News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Aaaggggh! Something is bent!

Started by Bronzedodge, September 24, 2020, 01:23:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bronzedodge

Ugh.  I clipped a curb a few weeks ago.    It was a pretty good hit, dinged the outer edge of the left front rim, dinged the left sway bar bracket, and tweaked the lower control arm.   Got it mostly squared away, but the center link isn't level anymore.   So that's either the pitman arm or the steering box mount?    I have the box out and the K frame looks fine, nothing broken.    Anyone know what is a likely cause?   Can't figure it out. 
Mopar forever!

cdr

Quote from: Bronzedodge on September 24, 2020, 01:23:14 PM
Ugh.  I clipped a curb a few weeks ago.    It was a pretty good hit, dinged the outer edge of the left front rim, dinged the left sway bar bracket, and tweaked the lower control arm.   Got it mostly squared away, but the center link isn't level anymore.   So that's either the pitman arm or the steering box mount?    I have the box out and the K frame looks fine, nothing broken.    Anyone know what is a likely cause?   Can't figure it out.  

The bracket that the Idler arm bolts to gets bent pretty easy, I would look there idler should be in the same plane as the pittman arm
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Bronzedodge

I'll look at it, but it would have been transfered to the idler across the centerlink.  The hit was on the driver side.  The Pitman has no marks on it.
Mopar forever!

Mike DC

Can you describe the hit?  

Outer edge of LF rim bent + sway bar bracket bent = you hit it straight-on going forward, more or less?  Probably with the wheels turned some amount to the right?  How fast were you going?

Bronzedodge

About 35-40.  Wheels were straight, maybe slightly to R a few degrees.  It bent the outer edger - not the bead seat - of the left rim, and dinged the sway bar bracket on the K frame.  NO damage to the K frame, but now I'm suspecting the box mounts are tweaked.  I put another box up and the slope to the center link is the same.  It could be the Pitman arm I suppose, cause I'm checking it with same one.

Can anyone with a solid front end measure the distance from the center link to the oil pan rails for me?  Straight up.  I remember it being the same, mostly parallel to the pan rails above.  Thanks in advance.
Mopar forever!

Mike DC

Kern Dog

Uh, that is going to vary a bit. Different motor mount materials, wear and aging, damage due to abuse, 4 speed shock, etc.
If you want to try a different Pitman arm, I have several used ones that are not damaged. I can send you one for the cost of shipping.

Bronzedodge

Thanks KD, but there's ones closer here in Maryland.  I just need to compare to mine, maybe do a mock-up.  I'm leaning to the K frame mounts, as they have the rep for being a bit weak.  But just looking at it with the box out, I can't see any distortion.  It's bugging me not being able to drive it.
Mopar forever!

b5blue

Bronzedodge

They're both fine, pulled them with the lower arm.   I'm thinking the box mounts on the K frame are off.  I measured on my friends 68 Coronet the other day.  I'll post conclusions soon.
Mopar forever!