News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Key cylinder question

Started by tucknroll, August 15, 2020, 01:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tucknroll

Hey guys, got a 69 charger. Car wants to start and does but the key has to be turned to a sweet spot or it shuts off. Installed a new starter switch and put the old key cylinder back in and it's doing the same thing.  Wondering if the key cylinder is bad. Any ideas? Thanks

b5blue

Try with new switches "new" cylinder? (Or did it not come with one?)

tucknroll

It didn't come with a new cylinder.  The old one was fine I thought.  It springs back too far past the run position. I can hold it in the right spot but if I let go it springs back to kill it. Took the cylinder out and cranked it with a screwdriver but it still bounces back too far. Since the switch is new its gotta be the key cylinder right?

b5blue

No I bought an ignition switch for my 70 that worked when tested but installed would not reach cranking position.  :scratchchin:

Bronzedodge

"New" doesn't always equal "good" especially with today's China reproductions.  It could be a bad switch, if it acts the same without the lock cylinder.
Mopar forever!

tucknroll

Surely the new switch wouldn't be doing the same thing the old one did but maybe! When I take the key cylinder out and start it with a screwdriver should it stay in the run position or does the key cylinder somehow keep it from bouncing back to off position?

b5blue

Mine is in the column so not the same.  :shruggy:

Plumcrazy

Quote from: tucknroll on August 16, 2020, 07:30:02 AM
It didn't come with a new cylinder.  The old one was fine I thought.  It springs back too far past the run position. I can hold it in the right spot but if I let go it springs back to kill it. Took the cylinder out and cranked it with a screwdriver but it still bounces back too far. Since the switch is new its gotta be the key cylinder right?

If it still returns too far with the cylinder out, I don't see how it could be the cylinder.  I would try another switch

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

tucknroll

Turns out its electrical.  Got a loose wire somewhere.  I'll wiggle everything and it will do it but then snug them all in and it fires right up. Just wish I knew the exact wire causing it