News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Garage Squad on Motor Trend TV

Started by Kern Dog, September 09, 2020, 03:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kern Dog

I like the concept of the show. The crew of metal magicians roll in and help resurrect a stillborn project. In the end, the car/truck is running and mobile again.
There isn't the usual arguing and drama between the "actors".
There isn't the usual weirdo dude with stupid looking hair or a dorky looking beard, $20,000 worth of tattoos and piercings.
The woman is cute and perky. She actually seems to do work as well.
However....
Most of the people that own the cars appear like worthless wimps that couldn't check the oil without guidance.
I know we aren't all master mechanics but these cars are often stripped out and the owners look like they'd have trouble using a can opener. How did they let it get this far?
Is this a matter of the TV show making the owners look feeble?
I can understand if the owner was disabled or something but that hasn't been the case so far.
I have seen the owner in the background looking like a deer in the headlights in several episode.
I do like that they work on a variety of cars. Last week they had a rerun of the FK5 Orange Duster. That owner was an embarrassment to car guys for sure.

timmycharger

I don't mind the show actually, I think they are on their third female since airing a few years back, I liked Heather (her laugh made my wife crazy haha).  I like Joe Zolper, ( I think that is his name) He is a huge Mopar guy, has a Daytona drag car I believe. Ther other guy Bruno is a bit of a lug head with frosted hair but he knows his stuff.

I like how they get down and dirty and wrench in the person's garage, that is pretty cool. I get what you are saying about the owners, maybe they have to be that way to add some drama to the show, to make it worse of a situation than it really is.

They had a few Mopars, a 69 Charger a few years back that was pretty nice when they were done. Like all the car shows, you have to take it as entertainment and not get but hurt when they don't do things like they should.

At least there are no D bags with the flat brim caps and stupid beards!

cdr

Quote from: timmycharger on September 09, 2020, 03:22:21 PM
I don't mind the show actually, I think they are on their third female since airing a few years back, I liked Heather (her laugh made my wife crazy haha).  I like Joe Zolper, ( I think that is his name) He is a huge Mopar guy, has a Daytona drag car I believe. Ther other guy Bruno is a bit of a lug head with frosted hair but he knows his stuff.

I like how they get down and dirty and wrench in the person's garage, that is pretty cool. I get what you are saying about the owners, maybe they have to be that way to add some drama to the show, to make it worse of a situation than it really is.

They had a few Mopars, a 69 Charger a few years back that was pretty nice when they were done. Like all the car shows, you have to take it as entertainment and not get but hurt when they don't do things like they should.

Bruno is a professional NHRA Drag racer
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Kern Dog

Sounds like you described the owner of "Texas Metal" and Dave Kindig.
Yeah...That flat brim hat thing just annoys the heck out of me. The Street Outlaws guys have a few dudes that look like that.
The Kindig beard is really bad too. He seems like such a cool guy but that beard.....
It reminds me of how you'd look at a beautiful woman that has a hairy mole on her face or bad teeth. It can be hard to overlook that one flaw.
If a person was average looking or ugly all over, you'd never notice!

will

My friend was on the first season of kitchen nightmares or whatever the first show was. He said they make you sign a gag order and they use whatever footage they gather to make a show out of it. I agree with you about making the owners look foolish, but how many people have taken on more than they can chew. I know when it's time to punt for certain things, plus I hate plumbing.

timmycharger

Quote from: Kern Dog on September 09, 2020, 06:54:41 PM

Sounds like you described the owner of "Texas Metal" and Dave Kindig.
Yeah...That flat brim hat thing just annoys the heck out of me. The Street Outlaws guys have a few dudes that look like that.
The Kindig beard is really bad too. He seems like such a cool guy but that beard.....
It reminds me of how you'd look at a beautiful woman that has a hairy mole on her face or bad teeth. It can be hard to overlook that one flaw.
If a person was average looking or ugly all over, you'd never notice!

Exactly! Kevin on Kindigs show tucks his ears into his..Kindigs shop does nice work, especially his upholsterer but I am not a fan of the door handles he puts on everything. 

MoparMike68

Heather was great now they have Chisty Lee,  :2thumbs: but I must say bring a freaking scissor lift.
They bring all the tools in the world and yet they squeeze underneath those cars to work.  :brickwall:

It's funny how all those things about these shows flat brim hat, exaggerated beards,  extra long spiked greasy hair
is noticed by others and I'm  not the only one hat shaming  :lol:
and don't forget Will on GYC's he's in desperate need of grooming he's  looking like Sasquatch not a good look for TV.
What the hell happened to the days of looking presentable on TV? How about lose the dirty sneakers get a shower workout a little.  :shruggy:

KD that guy from magnum force irritated the shit out of me as well like he traveled into the future from 1985 with his
thumbs in his pockets of his tight pants  :lol:

timmycharger

Quote from: cdr on September 09, 2020, 06:42:40 PM

I saw that, not sure how good he is, might have to check it out.

cdr

Quote from: timmycharger on September 09, 2020, 08:57:38 PM

Bruno Massel hosts Garage squad and also hosts Truck U now in its 14th season on the Discovery channel.Bruno is married to Dayna Purgatorio with two boys.

He has been involved in co-hosting, hosting, modeling, photography, commendation, and drag racing.

Bruno graduated with honors from the University of Iowa with a BBA ans decided to put a career in law on hold after a Chicago-area modeling agent had found him. When he met with renown photographer Bruce Webber Bruno was selected for a Ralph Lauren Underwear campaign that followed.

He has spent much of his time running his Drag racing business. Mostly in the NHRA Competition Eliminator & Stock Eliminator classes.In his first full season on the IHRA national tour, he drove his six-second, 200-mph Top Dragster within two rounds of winning the national championship.

Massel, a second-generation drag racer, scored NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series Competition national championships in 2009 and 2012 and five West Central Division Competition championships (2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, and 2013). He also won JEGS All-Stars in 2009, 2010 and 2012. Bruno Massel Jr. Father Bruno Massel Sr. who's racing career began in 1965 when he built his record setting A/Altered roadster. The "Gladiator" as it was called, became a legend in the Midwest racing scene. His career had been exceptional. He had set national records and won victories at all levels of competition.

In 2001,he tried his hand behind the camera as a television commentator for the IHRA racing series on TNN and SPEED. His knowledge of the motor-sports industry has lead to a full-time career as an on camera host covering various forms of racing and special events in the auto industry. - Martin Snytsheuvel

- IMDb Mini Biography By: Martin Snytsheuvel
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

chargered

Its a good show.  I like the entire crew, they all seem down to earth and very likeable.   The mechanic who's very knowledgeable (can't remember his name) is pretty funny too........he has a great sense of humor. 

Ya, the other shows with dudes wearing straight brimmed hats drives me nuts.  Where the hell did that stupid trend come from?

TheAutoArchaeologist

I'm actually friends with everyone on the crew except a handful of people.  I talk to Joe and Ronnie weekly and I've been lucky to work on a few builds with them.

What you see is 90% legit.  Sometimes things don't go perfectly, so it's cleaned up or fixed off camera.  But they seriously only have 7-9 days to work on a vehicle before they have to move on, because they rent most of their equipment and the time table does not allow for issues.

I was working on the 68 Chevelle episode last year and on first start up it sounded like the engine was knocking.... The owner said it had been rebuilt before, we didn't check.  So after the cameras turn off and start freaking out, because rebuilding the engine now would push us back a day or two... and that was not in the schedule.  People are calling rental places, the next project people, etc... We ripped the engine out in 30 minutes, took off the oil pan and discovered that nobody torqued the rod bolts all the way down.  So we went over every bolt, threw it back in just a little over 2 hours later and made the schedule.  But you never saw any of that on camera.

Here's a few behind the scene pics.

If you have any questions, I can ask them.

Ryan

Mopar Nut

Quote from: Devil on September 09, 2020, 11:54:29 PM

Ryan

Ask when is next season and what happened to Heather?
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Kern Dog

The flat brim hat pulled down over the eyebrows, ears tucked in, 4X large T shirts on a 175 lb dude, Denim shorts to the knee, tube socks to just below the knee, sandals.....AND the chain wallet.   :hah:
The Garage Squad people look like normal, regular people. I like that.
GraveYard Cars....I agree that Will  needs a couple hours at a Barber shop. He really looks homeless with the "Cousin Itt" style that he has now.

timmycharger

Quote from: cdr on September 09, 2020, 09:19:28 PM
Quote from: timmycharger on September 09, 2020, 08:57:38 PM

Bruno Massel hosts Garage squad and also hosts Truck U now in its 14th season on the Discovery channel.Bruno is married to Dayna Purgatorio with two boys.

He has been involved in co-hosting, hosting, modeling, photography, commendation, and drag racing.

Bruno graduated with honors from the University of Iowa with a BBA ans decided to put a career in law on hold after a Chicago-area modeling agent had found him. When he met with renown photographer Bruce Webber Bruno was selected for a Ralph Lauren Underwear campaign that followed.

He has spent much of his time running his Drag racing business. Mostly in the NHRA Competition Eliminator & Stock Eliminator classes.In his first full season on the IHRA national tour, he drove his six-second, 200-mph Top Dragster within two rounds of winning the national championship.

Massel, a second-generation drag racer, scored NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series Competition national championships in 2009 and 2012 and five West Central Division Competition championships (2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, and 2013). He also won JEGS All-Stars in 2009, 2010 and 2012. Bruno Massel Jr. Father Bruno Massel Sr. who's racing career began in 1965 when he built his record setting A/Altered roadster. The "Gladiator" as it was called, became a legend in the Midwest racing scene. His career had been exceptional. He had set national records and won victories at all levels of competition.

In 2001,he tried his hand behind the camera as a television commentator for the IHRA racing series on TNN and SPEED. His knowledge of the motor-sports industry has lead to a full-time career as an on camera host covering various forms of racing and special events in the auto industry. - Martin Snytsheuvel

- IMDb Mini Biography By: Martin Snytsheuvel

:2thumbs: 

timmycharger

Quote from: Kern Dog on September 10, 2020, 01:37:27 AM
The flat brim hat pulled down over the eyebrows, ears tucked in, 4X large T shirts on a 175 lb dude, Denim shorts to the knee, tube socks to just below the knee, sandals.....AND the chain wallet.   :hah:
GraveYard Cars....I agree that Will  needs a couple hours at a Barber shop. He really looks homeless with the "Cousin Itt" style that he has now.

I dunno, I think this is going to be my new look  :rofl:

MoparMike68

Iron Resurrection is a cool show I think it checks the made for TV boxes with all the different personalities.
Joe the owner more on the serious side artistic like Foose turns out some nice rides.
Shortie takes a lot of pride in his work and a character as well. There's also Pompa the gofer that gets his chops busted, comic relief.
Although Shag has that unique look we're making fun of I think it works for him seems like a funny dude the perfect guy to send on the road and cut some deals he'd be cool to hang out with and have a beer  :cheers:
Even Amanda the co owner is involved,  but they could use another female a young hot unmarried model because that what I care about.  :lol:

cdr

Quote from: MoparMike68 on September 10, 2020, 10:51:37 AM
Iron Resurrection is a cool show I think it checks the made for TV boxes with all the different personalities.
Joe the owner more on the serious side artistic like Foose turns out some nice rides.
Shortie takes a lot of pride in his work and a character as well. There's also Pompa the gofer that gets his chops busted, comic relief.
Although Shag has that unique look we're making fun of I think it works for him seems like a funny dude the perfect guy to send on the road and cut some deals he'd be cool to hang out with and have a beer  :cheers:
Even Amanda the co owner is involved,  but they could use another female a young hot unmarried model because that what I care about.  :lol:

A friend of mine lives in Dripping Springs where the Shop is, Martin Bro, [ Iron Resurrection ]  he is friends with Joe, he was telling them about my 68 Charger & Joe sent me a message.    https://youtu.be/SfOFfOcMuK4

timmycharger

Quote from: cdr on September 10, 2020, 03:37:34 PM

A friend of mine lives in Dripping Springs where the Shop is, Martin Bro, [ Iron Resurrection ]  he is friends with Joe, he was telling them about my 68 Charger & Joe sent me a message.    https://youtu.be/SfOFfOcMuK4

How cool is that!

That is my favorite show out of all the ones from Motor Trend, with Roadkill a close second. Joe Martin is a master at metal fab. I miss Shorty being on the show, he opened up his own shop with one of the other guys I believe.   

Amanda Martin  :drool5:

cdr

Quote from: timmycharger on September 10, 2020, 03:58:10 PM
Even Amanda the co owner is involved,  but they could use another female a young hot unmarried model because that what I care about.  :lol:

A friend of mine lives in Dripping Springs where the Shop is, Martin Bro, [ Iron Resurrection ]  he is friends with Joe, he was telling them about my 68 Charger & Joe sent me a message.    https://youtu.be/SfOFfOcMuK4

How cool is that!

That is my favorite show out of all the ones from Motor Trend, with Roadkill a close second. Joe Martin is a master at metal fab. I miss Shorty being on the show, he opened up his own shop with one of the other guys I believe.  

Amanda Martin  :drool5:

YEP !!!! Amanda :), my friends name is Tommy that is friends with them , he is my oldest time wise friend from 1972, he has owned this 68 Road Runner since 1978, is is now 440 Six BBL, 18 spline 4 speed. this is from when I drove my Charger to Austin from Houston to visit Tommy. it was ONLY 106 deg on this day, good thing the Charger has COLD AC LOL

MoparMike68

Even Amanda the co owner is involved,  but they could use another female a young hot unmarried model because that what I care about.  

As he should your charger is bad ass cdr   :coolgleamA:

TheAutoArchaeologist

Quote from: Mopar Nut on September 10, 2020, 01:08:01 AM

Ryan

They are filming now.  And that's a long story.

Kern Dog

Long story? Are you paying by the word here?
Spill the details if you know them.

timmycharger

Quote from: cdr on September 10, 2020, 05:00:12 PM
Quote from: timmycharger on September 10, 2020, 03:58:10 PM
Even Amanda the co owner is involved,  but they could use another female a young hot unmarried model because that what I care about.  :lol:

A friend of mine lives in Dripping Springs where the Shop is, Martin Bro, [ Iron Resurrection ]  he is friends with Joe, he was telling them about my 68 Charger & Joe sent me a message.    https://youtu.be/SfOFfOcMuK4

How cool is that!

Amanda Martin  :drool5:

YEP !!!! Amanda :), my friends name is Tommy that is friends with them , he is my oldest time wise friend from 1972, he has owned this 68 Road Runner since 1978, is is now 440 Six BBL, 18 spline 4 speed. this is from when I drove my Charger to Austin from Houston to visit Tommy. it was ONLY 106 deg on this day, good thing the Charger has COLD AC LOL

:cheers: :cheers: Awesome!

ACUDANUT

Quote from: timmycharger on September 10, 2020, 08:10:05 AM
Quote from: Kern Dog on September 10, 2020, 01:37:27 AM
The flat brim hat pulled down over the eyebrows, ears tucked in, 4X large T shirts on a 175 lb dude, Denim shorts to the knee, tube socks to just below the knee, sandals.....AND the chain wallet.   :hah:
GraveYard Cars....I agree that Will  needs a couple hours at a Barber shop. He really looks homeless with the "Cousin Itt" style that he has now.

I dunno, I think this is going to be my new look  :rofl:

Wanna be gangsta with a Identity crisis. I wonder if he knows that he looks and acts like a idiot.  Bet he does little work at his shop.

MoparMike68

Quote from: Devil on September 11, 2020, 12:41:02 AM
Quote from: Mopar Nut on September 10, 2020, 01:08:01 AM

Ryan

They are filming now.  And that's a long story.
I predict scandal maybe she left due to " Me Too"  from either the cast or crew. could've got a big fat
settlement from the show, she's been driving around the country in her classic mustang and I haven't seen her in anything lately.
Not fact just my opinion, Usually when it's a long story it's not a good one.

Mopar Nut

Remember Lauren Bohlander she was hot, but she didn't do much.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Kern Dog

At FABO, some dude wrote that Heather was cut loose after topless photos were discovered.
Uhhh.... :slap:

TheAutoArchaeologist

Ok, no it wasn't because of topless pictures.  Long story short...

She's a bit difficult to work with.  She would request only hotels in Downtown Chicago.  Nice restaurants, etc... Then when it came to shoot time, she would pop into a scene where Joe or Ronnie would have to show her what to do and what to say.  She would film it, and then pop back into the RV.  This got worse and worse until they had enough and I think she knew it.  So they replaced her with Cristy, who has been awesome to work and hang with.

Kern Dog

They did a good job of hiding their frustration onscreen.

Mopar Nut

MoparMike68

Quote from: Mopar Nut on September 11, 2020, 08:30:02 PM
Remember Lauren Bohlander she was hot, but she didn't do much.
That's been the rule throughout time up until the millennial female  :brickwall:
We need to start a movement one of the utmost importance to bring back the hot model that just is the hot model
How can we make a charger ad better...hot model  :lol: in fact there was an ad here with girl attached   :yesnod:
I wonder if that car sold  :scratchchin:

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Devil on September 11, 2020, 10:04:54 PM
Ok, no it wasn't because of topless pictures.  Long story short...

She's a bit difficult to work with.  She would request only hotels in Downtown Chicago.  Nice restaurants, etc... Then when it came to shoot time, she would pop into a scene where Joe or Ronnie would have to show her what to do and what to say.  She would film it, and then pop back into the RV.  This got worse and worse until they had enough and I think she knew it.  So they replaced her with Cristy, who has been awesome to work and hang with.

It's certainly disappointing to learn that about Heather.    From what I gather online she's older than she appears (56?).   She seemed genuine on air and on her IG page.  Go figure.   

Cristy is a Detroit girl tho  :2thumbs:   She does have quite a lot of shows in her rear view mirror.   I don't suspect she'll be there long.  :shruggy:

I don't feel bad for Lauren... she married Tony Kanaan and is a mom to 3.  She did good. 

I enjoy the show more now in the hour format as opposed to the early years 1/2 hour... that was too rushed. 
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

TheAutoArchaeologist

I'm going to be working on the season finale of Garage Squad.  It is a perfect fit for a different forum on here... :D

So if you have any questions or anything else you would like to know,  let me know.

Mopar Nut

The new season starts next week Oct. 6th.

TheAutoArchaeologist

The new season starts today.  You can go on MotorTrend on Demand and check it out. 

And well things went a different direction.... the car we will be working on... is a garage kept for just about 30 years 69 Daytona!

You can see the video here with the car. 

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2794269460898127