News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

No timing marks on this 1960 slant 6

Started by lloyd3, August 05, 2020, 07:22:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lloyd3

Can't see any indication of TDC on this balancer anywhere. How does one set timing?  There is a nice big plate (attached to the block) with all the before and after numbers clearly marked and there is a dished-out section on the face of the harmonic balancer but... there are no marks or slots. Also, the adjustment on the distributor nut is very limited, with a plate allowing only about an inch of movement. I've never seen that one before.  Somebody gave my son an nice older inductive timing light which seems to work just fine (my old one would give you a jolt if you'd brush up against anything).  Clearly, I'm a bit rusty but I remembered to disconnect the vacuum advance hose and plug it and I'm connected to number 1 plug wire.  What am I missing?

RallyeMike

Lloyd - I'd be surprised if there is not some kind of indication. It could buried under grease or paint? If I encountered this, I'd pull the #1 plug, spin the engine with the key slowly until I found TDC compression. Then start cleaning and scraping for some kind of indicator on the balancer. Its got to be there.

If by chance there is nothing, rig up a long rod for a dial indicator, find TDC off the top of the piston through the spark plug hole and make your own mark.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

b5blue

I recall stumbling across several forums dedicated to the mighty leaning tower of power. Do a "Slant Six" search.  :scratchchin:

lloyd3

I have done an initial search and indeed, there are several sites dedicated to the "leaning tower of power".  I'll just need to do more homework.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: lloyd3 on August 05, 2020, 07:22:33 PM
Can't see any indication of TDC on this balancer anywhere. How does one set timing?  There is a nice big plate (attached to the block) with all the before and after numbers clearly marked and there is a dished-out section on the face of the harmonic balancer but... there are no marks or slots. Also, the adjustment on the distributor nut is very limited, with a plate allowing only about an inch of movement. I've never seen that one before.  Somebody gave my son an nice older inductive timing light which seems to work just fine (my old one would give you a jolt if you'd brush up against anything).  Clearly, I'm a bit rusty but I remembered to disconnect the vacuum advance hose and plug it and I'm connected to number 1 plug wire.  What am I missing?

The 60 6cylinder can have several timing set ups from a decal on the front of the cover to a welded tab to a bolt on tab, there's also 2 dampener styles, but both have an incredibly small notch on the flat of the top of the "ring" section in front of the belt groove, the last pic is the dampner you say you have, the notch is very small....

Mike

lloyd3

Thanks Mike, appreciate it. The reason for the timing episode was to see if our heating problem had anything to do with the ignition settings. I'm fairly certain it doesn't. We've either got a sludge build up in the block or...somebody replaced a freeze plug (or plugs) by driving them into the block. Either way, we're going to have to pull the motor and go through it to find the reason for the heating problems. The thing smokes like a fiend as well so we might as well re-ring it while it's out of the car. Hope your daughter's car is far less trouble.