News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Car keeps shutting off

Started by JMF, September 19, 2020, 02:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMF

Sorry it's not on a Charger but on my 70 Satellite

I have a problem where the car keeps shutting off , it will only happen once or twice on a run out and it usually happens when idling , eg at the traffic lights or traffic jam

Initially I thought it only does it when slightly cold but today it did it at full operating temperature

It doesn't splutter and shut off like a fuel problem , it shuts off just like if you were to turn the ignition off

The car usually will start up right away again ok

Any ideas ? Many thanks

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

70 sublime

Next time try to wiggle the key as it is about to die
Might be worn in the ignition lock itself
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

XH29N0G

I had something like this and it was related to a connection in the switch.  I swapped in another switch and it helped.  Then I realized it was one of the connectors that was shaking and losing connection.  It was not the one at the firewall, but the one under the dash.  It would run and then shut off and then many times if I was driving on the highway in gear (transmission is manual) restart and continue to run.  This might not be it, but it might be worth checking.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

chargered

I had some issues similar to that a few years ago and found out it was a bad ground.  I think my orange box wasn't grounded very well.  Once I fixed the ground and added an extra one to be safe, I didn't have any more issues.

b5blue

Check the long white connector that comes from the ignition switch to the dash harness. Is the big red wire getting toasty?  :scratchchin: