News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

2 Wing Car Road Trips

Started by taxspeaker, September 13, 2020, 04:30:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taxspeaker

Trip 1
Took the 43 year barn find restored Bird out for a 100 mile "Back roads of Indiana" road trip today. Couple of pictures below. These are NOT trailer queens-lots of great interaction with folks and was able to use up the 10 month old gas and test out everything. Letting it cool now before clean up tonight.

Trip 2
Well on January 25th, the intrepid Alaska Highway Superbird is heading as far south as I can physically drive it. Everything is checked out and the dates are on the calendar, but making a couple of upgrades. First, I put a set of plug and play LED headlights in 1 of the other Birds a year and 1/2 ago. They have no issues, pull less amps than the originals and are 10 times better lighting, so those are going in tomorrow. Second, after last summer's Key West trip I decided to rebuild the Carter AVS again-something is just not right there. The driveline in this Bird only has 2500 miles  (Key West trip) on it after a complete overhaul, so an oil change, a set of plugs, check everything out and pack for nightmares along the way. I have learned a lot with over 10,000 miles of driving this one and plan on utilizing everything learned, plus having a Sat phone (like Alaska). I did put in a new rear end with the original 3:55 gears and just changed the speedo gear in the tranny to match. I know it will turn more RPMs than the 323 from before, but I don't expect speeds to be as fast and I think a quicker take off might prove necessary. More to come as that trip gets closer. Wife hasn't left me yet, but is not pleased! Probably buying some life insurance right now. Have upgraded the Go Pros and mounts, solar power and Power Pack and am also taking a small drone this time which even a fool (that would be me) can fly my son says.

69_500

How far south are you planning on going? All the way to South America? Just to central America? Mexico?

BS27ROB

I don't think you can physically drive from North America to South America unless that has changed recently.

BS27ROB

Bob, are you going alone or do you have someone going with you?

taxspeaker

Sorry-I did not realize how that would be taken. Here is what I meant on the map.

The furthest south you can drive is Southern Panama-at the present time the Darien Gap is not passable via road-you need to get a ferry to take you from south Panama to the 1st city in Columbia, then you can drive/ferry all the way to the tip  of S America at Ushuia.  Driving the road through the Atacama Desert in Chile is a long term dream, but El Salvador , Nicaragua , San Salvador and maybe even Guatemala is a no-go right now.

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1971 Charger R/T: B5 Blue 440 Automatic
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1970 GTO: 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: 340 Automatic

billssuperbird

gtx6970

You going to San Diego this trip ?

taxspeaker

Yep-been asked to bring the white Bird to a car show on Jan 30 at some nut farm in the area and it punches a box on my driving desires-getting me the furthest southwest I can go and leaving Quoddy Point Maine for next summer to get the furthest northeast.

gtx6970

Well, 'I am not located in Tucson Az if you get in the area and need anything

bannedbird

Saturdays 9am - 11am have the "Orange County Cars and Coffee" between LA and San Diego.  Zip code 92672 = San Clemente. A mile off the I-5: easy on and easy off.
- Superbird Steve - Chicago
1970 A13 E86 D32 B5 H2XW w/GIII, ITB, 6L85