News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

TB EFI and Carburetor Questions

Started by XH29N0G, September 06, 2020, 03:54:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cdr

Quote from: John_Kunkel on September 25, 2020, 01:53:49 PM
Yeah, error in snipping. Sorry cdr and it wasn't a slam, calibrate your humor detector.

LOL, sorry,,, I am so used to confrontation lately from the human race  :coolgleamA:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

timmycharger

Quote from: John_Kunkel on September 24, 2020, 12:56:57 PM
Quote from: cdr on September 23, 2020, 08:50:12 PM
Mapping out a table from scratch is a big task and takes hours and hours to tune properly. Usually you sit on a dyno all day and just keep making changes.

Or you blip the throttle, go back, sniff the tailpipe and call it good like most carburetor "tuners".  :lol:

:smilielol:  ha! I usually go by how badly my clothes stink of exhaust/fuel before I make any adjustments  :cheers:

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: timmycharger on September 25, 2020, 02:11:34 PM
Quote from: John_Kunkel on September 24, 2020, 12:56:57 PM
Quote from: cdr on September 23, 2020, 08:50:12 PM
Mapping out a table from scratch is a big task and takes hours and hours to tune properly. Usually you sit on a dyno all day and just keep making changes.

Or you blip the throttle, go back, sniff the tailpipe and call it good like most carburetor "tuners".  :lol:

:smilielol:  ha! I usually go by how badly my clothes stink of exhaust/fuel before I make any adjustments  :cheers:

I kinda like the smell of c12...

BSB67

I have never used or installed EFI on any hobby or muscle car.  But it is hard for me to believe that an EFI would not be better in every way when done right over a carb.

That said, I am truly dumbfounded by the problems that people have with carbs.  Maybe its today's manufacturing quality. Maybe its today's hobbyist.   :shruggy: 

I parked my 1968 GTS in the back of my garage in December 2015. Drove it in, turned it off.  Done.  No storage prep, no fuel stabilizer. It sat until June of this year.  So it sat for 4.5 years.  I primed the carb by adding fuel down the fuel bowl vents. Worked the throttle until the squirters delivered fuel.  It started instantly.  It has an old school Holley 4779 (750 dp)

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: BSB67 on September 26, 2020, 07:43:15 AM
I have never used or installed EFI on any hobby or muscle car.  But it is hard for me to believe that an EFI would not be better in every way when done right over a carb.

That said, I am truly dumbfounded by the problems that people have with carbs.  Maybe its today's manufacturing quality. Maybe its today's hobbyist.   :shruggy: 

I parked my 1968 GTS in the back of my garage in December 2015. Drove it in, turned it off.  Done.  No storage prep, no fuel stabilizer. It sat until June of this year.  So it sat for 4.5 years.  I primed the carb by adding fuel down the fuel bowl vents. Worked the throttle until the squirters delivered fuel.  It started instantly.  It has an old school Holley 4779 (750 dp)

Agreed.  "When done right" not 1980s tbi tech. Carbs are not rocket science. People overthink them. That 4779c on my 383 was a workhorse for years.

Kern Dog

Quote from: BSB67 on September 26, 2020, 07:43:15 AM

I parked my 1968 GTS in the back of my garage in December 2015. Drove it in, turned it off.  Done.  No storage prep, no fuel stabilizer. It sat until June of this year.  So it sat for 4.5 years.  I primed the carb by adding fuel down the fuel bowl vents. Worked the throttle until the squirters delivered fuel.  It started instantly.  It has an old school Holley 4779 (750 dp

It isn't always the car, many times it is the gas.
Last week I was at a buddy's place. He swapped in a replacement engine in  his Valiant. The car has sat for about a year and the gas in the tank was about 18 months old. He drained the tank and refilled with fresh gas.
The engine would not run without ether spray. He shut it off. I ran the throttle to smell the gas from the accelerator pump. It stunk so I drained the gas from the front and rear bowls. (Holley)
With fresh gas, it lit up immediately and ran great even with no choke.

Paul G

Carburetors allow the fuel in the bowls to be exposed to atmosphere. The fuel will evaporate quickly, and sour. FI is a high pressure fuel delivery system. The fuel is contained in the system. No exposure to atmosphere. Maybe that is why FI retrofit systems start up much easier than old carb systems.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: Paul G on September 28, 2020, 08:13:37 AM
Carburetors allow the fuel in the bowls to be exposed to atmosphere. The fuel will evaporate quickly, and sour. FI is a high pressure fuel delivery system. The fuel is contained in the system. No exposure to atmosphere. Maybe that is why FI retrofit systems start up much easier than old carb systems.

With most tbi systems, the fuel tank is left original,  exposed and vented to atmosphere. The only difference in exposure is the bowl vents which if using an electric pump, that problem is moot. If you are storing you car for long periods of time,regardless of the fuel system used, keep the tank filled to the top, or drain it.