News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Why scrape off undercoating if it's working??

Started by AKcharger, September 20, 2020, 05:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

My "new" 1970 has undercoating and it's did it's job well. My question is: if the undercoat is intact, doing it's job and there's no reason to remove it...why remove it??  Now of course if there actual or suspected corrosion sure, but seems like an enormous amount of work for nothing

:popcrn:

hemi-hampton

stripedelete

I didn't remove mine.  But, I did touch up a couple spots.  California car. Factory undercoat.

hemi-hampton

AKcharger

well that's the way I felt. But every "professional restoration" I've seen includes guys out there with a propane torch and a scrapper  :shruggy:

As for J55, not sure that code off hand but here..

matrout76

When I scrapped the undercoating off of the bottom of my 1969, there were places were the undercoating was sound, but there was rust hiding above it.  I'll try to get some pics and post them here.  Thats the reason i went ahead and took all of it off.

AKcharger

hemi-hampton

Hard to read but I see what looks like the J55 option. That's extra cost full Undercoating. Mandatory comes with under hood insulation Pad with that option. I circled it in Black below. LEON.

P.S. I see you got a 3:23 suregrip.

AKcharger

Quote from: hemi-hampton on September 21, 2020, 07:24:21 PM
Hard to read but I see what looks like the J55 option. That's extra cost full Undercoating. Mandatory comes with under hood insulation Pad with that option. I circled it in Black below. LEON.

P.S. I see you got a 3:23 suregrip.

Ah! very good. I decoded it but forgot. It does have the hood insulation clips still in position. yup 3.23,