News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 Automatic Daytona 2875758 Distributor Questions

Started by Mopar John, August 28, 2020, 04:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar John

I have a question for 440 powered automatic Daytonas out there.
Does your distributor have the part number 2875758 stamped into the housing or is it blank?
Does your distributor have the tag with the 2875758 part number?
Or both?
I would like for you to provide pictures in your replies.
Thanks! MJ

69_500

I would love to answer your question, but alas I don't have a 440 Daytona.

go ahead and  :slap: me now lol

gtx6970

I cant remember ever seeing a dist ( Of any muscle cars year of application ) with the number stamped into the housing, always on a tag

maxwellwedge

I seem to remember the number stamped into the casting on one of my single points. Might have been on Disco.... Not sure if it was on a 69 or on a 70 440. Two of those cars are sold and gone - but I have one left to check. I'll have a look.

Mopar John

Thanks for the replies so far!
Jim I hope the one you have left will help me out.
I have a distributor that I want to get rebuilt but I want to make sure it's correct first?
MJ

Dragon Slayer

I am pretty sure by this time frame tags only, but understand your desire.  The only distinguishing difference for your rebuild will be the casting date inside the housing.  Does it meet your build date.  No one will ever see it unless you disassemble the distributor, but the casting date is inside of the housing.

taxspeaker

John,
For WIW my 4-speed 440 Daytona distributor has nothing marked on the outside-just a tag. Do you want a picture of that? I can get to the shop tonight maybe and get it, but it is a 4-speed not automatic.

Bob

hemi68charger

Quote from: taxspeaker on October 26, 2020, 07:22:28 AM
John,
For WIW my 4-speed 440 Daytona distributor has nothing marked on the outside-just a tag. Do you want a picture of that? I can get to the shop tonight maybe and get it, but it is a 4-speed not automatic.

Bob

The 4-speed would be different than the auto. The 4speed would be a dual-point Prestolite whereas the auto would be a single point Chrysler distributor.
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Mopar John

Quote from: Dragon Slayer on October 26, 2020, 07:15:57 AM
I am pretty sure by this time frame tags only, but understand your desire.  The only distinguishing difference for your rebuild will be the casting date inside the housing.  Does it meet your build date.  No one will ever see it unless you disassemble the distributor, but the casting date is inside of the housing.
Dragon Slayer,
Thanks for your information about the casting number!
My distributor is partially disassembled and I have taken a picture of the casting date.
It shows a 69 with 3 of the month boxes with pimples in them.
So that tells me the distributor housing was cast some time in March of 1969.
The assembly date would follow that and be right in line for an early June Built Daytona!
Thanks! MJ

Mopar John

Quote from: taxspeaker on October 26, 2020, 07:22:28 AM
John,

Bob
Bob,
I would like a picture of your tag even though it's a 4 speed to see what an original tag would look like?
Thanks! MJ

62 Max

Not Bob ( ;D  ) but original Prestolite tag.Also,I have seen original Chrysler cast aluminum housing distributors as late as 73 with number st amped in housing,

WINGMAN

My 440 auto Daytona has a distributor that is stamped 2875758   28  8   with large number 89 stamped in three places. No tag , inside there is the number 68 with four boxes with dimples then the next one with none then the sixth with one. It was with the car when i bought it. # matching engine and trans. (Wingman)  Jay.
69 Daytona XX29L9B409032 , 02 Ram Cummins,

70 sublime

Quote from: WINGMAN on October 26, 2020, 05:51:07 PM
  My 440 auto Daytona has a distributor that is stamped 2875758   28  8   with large number 89 stamped in three places. No tag , inside there is the number 68 with four boxes with dimples then the next one with none then the sixth with one. It was with the car when i bought it. # matching engine and trans. (Wingman)  Jay.

Is the 89 just the number 68 upside down ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

WINGMAN

69 Daytona XX29L9B409032 , 02 Ram Cummins,

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,                     02 November 2020

Hope we're not intruding on this thread; we have a Chrysler dual point distributor that appears old, has a tag stamped as Follows:

CHRYSLER 2875140

IBS-4014A 42 8

It also has an oil "cup" with a spring loaded flap top. Hope this description is understandable. Haven't seen one of these oil systems since the early to mid 50's.

Googled 2875140 and it came back 68-69 426, 440 dual point distributor.

Googled IBS-401A 42 8, which resulted in "Irritable Bowel Syndrome." Not exactly what we wanted to read about.

This distributor appears old and well used. None of our Hemi's or 440 had (Cuda is Gone) or have many miles on them. Not enough for their distributors to look as used as this one appears to be.

We're unsure of where this distributor came from. Someone may have given it to us (highly unlikely) or the possibility that it came from our 75 W200 4X4 440 ci Power Wagon, which is gone. Don't remember replacing the distributor in it.

We are not sure what it really is for or where it came from. One odd thing is the ground wire for the points is red and is cloth covered, something one might see in wiring from the 50's.

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

Dragon Slayer

68-69 426 Hemi built 42 week of 68, so good for a 69 Hemi car.

426HemiChick

Hi Dragon Slayer,                  02 November 2020

Thanks for the info. Plan to visit the person we sold the 440 W200 to. Want to look at the distributor to see if it could have come from it. One last possibility we didn't mention, it may have been in the trunk of the Daytona when we bought her 48 years ago. At that time she had a Mallory distributor installed.

Thanks Again.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

426HemiChick

Back Again Folks,                         06 November 2020

Found another distributor in my parts stash. Did a Google Search on the following:

Chrysler 2875987

IBS - 4017B  419

What little info I can find indicates 70 E Body Hemi / 440 - 6,  4 Spd   Mfg 41st week of 1969. This distributor may account for my not finding the second mechanical advance racing distributor I had. It probably went with the Cuda.

Any help you can supply will be much appreciated. Thank you in (mech) advance.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks

Dragon Slayer

1970 Hemi B or E, so your probably correct. :yesnod:  If you are interested in selling these or having restored please let me know.  I dabble in distributors.  You can PM me. 

taxspeaker

Sorry for delay John

2 Pictures attached
First is from my 440 4-speed Daytona distributor
Second is from my 426 Hemi automatic distributor

Mopar John

Bob,
Thanks for the pictures of your distributors!
It looks like the HEMI and 4 speed Daytonas both have dual point distributors.
So I am still looking for someone with a 440 automatic Daytona that has a single point distributor to send me pictures.
While I'm at it congrats on finding that HEMI Daytona broadcast sheet! WOW!
MJ