News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The Sturgis Rally is on

Started by greycharger, August 08, 2020, 10:41:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

b5blue

odcics2

MoparMike68

Quote from: odcics2 on September 19, 2020, 08:05:51 AM

https://www.foxnews.com/health/sturgis-motorcycle-rally-coronavirus-cases-south-dakota      :shruggy:

Predictably some in the media breathlessly report on this non-peer reviewed model, built on incredibly faulty assumptions that do not reflect the actual facts and data.  :shruggy:

odcics2

The surprise is that Fox is peddling this....   

MoparMike68

Quote from: odcics2 on September 19, 2020, 09:57:54 AM
To the contrary of popular belief Fox News is considered center right even though extreme far right commentators
such as Hannity are affiliated.  :yesnod:

John_Kunkel

Quote from: MoparMike68 on September 19, 2020, 09:10:07 AM

https://www.foxnews.com/health/sturgis-motorcycle-rally-coronavirus-cases-south-dakota      :shruggy:

Predictably some in the media breathlessly report on this non-peer reviewed model, built on incredibly faulty assumptions that do not reflect the actual facts and data.  :shruggy:

What "actual facts and data"? 460,000 anti-maskers in close proximity for days. Not hard to believe.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

MoparMike68

Quote from: John_Kunkel on September 19, 2020, 02:34:27 PM
Quote from: MoparMike68 on September 19, 2020, 09:10:07 AM

What "actual facts and data"? 460,000 anti-maskers in close proximity for days. Not hard to believe.
Also not hard to disbelieve, facts data and science don't apply to the other side I get it, that's what you mean.
but during the riots according to "the science" nobody had issues and it was defended vigorously, please. 

Kern Dog

For a lonely loser that has no friends and stays indoors all the time, reading about other people having fun must be very sad.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: MoparMike68 on September 19, 2020, 06:28:16 PM

Also not hard to disbelieve, facts data and science don't apply to the other side I get it, that's what you mean.

Again, what "facts and data" specific to Sturgis? 

BTW, I rode a rigid-frame Sporty to Sturgis in '71....before it was taken over by a bunch of posers.

greycharger

Quote from: birdsandbees on August 15, 2020, 05:10:34 PM
Wow.. sounds like a fun place!  :brickwall:

QuoteThe death is the third from a crash at the 2020 Sturgis Rally, which is up two from the same time in 2019.

Through 6 a.m. Friday, authorities have made 117 DUI arrests, 112 felony drug arrests and handed out 1,044 citations.

There have been 88 crashes (2 fatal, 47 injury and 39 non-injury) at the event so far.

It's a money maker for the county. They get you arraigned and right back on the street so they can maybe ding you again.

Kern Dog

Quote from: John_Kunkel on September 20, 2020, 02:35:34 PM

BTW, I rode a rigid-frame Sporty to Sturgis in '71....before it was taken over by a bunch of posers.
Oh yeah, we all know that you are an O G . :hah:

odcics2

Quote from: MoparMike68 on September 19, 2020, 02:23:41 PM
Quote from: odcics2 on September 19, 2020, 09:57:54 AM
To the contrary of popular belief Fox News is considered center right even though extreme far right commentators
such as Hannity are affiliated.  :yesnod:

Too bad.     :rotz:

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Kern Dog on September 22, 2020, 12:12:13 AM

Keeping a cheap shot tally? Who's ahead.

MoparMike68

1970Moparmann

I really would like to know who, or how, they came up with these numbers?    There is no way in hell that these numbers are substantiated?     Like others have said, let's then see the numbers from the "friendly protests".   
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Mike DC

Some foreign economists studied the BLM protests over the summer for Covid spikes.  They didn't see any.  

The BLM protests have involved significant property damage and/or violence about 7% of the time.  That figure comes from another foreign nonpartisan research group.  

Portland & Seattle have gotten messy, yeah.  But the media keeps forgetting to mention that those kinds of riots are semi-common there.  BLM is just the excuse the rioters latched onto this year.  In past years they used other excuses.  

Truth is, there's nothing in these riots that doesn't happen because of sports team riots every few years.  (No, seriously - it's ALL there.  Thousands of people in groups, multiple days in a row, multiple cities at once, fires, looting businesses, destroying cars, violence, murders, hundreds of arrests, etc.)  But sports riots are not politically useful.  When the Canadians or Giants or Pistons win a championship, we don't get our panties in a crunch and start shitting on the constitution.

. . . but I'm getting pretty far afield from the Sturgis rally here.   

MoparMike68

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on September 23, 2020, 11:18:35 AM

Some foreign economists studied the BLM protests over the summer for Covid spikes.  They didn't see any.  

The BLM protests have involved significant property damage and/or violence about 7% of the time.  That figure comes from another foreign nonpartisan research group.  

Portland & Seattle have gotten messy, yeah.  But the media keeps forgetting to mention that those kinds of riots are semi-common there.  BLM is just the excuse the rioters latched onto this year.  In past years they used other excuses.  

Truth is, there's nothing in these riots that doesn't happen because of sports team riots every few years.  (No, seriously - it's ALL there.  Thousands of people in groups, multiple days in a row, multiple cities at once, fires, looting businesses, destroying cars, violence, murders, hundreds of arrests, etc.)  But sports riots are not politically useful.  When the Canadians or Giants or Pistons win a championship, we don't get our panties in a crunch and start shitting on the constitution.

. . . but I'm getting pretty far afield from the Sturgis rally here.    

There's no way in hell the protesters didn't spread Covid but the bikers did, either they both didn't or they both did, furthermore I don't care what a foreign research group said that certainly doesn't make it fact. A lot of cities were on fire across the nation with mass looting Philadelphia didn't experience this kind of vandalism, lose of police cruisers and looting since the race riots of 1964.
This is fact I've seen it with my own eyes I don't need some foreign agency to tell me otherwise, NY same as Philadelphia.
It always makes me laugh when CNN reports from one of these war zones with fire and looting behind them and they say with a straight face that their mostly peaceful.
I don't remember this happening when a sports team lost and I'm near Philadelphia a city that has a reputation of having the meanest fans in America.

XH29N0G

Since it came up.  I'll pipe in.  I support BLM (and I don't mean bureau of land management but I don't have an issue with them either).  I'm not part of a domestic terrorist group.  The statement is simple.  It doesn't mean other lives don't matter.  It just means that black lives matter.  I live in a community with black people and I don't see any issues with supporting something that says they shouldn't be killed.  I also have a recent student who is black.  He is pulled over more than I ever was. There is a difference in the way he has been treated compared to me.  I recognize this and see it as an extension to the peaceful side of this movement.    
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Mike DC

QuoteThere's no way in hell the protesters didn't spread Covid but the bikers did, either they both didn't or they both did, furthermore I don't care what a foreign research group said that certainly doesn't make it fact. A lot of cities were on fire across the nation with mass looting Philadelphia didn't experience this kind of vandalism, lose of police cruisers and looting since the race riots of 1964.

How many of the those protests events have you personally visited?  

I haven't been visiting them.  So pretty much all my knowledge about them is secondhand in some way.  

I'll take foreign researchers' data-based conclusions over a bunch of crap on the US new networks.  Don't tell me CNN is agenda-pushing crap while FOX news is honest (or vice versa).  They are all corporate networks that run on people's tribalism.

QuoteThis is fact I've seen it with my own eyes I don't need some foreign agency to tell me otherwise, NY same as Philadelphia.
It always makes me laugh when CNN reports from one of these war zones with fire and looting behind them and they say with a straight face that their mostly peaceful.
I don't remember this happening when a sports team lost and I'm near Philadelphia a city that has a reputation of having the meanest fans in America.
As for BLM I believe they are a domestic terrorist organization and should be dealt with as such.

These pics are from US/Canandian sports riots in recent years.  

It all looks like rioting to me.  I wouldn't want any of it happening outside my front door.  But I wouldn't want any of those fans prosecuted as terrorists either.  I fail to see how the summer protests are so different from this.  

Kern Dog

Quote from: John_Kunkel on September 22, 2020, 01:37:23 PM
Quote from: Kern Dog on September 22, 2020, 12:12:13 AM

Keeping a cheap shot tally? Who's ahead.

I get your original point, Sir.
For motorcycle enthusiasts, it seems that some do see the weekend warrior motorcycle dudes as an embarrassment.
I understand that.
The "O G" reference means Original Gangster, if you and I were on better terms, you'd see it as a playful jab.
In this rare instance, it actually was not meant to offend you. I do not expect you to trust me on that, given the history here.

odcics2

odcics2

greycharger

[/quote]
There's no way in hell the protesters didn't spread Covid but the bikers did,

[/quote]

Of course protesters spread Covid. At least they were respectful enough to wear masks. The difference is they were exercising their First Amendment Rights rather than throwing an FU party in the middle of a national crisis. 

They could have worn masks at their party as a sign of respect and fellowship with their fellow Americans, but very few did. It's an attitude that was not new to the Rally.