News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Sent my ‘69 Charger 1300+ miles for body/paint work! (Updated!)

Started by rikubot, October 02, 2020, 10:53:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rikubot

A couple years ago I sent my car off for new quarters, roof skin, trunk drop downs, valance and a few other things. I paid up front and got the car back with a lot to be desired. I was told the metal work was finished, but you didn't have to look closely to see that it wasn't done right. Fast forward to now: my car is currently at Harrington Classic Car Restorations in Asheboro, NC (1300 miles away, I live in Colorado). I've been watching their page on Instagram for over a year now and I am blown away at the level of detail in his work. So far I am very happy with my experience with the shop and Kevin, the body/paint Wizard. He posts updates almost everyday of the work he is doing. Definitely a workaholic.

'69 Charger, 440/727

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

rikubot

The first photo is the state of the car as my dad bought it. It's had a few changes since then but nothing major to the body. The picture of the valance corners are from after I got it back from the first body shop. Notice anything wrong? Lol. The next one is the car getting loaded for the trip to Asheboro and a few from Kevin's Instagram going over the car trying to decide how he's going to fix what the other shop did wrong.
'69 Charger, 440/727

rikubot

I've got quite a few pictures to share from Kevin at the shop. A lot of progress has been made on the car.

- He has fixed the areas where the trim didn't fit well (both windshield and rear window)

- Filler the seam between the quarters and rocker panels with patches

- He got the doors gapped and perfect

- The passenger side door got a piece grafted in from another door because of a rust issue

- He filled in the sail panel seam with a strip of metal and welded it in

- The unibody has been sanded, epoxied, body worked and primed

- The deck lid has been body worked and primed (it was in poor shape)

I also want to note that the body was in really rough shape both from the previous work and 50 years of a hard life. We are still looking for a rear bumper for it before he can finish fitting the new tail light panel and fixing the valence corners. Super exciting stuff!  :popcrn:

'69 Charger, 440/727

rikubot

Some more photos:

'69 Charger, 440/727

rikubot

'69 Charger, 440/727

JB400

1970Moparmann

Yet another story of bad work at a shop...   Hope you got some of your money back!   Glad you found a good shop! :2thumbs:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

AKcharger

When you have the $$$ and don't mind car gone for a long time., thats definatly the way to go!!

rikubot

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on December 16, 2020, 08:11:18 AM
Yet another story of bad work at a shop...   Hope you got some of your money back!   Glad you found a good shop! :2thumbs:

Yep, another one. I can tell you which shop in Littleton, CO to avoid. Sadly I'm not looking to pursue any recourse. I figured it would be more trouble than it's worth. I'm very happy to have found a good shop, even if it was halfway across the country 😜
'69 Charger, 440/727

rikubot

Quote from: AKcharger on December 16, 2020, 09:53:05 AM
When you have the $$$ and don't mind car gone for a long time., thats definatly the way to go!!

I could never do what this guy does. And he's faster and more affordable than I expected! I'm pretty certain that he will be finished before I have my engine ready and I've got a lot of little things left to do that are going to add up in cost which will slow me down even more.
'69 Charger, 440/727

70 sublime

I did not go back through the whole thread
Did you ever say what colour you are going to paint your car ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

rikubot

Quote from: 70 sublime on December 16, 2020, 12:22:19 PM

I don't think I did. I'm pretty sure I'm going with the B5 blue, but I haven't ruled out others if you have suggestions or pics. There's a nice turquoise that was really rare for '69 that I really like too 🤔
'69 Charger, 440/727

CDN72SE

I also had to get a second shop to fix/continue what the first shop didn't.

God luck with the resto.  :2thumbs:
1972 Charger SE

70 sublime

Quote from: rikubot on December 16, 2020, 12:38:09 PM

I don't think I did. I'm pretty sure I'm going with the B5 blue, but I haven't ruled out others if you have suggestions or pics. There's a nice turquoise that was really rare for '69 that I really like too 🤔

Q5 ?

That is what my 69 was originally
Think I am going to paint mine F6 green  :2thumbs:
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

rikubot

Quote from: 70 sublime on December 16, 2020, 01:48:09 PM
Quote from: rikubot on December 16, 2020, 12:38:09 PM

Q5 ?

That is what my 69 was originally
Think I am going to paint mine F6 green  :2thumbs:

Yes sir. It's even hard to find pictures of it online. So you're wanting to change it up to F6? Mine started at F8.
'69 Charger, 440/727

rikubot

Quote from: CDN72SE on December 16, 2020, 01:26:44 PM
I also had to get a second shop to fix/continue what the first shop didn't.

God luck with the resto.  :2thumbs:

Sorry to hear that! Such a bummer. I appreciate it though, I'm gonna need it! So many little things I still need that will add up. And the engine still needs rebuilt!
'69 Charger, 440/727

rikubot

Quote from: JB400 on December 16, 2020, 03:57:18 AM
Looks good. Somebody had fun with the decklid.

Yeah, looks like somebody had a ball peen hammer and an afternoon of boredom XD
'69 Charger, 440/727

rikubot

Here's an update from the body shop:

The brand new AMD hood has been stripped and primed. Thing is looking goooood  :2thumbs:

'69 Charger, 440/727

rikubot

'69 Charger, 440/727

AKcharger

rikubot

Some of those AMD panels have been known to have some surface rust under the e-coat from time to time. Better safe than sorry!
'69 Charger, 440/727

AKcharger

rikubot

'69 Charger, 440/727

rikubot

Setting the fenders on gettin ready to do some body work on them:

'69 Charger, 440/727