News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 charger brake pedal not fully returning to normal position

Started by skippychad, August 25, 2020, 07:31:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skippychad

Brake lights remain on after pedal is depressed and released .  Seems like the pedal isn't springing back to the normal position.   I usually have to lift the pedal just a little to engage the switch.    This has plagued me since I've owned the car.  I've replaced the switch and tried "bending" the mount A little.  The master cylinder has been changed too.   Just seeing if there's anything I'm missing.   Thanks.  

b5blue

Emergency brake? If so mine had a weak spring and acted as you describe. I'd use my foot to raise it the last few clicks. In the end it was cheaper to buy a good used one instead of repair. (Post in the "Parts wanted" section.)  :2thumbs:

skippychad

Parking brake is fine.  It's the normals brakes.  Thanks though. 

Kern Dog

I had this same problem in my '70 Charger. I just adjusted the switch to activate lower in the travel.
In a 72 Duster, the brake pedal and clutch both had stiff operation and didn't return easily. I looked under the dash to find significant surface rust on everything. I had to replace the pedals and linkage because they were pitted and crusty. The replacement set worked great!

Dano 1

Check and make sure your pushrod is correctly adjusted/the right length. I put a new booster/master cylinder in my car and when I drove it for the first time the pedal was not returning all the way. I pulled the master cylinder and the pushrod was too short. I haven't gotten the car back on the road yet but I suspect that was my issue.
1969 Charger 383 2bbl, R4 red, White hat special project

Check out my website for 3D printed restoration parts and accessories.
www.nextgendesignsnc.com