News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

EFI Fuel Tank:

Started by Captain D, September 04, 2020, 11:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain D

Hey all,

Bought one of those EFI fuel tanks for the 69' last year. Overall, I like having the electric fuel pump in tank, but, like most repop stuff out there, it's not the best fit where the factory filler tube meets the repro EFI tank. As a result, I get a few drips of fuel from the gasket site.

The shop that installed the unit nobly tried twice by changing out the rubber gaskets, but feels that there's simply nothing that can be done differently. The only thing that they could suggest was to: clean around the tube / tank juncture with lacquer thinner or brake fluid on a rag, ensure that the gas level is below this point, apply gasoline resistant sealant, & let it set up for, say, 24 hours.

If I did go this route for those who may have been in this scenario, would you recommend the product below or something else altogether?

https://www.permatex.com/products/gasketing/gasket-sealants/permatex-permashield-fuel-resistant-gasket-dressing-flange-sealant/?locale=en_us

Thanks for looking & sharing any feedback...

Gold Rush

I've never used that sealer but it sure sounds a lot like their HI-TACK that I have used for years.  Here's a brief description.

When a chemical gasket is not an option, what should you use? Permatex High Tack gasket sealant is a fast-drying all-purpose sealant that dries to a highly tacky, non-brittle film. It is suitable for both import and domestic vehicle applications (any model year or performance caliber. This easy-to-use brush-on sealer is a reliable general adhesive that resists gasoline, oil, antifreeze, axle lube, kerosene, propane and butane. It remains effective under temperatures of -65 degrees F to 500 degrees F. It's ideal for use on valve covers, fuel pumps, manifold gaskets and more!
24 years USAF, 25 years consumer electronics repair technician.  Now I ride a Honda Goldwing trike and wrench my latest project.  Children and Grandchildren are gown so I have to find other places to spend my time and money!

Captain D

Thanks man for chiming in :cheers:.

I'll take a closer look at the HI-TACK & see which of the two to run with. From what I've seen so far, they certainly seem to be similar (one brush on vs. RTV-like sealant by hand). I'm actually leaning towards the HI-TACK as it may seem to be more effective for my need in this incidence.

Thanks again for your time!

John_Kunkel

I've read several reports of some repop filler tube grommets being of poor quality (actually turning to goo). Might try a different source.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

c00nhunterjoe

I would reuse the original grommet as well

cdr

Quote from: Captain D on September 04, 2020, 11:02:17 PM
Hey all,

Bought one of those EFI fuel tanks for the 69' last year. Overall, I like having the electric fuel pump in tank, but, like most repop stuff out there, it's not the best fit where the factory filler tube meets the repro EFI tank. As a result, I get a few drips of fuel from the gasket site.

The shop that installed the unit nobly tried twice by changing out the rubber gaskets, but feels that there's simply nothing that can be done differently. The only thing that they could suggest was to: clean around the tube / tank juncture with lacquer thinner or brake fluid on a rag, ensure that the gas level is below this point, apply gasoline resistant sealant, & let it set up for, say, 24 hours.

If I did go this route for those who may have been in this scenario, would you recommend the product below or something else altogether?

https://www.permatex.com/products/gasketing/gasket-sealants/permatex-permashield-fuel-resistant-gasket-dressing-flange-sealant/?locale=en_us

Thanks for looking & sharing any feedback...

What brand Tank & is it the factory filler tube & is it pitted ? I have a Tanks Inc, & a new filer tube work great
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Captain D

Thanks gents for the replies - the original grommet is long gone. But, yeah, bought from Tanks, Inc. & the filler tube is original. We were a lil' surprised to see a few drips because it was crazy super snug to the point that the shop definitely needed to use grease to get it through / physically intense.

So, yeah, that's the latest & I can try the HI-TACK here in a few days. Thanks again for the chats...

cdr

Quote from: Captain D on September 05, 2020, 09:02:17 PM
Thanks gents for the replies - the original grommet is long gone. But, yeah, bought from Tanks, Inc. & the filler tube is original. We were a lil' surprised to see a few drips because it was crazy super snug to the point that the shop definitely needed to use grease to get it through / physically intense.

So, yeah, that's the latest & I can try the HI-TACK here in a few days. Thanks again for the chats...

I would bet the filler tube is the problem, bent, not round, pitted VANS auto has VERY nice new ones
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

Captain D

...could be. I don't recall any pitting / looked good & the shop didn't see a concern with it (they're usually pretty particular). But, surprisingly, they weren't overly wowed by the Tanks, Inc. products.

In the meantime, which of two Permatex options would you feel may be the best to try first, just out of curiosity...? Probably either / or, but perhaps the HI-TACK with a brush to allow it to really seep into crevices.

cdr

Quote from: Captain D on September 05, 2020, 09:37:47 PM
...could be. I don't recall any pitting / looked good & the shop didn't see a concern with it (they're usually pretty particular). But, surprisingly, they weren't overly wowed by the Tanks, Inc. products.

In the meantime, which of two Permatex options would you feel may be the best to try first, just out of curiosity...? Probably either / or, but perhaps the HI-TACK with a brush to allow it to really seep into crevices.

My tank was awesome, well made, if your trunk floor was replace & not done correct, that could create the tank alignment issue

Captain D

Hmm, good point ~ my trunk pan was replaced back in the day. That could very well be a factor (or the prime factor)  :scratchchin:

I too love my Tanks, Inc. set-up & am still glad to have upgraded nonetheless. Funny thing was that I never saw a drip for the past year since we put the tank in over a year ago as I'm always on top of this stuff. Now, it's not much - just a lil' moist if I fill it all the way up before a longer road treck...

cdr

Quote from: Captain D on September 05, 2020, 09:53:21 PM
Hmm, good point ~ my trunk pan was replaced back in the day. That could very well be a factor (or the prime factor)  :scratchchin:

I too love my Tanks, Inc. set-up & am still glad to have upgraded nonetheless. Funny thing was that I never saw a drip for the past year since we put the tank in over a year ago as I'm always on top of this stuff. Now, it's not much - just a lil' moist if I fill it all the way up before a longer road treck...

are you sure its not coming from the vent line on the filler tube that goes right next to where the fill tube goes into the tank ?

Captain D

Yeah, just a lil' moist at the tube / tank juncture for sure. Thanks again for the chats + info = good stuff...