News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can Anyone Identify this Race Car Panel?

Started by RSI700VIPER, October 16, 2020, 07:12:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RSI700VIPER

I bought this piece from a local wing and rib joint with a NASCAR theme that went out of business.  Most of the stuff was pictures and repro stuff but there were a few, what appears to be older sheet metal pieces from wrecked cars.  I liked this piece since it wears Bobby Allison Colors and it has his number on one side, and Miller High Life on the other which was a sponsor of Bobby Allison.  Its a little beat up and has 3" holes drilled in the corners.  It measures about 2' x 3' and about 1/8" to 3/16" thick.  The place also had a full size sprint car on a platform with a dummy engine.  If this were an actual piece of a sprint or stock car,  does anyone know where it might go?  
69 V2 Daytona 440 4-Speed 3.54 Dana
70 FJ5 Superbird 440+6 4-Speed 3.54 Dana
69 Talladega Torino 428 CJ
69 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler II Gurney Special
70 T6 Challenger T/A 4-speed
70 V2 Challenger R/T 440 Six Pack 4-speed
71 FC7 Challenger Vert Flemington Speedway Pace Car
71 V2 Challenger RT Formal Roof w/ V2 Stripe & Houndstooth

JB400

6bblgt

6bblgt

1987 was the last year for Bobby Allison in NASCAR with the 22 Miller sponsored car, but they were still using the hand held pit-boards (pic from "the WINSON" all-star race from '87)

must be from a car/race with a tribute paint job  :scratchchin:  or created as a display piece  :shruggy:

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

RSI700VIPER

Could be repop memorabilia.  The owner acquired the restaurant with the NASCAR stuff in it so he doesn't know of it's origins.   It's made of heavy gauge aluminum though and about 1/8 - 3/16 inch thick.  I would think repos would be thin and flimsy.  I also picked up a couple of quick fill fuel cans that were hanging on a wall.  The owner said they were props but they are actual "Benson" refuel cans once used by NASCAR and other racing racing organizations.  There was also a roof section with relief flaps.  Brown with #88 and a UPS decal that could have come off a Jarrett car.  It was pretty heavy and beat up, but I didn't have a place for it in my shop.  Kinda regret not taking that piece.
69 V2 Daytona 440 4-Speed 3.54 Dana
70 FJ5 Superbird 440+6 4-Speed 3.54 Dana
69 Talladega Torino 428 CJ
69 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler II Gurney Special
70 T6 Challenger T/A 4-speed
70 V2 Challenger R/T 440 Six Pack 4-speed
71 FC7 Challenger Vert Flemington Speedway Pace Car
71 V2 Challenger RT Formal Roof w/ V2 Stripe & Houndstooth

Aero426

As mentioned, it looks like a lollipop board which is too new for the Allison Miller High Life era.    The number is not a DiGard #22 or Allison #22 font.

bannedbird

A few of the signs from the 1987 race for reference. 
- Superbird Steve - Chicago
1970 A13 E86 D32 B5 H2XW w/GIII, ITB, 6L85

bannedbird

I have never seen the pit signs in person or follow racing to that detail (lollypops?).  But, looking at the pictures of the #22 sign at top of the thread I think it could be real.  Why would a reproduction or a fan spend the extra money to cut the outside parameter of the metal to match the logo?  A square or rectangle would be fine for a reproduction.  Someone spent extra money because they wanted the effect (Miller logo).

Is it the original "font" for #22?  I didn't check.  But, I could see the scenario where the original sign was worn out and repainted.  My opinion - no facts.
- Superbird Steve - Chicago
1970 A13 E86 D32 B5 H2XW w/GIII, ITB, 6L85

odcics2

Why is this in the aero section?
You'd get more input in the general car guys discussion area.   :Twocents:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?