News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone use ramps?

Started by Dano 1, September 25, 2020, 09:45:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dano 1

Does anyone use drive-on ramps for quick under-car service? I just got my car on the road and am finding myself underneath the front of it on an almost daily basis checking for leaks, making adjust etc. and dragging out the floor jack and jack stands gets pretty old. I've never really used ramps in the past because I frankly never trusted them but now I'm starting to see the appeal.
Does anyone use them and have a brand recommendation? Pricing is all over the map but at the end of the day how much is your life worth? I'd probably always have the floor jack under the k-frame for redundancy but still...
1969 Charger 383 2bbl, R4 red, White hat special project

Check out my website for 3D printed restoration parts and accessories.
www.nextgendesignsnc.com

Mike DC

I've got a set of the classic stamped sheetmetal ones and I rarely use them.  Those things were tooled-up decades ago when cars had smaller/narrower tires and there was more ground clearance under the front bumpers (the ramp angle is pretty steep).  

On a smooth shop floor they won't stay in place when you try to drive up onto them.  They start scooting forward when the tires hit them.  And between the tire slots being too narrow + they don't have a big enough stopping notch at the top . . .  it's too easy to drive right off the end of the ramps.  Especially with a stick shift.  

----------------------------------------------------------

IMO the newer 2-piece plastic ramps look like a better item.  The plastic would give it more grip to stay in place on the shop floor.  Drive up onto them with both pieces in place, and then remove the slanted ramp piece for better access under the car behind the front wheels.  

I've seen quite a few DIY ramps made of wood.  It's not rocket science.  

RallyeMike

I ditched my ramps a long time ago. Too often one or both would slip when driving up them and I was always scared of accidentally driving off the end of them. Too much risk of damaging the car for a one man operation in my opinion.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Mopar Nut

I like to use wooden cribbing.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

XH29N0G

If you go with ramps, just check them out for safety period some are not as safe as others you also going to need or want  stands
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

WHITE AND RED 69

I've got a set of the Race Ramps and am a huge fan and use them way more than I thought I would. I used to have a cheap set that would slide when driving up them but the Race Ramps don't move at all and having them 2 pieces is great when working underneath. It's also nice that they are light so storing them is a breeze. I've also got a set of the wheel cribs which come in handy when raising the whole car.

They are a bit pricey but 100% worth it to me. And made in the USA!
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

BSB67

I made s set of wooden ones 45 years ago.  They worked great.  I made them taller and longer.  Down side - they were heavy and took up a lot of space.  The last time I moved, I did not bring them with me. 

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

mr. hemi

I have a set of plastic ones that resemble the race ramps pictured. Had them for years, use them quite often, especially for quick oil changes on the daily drivers. Then I don't have to move the cars from on, and underneath the lift to use it. The ramps I have came with rubber inserts on the bottom that really helps with the skidding problem. Most everything I own is manual transmissions as well, never drove a vehicle over the edge yet.
You know you are vintage when someone says, "Back in the day", and you can dispute their facts.

Troy

I have a set of these that I got for oil changes on the 2015 Charger Scat Pack (very low clearance). I use them all the time for all the other vehicles too. They will slide if you hit them too fast but they have a lot of bottom surface area and an old floor mat or piece of rubber takes care of that. It doesn't look like they are still in production though (maybe replaced with a newer model?). I recently got a Kwik Lift so I feel like my mini ramp use will be limited.
https://www.amazon.com/Scepter-08226-Plastic-Automotive-Ramp/dp/B004XATP04/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Dano 1

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I've been looking at RaceRamps stuff mostly due to the very positive feedback and lightweight design but that comes at a price. Today was a classic example where I had the car up on jackstands twice adjusting the transmission linkage and fixing some exhaust leaks which would have been a heck of a lot easier with ramps.
Ideally I'd get a set that would work with my wife's 2014 Durango as well since there's really not a great place to even put jackstands under that thing, I guess everything is designed to be serviced on lifts these days...

www.nextgendesignsnc.com

chargered

I have a plastic set that I use a lot.  I had our 6,800 lb. SUV on them with no problems.

67440chrg

I made wooden ones years ago. They try to slip sometimes when driving on. I use them now more as cribbing and jack it up then place them under the tires.

Charger_Dart

Another vote for the Race Ramps. I have a set that I use for the 11 Challenger and other cars when I need something quick and easy. They are light, strong, and don't seem to ever slip.  :2thumbs:
68 Charger R/T & 68 Dart GT Convertible

chargered

The "Race Ramps" sound pretty good.  Who sells them?

Mopar Nut

Quote from: chargered on September 29, 2020, 02:41:14 PM
The "Race Ramps" sound pretty good.  Who sells them?

Summit Racing
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Kern Dog

Ramps? I used to until I bought this:

blakemon

Nice lift. I'm planning to buy one next year.

Old Moparz

Haven't used mine in ages but I still have them. The last time I did use them, I remember laying two pieces of wood on the floor between the ramps & the wall of the garage to prevent them from sliding.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Dano 1

Nice lift KernDog, not all of us are so well endowed with ceiling height so we have to make do. I've thought about a maxjack type system but I wouldn't have enough room to park another car in the garage which I need to be able to do so I'll have to put my lift dreams on hold until the next house.

Old Moparz that's a really good idea, I'm often working in the driveway so my other thought was just putting the ramps up against the ~1" lip of the garage slab which should hold them in place just fine.

www.nextgendesignsnc.com

Old Moparz

Quote from: Dano 1 on September 30, 2020, 12:49:30 PM

Old Moparz that's a really good idea, I'm often working in the driveway so my other thought was just putting the ramps up against the ~1" lip of the garage slab which should hold them in place just fine.

I've used the lip in a hurry too.   :cheers:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus