News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Broken seat springs

Started by grdprx, August 06, 2020, 08:00:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grdprx

I'm redoing the front bucket seats in my 68, I discovered two broken springs on the driver's seat bottom.   :brickwall:
What is the best way to fix this?  Is welding an option, or better to replace?  I was unable to locate any specific replacement parts for the seat springs.

On the plus side, the passenger seat recover went pretty well.  Hog rings nicked me up a bit, but hey, that's part of the experience, right?

grdprx

I got some replacement spring off Amazon in an attempt to bend new springs.  Why would the factory weld one of the clamps on the seat frame?!?  I believe it's the top photo I posted, the inboard side of the seat.

DanielRobert

go to an upholstery shop and ask for 'no sag' spring(comes in a coil) theres different gauges for seat and back so youll have to match up.
1972 Charger
1969 Roadrunner
1974 Trans Am

grdprx

Update:  The springs I ordered for Amazon worked out pretty good, I did end up going by a local upholstery shop to get some clips.  There were a bunch of different old cars in there, I'll probably end up having them install my headliner.  Anyway, I'm pretty pleased with how the seats turned out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FE3PSZE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1