News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

8 3/4 outer axle seal. RTV sealant or not?

Started by Staxbro, October 07, 2020, 02:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staxbro

Hi- The old seals seem to have some RTV sealant on the outer part of the seal. I would think that is unnecessary- just a little gear oil on the edge of the new seal to help slide it in.
Am I wrong?
I'm not a fan of glooping  sealant everywhere....

Kern Dog

The seal is an interference fit. I have sealed them and not sealed them. The only ones that I have had leak are the ones where I installed them out of square.

375instroke

It has it's place, but I can't stand RTV on everything, and especially on intimate contact parts.  I like Aviation Permatex on stuff like that.  It doesn't leave a bunch of bright red goop squeezing out everywhere to break off and possibly mess something up.

John_Kunkel

The inner axle seal style differs with the maker, the original factory seals had the outer periphery coated with rubber so they make a tight seal but many (most) aftermarket seals have a thin seal coating that I'm not sure of.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Birdflu

If your new seals do not have the rubber coating on the O.D., just smear a very thin coat of RTV in the housing bore (no need for 'glooping' as you call it) then drive the new seals in squarely like KD mentioned. The seal will 'plow' the very thin coat of RTV to the lubricant side of the seal housing. It will not leak.  :2thumbs: