for about 8 years.  What do you do when it's time to trade in or do a private sale and those batteries need replacement?  
 How much depreciation will that vehicle see?  These vehicles may not do well in the secondary market.  It all comes down to infrasture and increasing battery technology.

Good question.  What's happening right now with used Nissan Leaf?  I would think that might be a look into the future.

GMP440

Quote from: stripedelete on August 31, 2020, 12:25:36 PM
Quote from: GMP440 on August 30, 2020, 09:21:39 PM

Good question.  What's happening right now with used Nissan Leaf?  I would think that might be a look into the future.

Well, looked up 2011 Nissan Leafs for sale.  Asking prices are around $5000.  Batteries on those will need to be changed soon and that cost is about $5500.  So, in the end, after buying the car and replacing the batteries, you're up to $10,500.  Looking at that it makes no financial sense to buy one used.  Looks like the resale value won't look good unless you buy one 2 - 3 years old.

Fitz73Chrgr

Telsa is touting that they will soon have "million-mile" batteries.  That company, as well as several others, are working on ways to use old EV batteries for grid power storage. 

I don't think there is any question that EVs are the future.  Oil is not renewable, so it is time.  Don't worry, our has guzzlers won't be outlawed.  But, I can see a future where gasoline is harder to find. 

I will likely purchase an EV in the next few years.  I really like the Rivian R1T/R1S, but the price needs to come down.
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

Aero426

Quote from: Fitz73Chrgr on September 01, 2020, 06:46:34 AM
Telsa is touting that they will soon have "million-mile" batteries.  That company, as well as several others, are working on ways to use old EV batteries for grid power storage. 

This is great, but it is also a nice way of saying that they still do not have a way to recycle the batteries.     

funknut

Lithium batteries are recyclable, but why recycle if you can still get good, usable life out of them?  Use them in cars, then for grid storage, then when they're depleted, recycle.

There is some amazing battery tech on the horizon. Look up Sodium "glass batteries" if you're so inclined.  Greatly improved energy density without the fickle Lithium. They are making good progress on the cathodes, not many more hurdles after that.

RiverRaider

How well do electrics do in the -20F to -30F temps?  I know two people that have electric cars and neither of them drive them in the winter in Wisconsin.
They both say its because of the sodium chloride, magnesium chloride and all the other winter deicing brews that get applied to our roads but when pressed
they really don't know if the cold itself would be a issue.
My first Charger was a Stock Car.

green69rt

Quote from: 70 sublime on August 25, 2020, 05:22:54 PM

So your wife will never ride with you in your Charger so you will be the only one that will contribute  :nana: :nana:

Missed this note. 

No, she keeps bugging me to get it on the road.  She drove my old RT while we lived in Norfolk Virginia.  Drove it 130MPH while racing some guys in a Torino.   Beat the snot out of them.  Now wants to see what this one will do. :yesnod:

alfaitalia

Tesla loose money on every car they sell. When the Big Boys like Merc, BMW and the VW group and others get properly into EVs they will be better and cheaper than the small Tesla company can ever do and I suspect Tesla will stop building cars making  their used value very low. I was reading in a news journal (whilst waiting for the dentist!!) that this has always been Musks plan....to build the car as a show case to show what his batteries can do and then, when everyone else sees what possible and builds the competition cars he will walk away from car production to be the dominant World leader is advanced battery production for EVs....sounds like a plan to me.

funknut

Tesla cars are profitable on their own, what is costing Tesla heaps of money is all the buildout they are doing for the factories to ramp production.

I don't doubt Elon is looking beyond electric cars, but it seems unlikely that they would spend billions of dollars to build out the gigafactories just to walk away in a few years time.  The auto industry has had 8 years since the Model S launched to get in the game and they are just now introducing electric cars that can compete with Tesla on range.

Will Tesla be a dramatically different company in another 10 years?  I'm not so sure, they are just now hitting their stride.

Aero426

Quote from: RiverRaider on September 01, 2020, 01:46:30 PM
How well do electrics do in the -20F to -30F temps?  I know two people that have electric cars and neither of them drive them in the winter in Wisconsin.
They both say its because of the sodium chloride, magnesium chloride and all the other winter deicing brews that get applied to our roads but when pressed
they really don't know if the cold itself would be a issue.

Plan on a significant reduction in range in very cold temps.     If you can still pull 200 miles in the cold,  you can charge it up overnight at home, or whatever.     However, good luck charging it up at your deer camp.  

I would not expect corrosion to be any different from a gasoline car.     The typical early adopter of electrics are people who view the car as a device, not unlike the latest IPhone or tech gadget.     Most will trade out of it for the next big thing before the car gets too old.     A ten year old Leaf or Chevy Bolt will have the resale value of a Nokia flip phone.  

70 sublime

Yes I think the resale value has a lot to do with getting into an electric or not

Any of the used ones I have seen for sale seem to be new enough that the sellers remembers how much they paid for it and are picking a price based on that
I look at a used electric and think how much is it going to cost me to keep it running for another 5 years

For now I believe committing to a new electric right is also committing to trading in every 2-3 years and paying what ever the dealership says they want to screw you by  :brickwall:

GMP440

Quote from: 70 sublime on September 02, 2020, 01:14:10 PM
Yes I think the resale value has a lot to do with getting into an electric or not

Any of the used ones I have seen for sale seem to be new enough that the sellers remembers how much they paid for it and are picking a price based on that
I look at a used electric and think how much is it going to cost me to keep it running for another 5 years

For now I believe committing to a new electric right is also committing to trading in every 2-3 years and paying what ever the dealership says they want to screw you by  :brickwall:

In reference to the last statement;  I agree if you trade every 2 - 3 years then there will be buyers willing to pick them up on the secondary market.  But as time goes on not so much. 
  I bet most of these will end up in the salvage yards. It just goes back to and relates to a statement I made in a previous post; who's going to spend the $6000 to replace battery packs in an electric car , that after a number of years may only be worth $4,000 - $5,000. 

70 sublime

Maybe a different way to look at an electric car would be how much does it cost in electricity to go 60 miles ??

I have a 2018 Ram truck that gets more miles on it as a car than a truck
I checked the fuel trip meter today
Since I am in Canada it says my average is 13.9 L per 100 km
Which works out to 13.9 L per 60 miles

So with the price of gas around here I am spending between $14 and $15 to go 60 miles just in fuel
Our over night hydro rates ( when a car would be re charged) are sitting at 12.8 cents per kw

So a question to electric car owners would be how many kw does it take you to go 60 miles on an average assuming no heat or air conditioning was used ?

If I can get this number I would be able to figure out what value I could buy a car for and break even just on fuel savings if I drive it far enough

I know I have to pay for extra car insurance for another car and wear and tear like tires etc ... 

funknut

The Tesla Model 3 performance uses 28-30 kWh per 100mi, so 17.5 kWh per 60 miles.  At your rates it's less than $2.25

70 sublime