News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hey Daytona/500 people 2 questions...

Started by AKcharger, October 04, 2020, 10:09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

About the back window. I've never noticed the original window frame is still there!
1) What is in that space wherer the rear window frame is? I've never noticed in person or in complete cars
2) It looks like theres rust around the frame...is that STILL a problem spot even without glass??

Thanks

gtx6970

Quote from: AKcharger on October 04, 2020, 10:09:28 AM

1) What is in that space where the rear window frame is?  ,  Nothing
2) It looks like theres rust around the frame...is that STILL a problem spot even without glass??  Yes, just not as much as if the area is exposed like on a normal charger 

Thanks

DAY CLONA

Quote from: AKcharger on October 04, 2020, 10:09:28 AM
About the back window. I've never noticed the original window frame is still there!
1) What is in that space wherer the rear window frame is? I've never noticed in person or in complete cars
2) It looks like theres rust around the frame...is that STILL a problem spot even without glass??

Thanks

That "space" is the original dutchman panel of the stock Charger backlight roof/trunk section, it's trimmed and left in place to accommodate the rear window plug to turn the Charger into a "fastback", the original Charger trunk is also cut and shortened to accommodate the window plug, normally in a Daytona/C500 you won't see that "space" panel if the package tray is in place...

Mike 

AKcharger

Quote from: DAY CLONA on October 04, 2020, 10:56:38 AM
... normally in a Daytona/C500 you won't see that "space" panel if the package tray is in place...

Mike 

Ah, package tray, makes sense. I knew of the mod they went through and understand it cost $$ to remove the window frame, just looks super weird when you see a photo of it apart.  don't understand how  normal window frame still rusts INSIDE the car

DAY CLONA

Quote from: AKcharger on October 04, 2020, 11:37:33 AM
Quote from: DAY CLONA on October 04, 2020, 10:56:38 AM
... normally in a Daytona/C500 you won't see that "space" panel if the package tray is in place...

Mike  

Ah, package tray, makes sense. I knew of the mod they went through and understand it cost $$ to remove the window frame, just looks super weird when you see a photo of it apart.  don't understand how  normal window frame still rusts INSIDE the car

If you look at enough original Daytona/C500 that didn't live in protective coverings over the years, the bodywork around the rear window plugs didn't hold up well, the plugs were just stitch welded in place, so lots of openings to let water in over the years once the paint/body work started to deteriorate....

Mike

AKcharger

odcics2

Original plugs on 500s and Daytonas were leaded in, after the stitch welds. Pretty leak proof.
Pretty labor intensive. Those guys had talent.
I'm sure anyone restoring one used lead!

Body filler was used on Birds, instead of lead, hence the vinyl tops to hide the imperfections.

The 500-Daytona plugs had hardly any primer on them. 
The cars were built to homologate for racing, not last 50 years.
Seems folks always forget that!
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,                    19 October 2020

One of the things we noticed with our Daytona is when you open the trunk and then reach inside the trunk and put your hand up inside where the original window was, you'll likely find tempered glass crumbs, which indicates they removed the original windows with a few blows of a ball-peen hammer or other Speedy Window Removal Tools.

It's also a good indication the car is probably genuine and original.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

426HemiChick

Quote from: odcics2 on October 06, 2020, 08:28:24 AM
Original plugs on 500s and Daytonas were leaded in, after the stitch welds. Pretty leak proof.
Pretty labor intensive. Those guys had talent.
I'm sure anyone restoring one used lead!

Body filler was used on Birds, instead of lead, hence the vinyl tops to hide the imperfections.

The 500-Daytona plugs had hardly any primer on them. 
The cars were built to homologate for racing, not last 50 years.
Seems folks always forget that!

Hi Odcics2,                      20 October 2020

Thanks for the info on the window plugs. We have often wondered why the Super Bird had a vinyl top and what Creative used on the Daytona's plugs.

We didn't forget; that's one of the reasons we have kept ours locked up for the last 45 years.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

aerolith

That's right Greg,

Nicely 'leaded-up' 392-C500 window plug fitments by Creative :2thumbs:, must have got a little 'less cared for' when they did another 502 Daytona's lol :slap:

Mostly rot around the frame was down to adhesive failure from hot/cold climates allowing water ingress 'down the sides' and especially along the 'bottom' ooh eer :spank: :moon: :blush2:

Homologate, what a word that is, normally if a word has 'gate' on the end it means trouble lol :patriot: :2guns: :nixon:
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

odcics2

The NOS rear plug for #88 required that the surface rust be removed!
And it never saw any moisture since 1969!
The primer was spotty, at best... 
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

5hunert

And since Creative didn't modify the rear defogers, they were pretty much useless pointed at the very top of the window.