News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New Vendor - 3D Printing

Started by Dano 1, August 05, 2020, 09:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dano 1

Hey everyone, by now some of you have probably seen my build thread or my thread about 3D printed fender tags.

Build thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,131811.0.html
Fender tags:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,136550.0.html

I've been working on combining my day job as a product development engineer with my Charger project and general car hobby into a side-business designing and producing parts and accessories for our cars. I've geared up with a 3D scanner, CAD software, and two different 3D printers to produce just about anything I or you can dream up. I've been working on parts for my car as I've needed them and my plan is to have a few different off-the-shelf offerings of more universal parts and offer custom design/development services to anyone looking for something unique or one off.

Take a look at the below parts and pieces I've done for my own car to get an idea of capabilities. I plan to update this thread as I get products ready for ordering and would love to get other people's feedback or requests. Feel free to follow along through any of the following:
Instagram: @next.gen.designs.
Facebook: Next Gen Designs

Mods feel free to move this thread if it belongs elsewhere.

66-70 B-Body console repair/reinforcement plate
- Matched to the form of the rear portion of the console which is frequently cracked/broken
- Printed in ABS plastic, the same as the base material of the console allowing for easy bonding

Grill repair components
- Reinforcements for broken grill areas
- Printed in ABS plastic, the same as the base material of the grill allowing for easy bonding

Console Gauge Pod
- Houses any two 2-1/16" gauges
- Designed to exactly match the profile of the 66-70 console top plate
- Mounts with high-strength magnets requiring no holes or damage to the console plate and easily removed for shows etc.
- Works with auto or 4-speed consoles

1969 Charger 383 2bbl, R4 red, White hat special project

Check out my website for 3D printed restoration parts and accessories.
www.nextgendesignsnc.com

moparguy01

What are the sizes your machines are capable of? I am wanting to get a part made to test a design. If it works I will get it made out of aluminum. I would have an stl file to work it.

Russ

Just 6T9 CHGR

Dan, this is a great service.   Might I suggest a few more grill repair parts?

On my '69, I recently had to repair the drivers side door stop & pivot point.  The weight of the emblems make these areas susceptible to breakage.

This would work for at least 68 & 69

Also another common break area would be the corner "points" of the grill as well where these fill the bumper gap.

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Dano 1

Quote from: moparguy01 on August 06, 2020, 01:03:00 AM
What are the sizes your machines are capable of? I am wanting to get a part made to test a design. If it works I will get it made out of aluminum. I would have an stl file to work it.

Russ

I'd be happy to help with that, Russ. My larger machine has a build volume of 9.83in x 8.3in x 8.3in and can do a variety of materials. If your part won't fit in that volume they can often be easily broken up into multiple smaller parts and glued together, especially for proof of concept models. I also have a partnership with a local CNC machine shop owned by a friend of mine so if you'd like any help coordinating getting the part made out of aluminum I'd be happy to help there as well. Shoot me an email - dan@nextgendesignsnc.com and we'll go from there.

Just 6T9 CHGR - Great suggestion on the headlight door stop, I need to check my grill and see if mine are intact or not. I will certainly add that to the list of parts to get designed. I am actually working on the grill corners as we speak. One of mine was intact and the other was broken but I actually found the broken piece in a box of misc. parts in the trunk  :o. I have a 3D scan of the grill corner and am working on creating a new 3D model of the part to print from, stay tuned!

www.nextgendesignsnc.com

Lennard

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Dano 1 on August 06, 2020, 07:37:53 AM

Just 6T9 CHGR - Great suggestion on the headlight door stop, I need to check my grill and see if mine are intact or not. I will certainly add that to the list of parts to get designed. I am actually working on the grill corners as we speak. One of mine was intact and the other was broken but I actually found the broken piece in a box of misc. parts in the trunk  :o. I have a 3D scan of the grill corner and am working on creating a new 3D model of the part to print from, stay tuned!

You can tell if its broken when you see your door doing the old sag-a-rooski....you will be able to see the headlight at the top behind the door...

Untitled
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Dano 1

Make a casual suggestion and you shall receive...I had a couple hours yesterday so I checked my headlight doors and found one broken. Luckily the other side was intact so I could measure/document it to generate a CAD model. Quick hour on the printer and we've got some repair parts. I printed them in silver to show the design of the part and how it fits the headlight door. The final parts would be printed in black ASA/ABS plastic, ready to bond.

Broken headlight door stop

CAD model of the repair part

Printed repair part overlaid on the broken door

Side by side comparison of the original headlight door and the mocked up repair

If anyone needs one or both of these just let me know.

www.nextgendesignsnc.com

VegasCharger

Awesome stuff Dan!!! You'll be a fan favorite.

:cheers:

Kern Dog

Buy that man a L A P DANCE !
(When the dancing tramps are allowed to frolic around naked again)

Dano 1

Thanks for the feedback guys, if anyone has any other requests or suggestions just let me know!

www.nextgendesignsnc.com

kent

You the Man Dan! Thanks for everything!
Kent

Just 6T9 CHGR

Nice work!  Wish I had this in my hands a few months ago before I busted my azz making my own.

Oh yeah....it IS possible to remove the door with the grill in the car.   Its a bit of a PITA to get the 2 screws on the fender side but it can be done....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Just 6T9 CHGR

Actually Dan, I have a question about these.

Is the "tab" part thicker to keep the same plane as if the original piece were there?  If not this will make the door higher since the tab will sit higher on the door..
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bill440rt

This.
This is awesome stuff.  :cheers:
I've repaired those headlight tabs for years just like that, fabbing a tab out of metal and rivet bonding it. Then, using adhesive and fillers to make it seamless. Those tabs would be great to have.
Same with the outer grille corners.
Let me know when they are available, thanks!  :cheers:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Old Moparz

Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

RallyeMike

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Dano 1

Thanks for the kind words everyone, stay tuned as I get more parts and designs ready to go.

Quote from: Old Moparz on August 12, 2020, 01:28:54 PM
Nice job on the repair parts.  :cheers:

Wonder where all the naysayers are now?....LOL   :shruggy: :nana:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109655.msg1345848.html#msg1345848

Older link:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,82958.0.html

Nice find Old Moparz, that was before I had my car and any real involvement in the forum. 3d printing technology has come a long way from even 2014, with more and more patents held by the big players in the industry expiring which allows smaller companies to cascade tech down to affordable home machines.

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on August 11, 2020, 04:30:50 PM
Actually Dan, I have a question about these.

Is the "tab" part thicker to keep the same plane as if the original piece were there?  If not this will make the door higher since the tab will sit higher on the door..

I double checked this on my grill and you were spot on. I went back into the model and added some thickness where the tab contacts the grill frame and a small rib across the top to add some strength. What's amazing about this technology is that I can make a quick tweak in my CAD model and have parts in hand an hour later.

www.nextgendesignsnc.com

greycharger

Is the type of plastic making the grille known? Can it be welded to attach the repair pieces?

JB400

Just out of curiosity, why didn't they put it on the bottom of the headlight door instead?

66FBCharger

'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Dano 1

Quote from: greycharger on August 12, 2020, 10:04:04 PM
Is the type of plastic making the grille known? Can it be welded to attach the repair pieces?

The vast majority of plastic parts in these cars are ABS which can be bonded or welded fairly easily. You can also make your own adhesive by dissolving scraps of ABS in acetone to create a 100% like material joint. This is a great use of excess printer filament and scrap parts, I can include some scrap material for making adhesive if that would be of interest.

Quote from: JB400 on August 12, 2020, 10:36:08 PM
Just out of curiosity, why didn't they put it on the bottom of the headlight door instead?

That would certainly make sense but my only guess/assumption is they didn't want anything to be visible when the doors are open, or possibly interfere with the grill frame.  :shruggy:

www.nextgendesignsnc.com

Mopar Nut

Quote from: Dano 1 on August 13, 2020, 01:13:33 PM
The vast majority of plastic parts in these cars are ABS which can be bonded or welded fairly easily. You can also make your own adhesive by dissolving scraps of ABS in acetone to create a 100% like material joint. This is a great use of excess printer filament and scrap parts, I can include some scrap material for making adhesive if that would be of interest.

That's a good idea.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Mopar Nut

Will you be making reinforcements for areas like in the corners of the grill. Of course for the inside on both sides.