News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wet sanding primer and base coat application

Started by AmadeusCharger500, August 24, 2020, 09:27:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmadeusCharger500

What is the time period between wet sanding 2k primer (400, and 600 grit) to application of base coat?

GMP440

I would let everything dry out for a day.  Then, the next day spray on the base coat. 

FJ571440B

Depending on how long its been on there I'd give it a few days. Especially if not production. Grey pad before prepping. You don't want anything to suck in
Next time....

Canadian1968

Are you asking how long to let the primer sit before you START to sand ? Or are you wet sanding the primer and asking if you should wait after ?

You don't need to "wait"  after wet sanding.

AmadeusCharger500

Thanks everyone for your input. I am wet sanding the primer 400 grit and then 600. It's taking a lot longer than I expected. I am using a guide coat for both grits. So my question is for both minimum time and maximum time between when I'm done how long do I have to apply the color coat. Gmp440 offered me the minimum of a day. I'm well beyond that as I started 3 days ago. Also, please understand, I work slow, I am only doing the trunk lid and the hood, and still it's taking me forever it seems. I'm looking at a base coat goal of Friday.

hemi-hampton

Quote from: FJ571440B on August 25, 2020, 10:18:21 AM
Depending on how long its been on there I'd give it a few days. Especially if not production. Grey pad before prepping. You don't want anything to suck in

Why grey pad when you just sanded it? Unless it's sat around a few days.  whatcha mean suck in. seems everybody is missing a step, you don't just sand then paint, you sand, then you seal it just before you paint (wet on wet sealer). sealer will help any suck in or bleed through or sand scratch swelling ect, ect. In the old days sealing was optional but nowadays pretty much Mandatory. LEON.

hemi-hampton

Quote from: AmadeusCharger500 on August 26, 2020, 10:47:46 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. I am wet sanding the primer 400 grit and then 600. It's taking a lot longer than I expected. I am using a guide coat for both grits. So my question is for both minimum time and maximum time between when I'm done how long do I have to apply the color coat. Gmp440 offered me the minimum of a day. I'm well beyond that as I started 3 days ago. Also, please understand, I work slow, I am only doing the trunk lid and the hood, and still it's taking me forever it seems. I'm looking at a base coat goal of Friday.

Once sanded there is no minimum or maximum time. What your talking about there is what they call a paint WINDOW time. Paint window is a minimum & maximum time because you have paint products that chemically dry or harded or sometimes air dry if no hardener used. A window is the time you got to paint while the surface is still wet & will take on another coat. Any surface that sits to long past it's window time will need to be scuffed to adhere. since you primer is sanded, material will adhere so no window there. Hope this makes sense? LEON.

AmadeusCharger500

I think I'm following you Leon, and thanks for the reply. If I understand you correct I should put a coat of sealer on once I'm done with the wet sanding process. My 2k primer instructions claim it can be used as a sealer if mixed in the rotation of 4 to 1 to 1. Paint, activator, and thinner.

Canadian1968

Why grey pad when you just sanded it? Unless it's sat around a few days.  whatcha mean suck in. seems everybody is missing a step, you don't just sand then paint, you sand, then you seal it just before you paint (wet on wet sealer). sealer will help any suck in or bleed through or sand scratch swelling ect, ect. In the old days sealing was optional but nowadays pretty much Mandatory. LEON.
[/quote]

Not saying that it is wrong . But if the surface had been primed properly and sand to the correct finish with out burn threw.  Why would you apply sealer again? 

hemi-hampton

Quote from: Canadian1968 on August 27, 2020, 04:55:18 PM

Not saying that it is wrong . But if the surface had been primed properly and sand to the correct finish with out burn threw.  Why would you apply sealer again? 
[/quote]

Whatcha mean sealer again. he never applied sealer the first time but applied Primer. How do you know he didn't burn threw. even if he didn't burn threw you want to apply a sealer for many reasons, one, for example lets say you primed your car with light gray sealer but you want to paint your car black. best to seal with a black sealer for better quicker coverage. best to seal with a color thats close to the color your spraying which your primer color usually is not. Lots of Paint Manufacturers will suggest & sometimes make you mix a correct shade of sealer before they let you mix the paint on a paint mixing machine. Dupont calls there 8 Different sealer colors Value Shade but I'm guessing you never heard of that :scratchchin: :shruggy:

Canadian1968

actually I said exactly that in my post (assuming there are no burn threw , and sanded correctly ). Yes I understand why you should use the.correct colur sealer or ground coat to aid in base coat coverage. I think I just take that for granted when I do this everyday . Our repairs are always primed with the correct shade primer , that's just something you automatically do.

And yes I am aware of dupont (axalta ) grey scale value shades . Sikkens has a colour build primer line that actually includes blue , yellow. red sealers but I have found that the proper grey scale works just as well if not better in some cases

The reason for my question was simply if the surface has been primed correctly and prepped correctly  ( yes correct colour) I prefer not to apply sealer for my reasons as well.

No need to get defensive , again wasn't saying your wrong was simply asking why.

hemi-hampton

Well, I'll just say, some people like to seal, some people don't. :scratchchin:

69HemiBee

There is a time to recoat on most primers. Once sanded a base coat or another coat of something must be applied. The MDS for the primer you are using will have that time on there. Typically, anywhere from hours to 2 or 3 days. If you go past this you must scuff the surface to open it back so proper adhesion can occur. On the sealer deal I have not sealed anything since I stopped using lacquer primer many decades ago. The new primers are plenty good to go over as is if done right. Hope this helps.
Supercar Restorations is a fully equipped facility specializing in Chrysler Corporation automobiles. We also carry an extensive line of parts. Contact me at hek@supercarrestorations.com if you have any questions. Thank you.

hemi-hampton

Quote from: 69HemiBee on September 02, 2020, 02:05:58 PM
There is a time to recoat on most primers. Once sanded a base coat or another coat of something must be applied. The MDS for the primer you are using will have that time on there. Typically, anywhere from hours to 2 or 3 days. If you go past this you must scuff the surface to open it back so proper adhesion can occur. On the sealer deal I have not sealed anything since I stopped using lacquer primer many decades ago. The new primers are plenty good to go over as is if done right. Hope this helps.

I've never heard of sanded Primer needing painting with in hours or 2-3 days & I've been Painting for over 35+ years. Do you got a TDS Technical Data Sheet that shows this? LEON.

AmadeusCharger500

Thank you everyone. Truly this is the most helpful discussion board. I figured that I actually did seal it. When I painted the last three coats of primer I mixed 4:1 to 20%. I wet sanded 400 and 600.  I know its not perfect but its so much better than I hoped for. In fact i have painted 2 cars previous to this and that was almost 20 years ago. This came out so much better than those previous jobs, as I have learned more about block sanding and wet sanding. Here it is

AmadeusCharger500

oh and yes this is a 73 charger, the same yellow thing in my profile photo

hemi-hampton

Looks good. is that B5 Blue. Does the rest of the car need painting? LEON.

AmadeusCharger500

Thanks. Its Coral Torquise. I think that is Q5 paint code. I have to check the can again. Yes the rest of the car needs painting. I only did the trunk/deck and hood. Since im not an expert I thought I should break up the job. and although I did plan for this, color sanding and buffing seems daunting at this point. I wish I could just leave it.

hemi-hampton

I like to paint my metallics all at once, keeps the color more consistent & even. Solid colors are better to paint in sections or parts. Just my opinion, I'm sure others will vary. LEON.