News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Battery Options

Started by CRW-FK5, August 11, 2020, 09:43:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CRW-FK5

I am in need of a battery replacement for my 1970 Charger R/T and see that Summit has 2 group 27's to chose from.  Does anyone have experience with either of the 2 shown in the attachment below, and have any suggestions on which one would be suitable?  There is a big price difference and if I can get away with the cheaper one I'd like to go that route obviously.  Thanks.

ODZKing

Quote from: CRW-FK5 on August 11, 2020, 09:43:50 AM
I am in need of a battery replacement for my 1970 Charger R/T and see that Summit has 2 group 27's to chose from.  Does anyone have experience with either of the 2 shown in the attachment below, and have any suggestions on which one would be suitable?  There is a big price difference and if I can get away with the cheaper one I'd like to go that route obviously.  Thanks.
I was in need of one for my 73 and Summit said they were on back order, same as Jegs.
I contacted Jim's Battery and they had one ready in about 4 weeks. (The old Antique auto Battery)
Their website is still under construction but I listed below. My AGM group 27 was $300 plus shipping.
https://jimsbatterymfg.com/shop/
602 W Rayen Ave, Youngstown, OH 44502
Closes 4:30PM
Phone: (800) 426-7580
I will tell you right now they are difficult to reach but the best time to try is between 1 and 4 pm eastern.

b5blue

Amazon has a fair deal on Optama red top.

CRW-FK5

Thanks for the suggestions.  My main question, though, is of the 2 batteries shown below are there any real benefits to going with the more expensive one or would the lower cost one be fine.

ODZKing

Quote from: CRW-FK5 on August 13, 2020, 06:51:05 AM
Thanks for the suggestions.  My main question, though, is of the 2 batteries shown below are there any real benefits to going with the more expensive one or would the lower cost one be fine.

Sorry, forgot about the question. One has more cranking amps, 600 vs 10,000 (that is max, doesn't say what is average). Your average battery like one for my Chrysler 300, has 750-850. That is cold cranking amps. Unless you have a lot of electrical options on your Charger, not sure why you would need more than the average.
But folks like to be safe.
Lets face it, is it going to last more than 8-10 years either way ... no. So your call on that. My  :Twocents:

70 sublime

How big was the battery that died in your car ?
If it has the same cranking amps as the smaller one of the two you want to choose from then I would just get the less expensive one
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

CRW-FK5

Quote from: ODZKing on August 13, 2020, 08:10:35 AM
Quote from: CRW-FK5 on August 13, 2020, 06:51:05 AM
Thanks for the suggestions.  My main question, though, is of the 2 batteries shown below are there any real benefits to going with the more expensive one or would the lower cost one be fine.

Sorry, forgot about the question. One has more cranking amps, 600 vs 10,000 (that is max, doesn't say what is average). Your average battery like one for my Chrysler 300, has 750-850. That is cold cranking amps. Unless you have a lot of electrical options on your Charger, not sure why you would need more than the average.
But folks like to be safe.
Lets face it, is it going to last more than 8-10 years either way ... no. So your call on that. My  :Twocents:
Yeah, I'm not sure what the more expensive battery is targeted for, but odd that it was spec'd they way it is.  Thanks for the feedback and advice.

CRW-FK5

Quote from: 70 sublime on August 13, 2020, 08:39:33 AM
How big was the battery that died in your car ?
If it has the same cranking amps as the smaller one of the two you want to choose from then I would just get the less expensive one
The one in my car now has a slightly different number on it (27-MB-70).  Part number is 2642967.  All I can tell from that number with certainty is that it's a 70 amp Group 27.  Nothing about CCA's.  I just don't want to end up with an under powered battery in there.  The one I have now seems fine.  Probably would have been a simple choice had Summit not had that second option in there (lol).

CRW-FK5

After waiting 7.5 months for my TBO-BB-S27MRL battery from Summit, with updated ship dates continuing to slip, with the latest extending out to September of this year, I have decided my best option may be to just buy a regular battery and add one of those covers that make it look period correct.  I would like to get feedback from anyone who has gone that route.  Anything to watch for as far as compatibility?  What about looks?  Do they look good?

By the way, has anyone else experienced long delays like this on batteries through Summit or Jegs recently?

ODZKing

I had originally ordered one from Jegs, but they were back ordered.
I searched for a couple days and came upon the old Antique Auto Battery which I had ordered from years ago. I cancelled the Jegs order then.

It was bought out by a fellow who worked there for years and became Jim's Battery.
Jim's Battery Mfg.
602 W. Rayen Avenue
Youngstown, OH 44502
330-480-0755
I just checked the website and seems they have the AAB website back up now. But I do not see the classic batteries listed Seems it is not the same as Jim's..
The Jim's website still says under construction.
https://jimsbatterymfg.com/
However I had to call last year. There was a 6 week wait and was actually less than Jegs. I ordered it and is in the car as of last summer.
Couldn't hurt to call although at the time their hours were limited. Had my best luck around noon- 2pm.
Good luck, these things are getting hard to find.

ALBSURE1091

Quote from: CRW-FK5 on April 05, 2021, 10:41:18 AM
After waiting 7.5 months for my TBO-BB-S27MRL battery from Summit, with updated ship dates continuing to slip, with the latest extending out to September of this year, I have decided my best option may be to just buy a regular battery and add one of those covers that make it look period correct.  I would like to get feedback from anyone who has gone that route.  Anything to watch for as far as compatibility?  What about looks?  Do they look good?

By the way, has anyone else experienced long delays like this on batteries through Summit or Jegs recently?

I picked up a battery from Walmart and used the kit. Looks great!

ALBSURE1091

Pic in the car

CRW-FK5

CRW-FK5

Quote from: ALBSURE1091 on April 06, 2021, 03:15:16 PM
Pic in the car
I  assume then that the center piece (strip) on the Mopar cover replaces the 2 cell covers on the new battery to make it flush.  Is that correct?  It seems that would have to be the case with the covers on the new battery sitting proud of the top surface.  And then are the green cell caps on the Mopar battery just dummy caps?

ALBSURE1091

It was an Everstart battery but it didn't have the caps like your picture. Was just a long sticker on top. The green caps are just stick on's. I believe the guy that I bought the kit from also has caps that would go in the holes if you were to take those Everstart caps off the battery you shwoing.  He has Red Yellow and Green cap kits.

Here's the link to the guy I got kit from

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Battery-S24MG-green-1966-74-Glue-Caps-kit/312326380356

CRW-FK5

Quote from: ALBSURE1091 on April 08, 2021, 01:10:24 PM
It was an Everstart battery but it didn't have the caps like your picture. Was just a long sticker on top. The green caps are just stick on's. I believe the guy that I bought the kit from also has caps that would go in the holes if you were to take those Everstart caps off the battery you shwoing.  He has Red Yellow and Green cap kits.

Here's the link to the guy I got kit from

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Battery-S24MG-green-1966-74-Glue-Caps-kit/312326380356
Makes sense now.  I was thinking of the full plastic tops like this.  Thanks for you help.  Much simpler.

ALBSURE1091

I was considering one of those before I found the kits. I had a Turbostart retro battery but it finally went bad. They over $350 now and for the quality they are I felt it was too much. Even the one I had always had to be charged up every few months after only 2 years. With this kit you get the modern battery and the old school look for half the price.