News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Charger garage/storage question

Started by miller time, October 06, 2020, 07:55:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miller time

Hey y'all long time no post, I've been busy buying a house and moving and working.
So to my garage challenged friends, I now live in the rural Georgia, and my garage queen has gone from an air conditioned garage to a mostly 2 sided out building, the building is probably 30x60 with millings for the floor.
So, how do I keep the mice, wasps, mud dobbers, coons, squirrels and spiders at bay? Also how should I insulate the tin roof so the condensation doesn't drip on my car every morning? How do I prevent mold inside the car?
Please let me know what works best

I plan to extend the walls down into to the ground a few inches, and should I wall off the car on the inside and front completely? Chemical spray ideas? Damp rid?
I'll try to post a picture of the building to give you an idea what I'm up against
Thanks!

miller time

That's my crew cab long bed truck tucked nicely inside

JB400

How about putting in a concrete slab, then putting on sliding doors or barn style?

miller time

Quote from: JB400 on October 07, 2020, 02:18:14 AM
How about putting in a concrete slab, then putting on sliding doors or barn style?

I thought about it but I really want to build metal building on a slab that can house a two post lift, it's hard to justify pouring concrete to just end up not using or sledgehammering it out
Thanks

70 sublime

How long do you plan on having to keep your car in this shed ?

Sounds like you are going to build a shop ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

miller time

Quote from: 70 sublime on October 07, 2020, 08:59:27 AM
How long do you plan on having to keep your car in this shed ?

Sounds like you are going to build a shop ?

It'll probably be years, I don't sell the headache by then lol

birdsandbees

Wish I'd realized this 40 years ago, but the most important thing to cover is the free access point to your vents and heater box.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

miller time

Quote from: birdsandbees on October 08, 2020, 10:34:02 AM
Wish I'd realized this 40 years ago, but the most important thing to cover is the free access point to your vents and heater box.

Thanks for the tip! My car has a lot of "access" holes, I'm going to spray atleast around the car with poison but I don't think I can much for wasps and mud dobbers

CFMopar

Bounce sheets keep mice away. Pretty simple to throw a few in the car
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

Dano 1

Steel wool is also handy for blocking access points, especially exhaust etc. as mice won't eat it.

Covers can sometimes make condensation and moisture trapping worse but in your case I'd be tempted to get a lightweight cover that's at least somewhat waterproof to help keep any drips or leaks from collecting on the car. With the building being open you should get enough air flow to keep moisture at bay.
1969 Charger 383 2bbl, R4 red, White hat special project

Check out my website for 3D printed restoration parts and accessories.
www.nextgendesignsnc.com

Old Moparz

Unless you get the car inside & elevated you'll be fighting the rodent & insect war forever.  ::)

As for the concrete slab, why would you demolish it later?

Plan ahead & pour the minimum thickness where the lift will be anchored & a standard thickness elsewhere.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

gtx6970

Quote from: Old Moparz on November 10, 2020, 03:37:09 PM
Unless you get the car inside & elevated you'll be fighting the rodent & insect war forever.  ::)

As for the concrete slab, why would you demolish it later?

Plan ahead & pour the minimum thickness where the lift will be anchored & a standard thickness elsewhere.

yep

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Dano 1 on November 09, 2020, 11:42:37 AM
Steel wool is also handy for blocking access points, especially exhaust etc. as mice won't eat it.

Covers can sometimes make condensation and moisture trapping worse but in your case I'd be tempted to get a lightweight cover that's at least somewhat waterproof to help keep any drips or leaks from collecting on the car. With the building being open you should get enough air flow to keep moisture at bay.

They might it eat but they will burrow through it. Mice ain't going through the hood vents.  :Twocents:

Old Moparz

Experiment to see how small the gap has to be to keep out a mouse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHOx39xJack

In most cases you're fighting a losing battle.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus