News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Defective N E W cam.....Have you ever seen this before?

Started by Kern Dog, October 09, 2020, 12:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kern Dog

Quote from: AKcharger on October 23, 2020, 08:02:00 AM
So did you return it for a refund...did they give you any grief??  :popcrn:

I returned it and politely declined a replacement. I am going to use a USED MP 280/474 that comes with the original lifters from the original position.

Challenger340

Quote from: Kern Dog on October 23, 2020, 08:11:02 AM

I returned it and politely declined a replacement. I am going to use a USED MP 280/474 that comes with the original lifters from the original position.

Were you able to return it directly back to Comp Cams ? or just to the retailer who Sold it to you ?
Just say'in....
GOOD for you if it was sent right back to Comp Cams, because maybe if more people did(a few thousand) they might begin to cleanup their act ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Challenger340 on October 23, 2020, 08:00:29 AM
and if your Cam doesn't pass the 'lint test' or has a sharp edge ? Get USED TO IT Maybe ?

Still don't see the foul from a functional standpoint.  :shruggy:
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: John_Kunkel on October 23, 2020, 11:07:36 AM
Quote from: Challenger340 on October 23, 2020, 08:00:29 AM
and if your Cam doesn't pass the 'lint test' or has a sharp edge ? Get USED TO IT Maybe ?

Still don't see the foul from a functional standpoint.  :shruggy:

Ive pulled them out of the box with burrs that would contact the lifters. 

Kern Dog

Quote from: Challenger340 on October 23, 2020, 08:22:16 AM
Quote from: Kern Dog on October 23, 2020, 08:11:02 AM

Were you able to return it directly back to Comp Cams ? or just to the retailer who Sold it to you ?
Just say'in....
GOOD for you if it was sent right back to Comp Cams, because maybe if more people did(a few thousand) they might begin to cleanup their act ?

I got it from Summit Racing.
The lint test....
Since the the lifters ride up to the edge and because there were 7 lobes with sharp edges....I could have filed down the edges, taking a chance of slipping or maybe cutting through the surface hardening. How would that have been a good thing? These edges were vertical, not horizontal past the side of the lobes.

ACUDANUT

Summit also sold me a defective oil pump that had pin holes in the new casting. Oil was squirting and spraying everywhere. :brickwall:

XH29N0G

A question from someone who is not an engine builder, but is considering a cam swap on a 10:1, 450 CI, e-headed engine near Baltimore.  Is there a significant difference (would it be better) between proceeding with the comp XS282S that is recommended on other threads and inspecting and deburring if necessary, or seeing if I could talk with Jim at Racer Brown (from the discussion on the other thread) about a solid flat tapet?
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: XH29N0G on October 24, 2020, 10:07:31 AM
A question from someone who is not an engine builder, but is considering a cam swap on a 10:1, 450 CI, e-headed engine near Baltimore.  Is there a significant difference (would it be better) between proceeding with the comp XS282S that is recommended on other threads and inspecting and deburring if necessary, or seeing if I could talk with Jim at Racer Brown (from the discussion on the other thread) about a solid flat tapet?

Didnt realize you were in my neck of the woods, the bottom line is there will not be much difference in peak power on the dyno between jims grind and the comp grind. Not to take anything away from the xs282 as i have used it and it makes great power, but i feel jims grind is better and more precise. Splitting hairs? Yeah, probably, but i think its a better cam.

XH29N0G

Thanks,

I gave the impression of being closer than I am.  I am closer to Washington DC than Baltimore.  

I think an hour and change away from you and just over 30 minutes from where Racer Brown is located.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: XH29N0G on October 25, 2020, 09:21:40 AM

Thanks,

I gave the impression of being closer than I am.  I am closer to Washington DC than Baltimore.  

I think an hour and change away from you and just over 30 minutes from where Racer Brown is located.

I only live 20 minutes from jimmy, and about an hour from downtown dc.

Challenger340

Quote from: XH29N0G on October 24, 2020, 10:07:31 AM

IMO, the XS282S is a great "Default" grind..... meaning if unsure about anything or which way to go it's always a good selection.
That said,
if you have accurate Cylinder Head flow data and some engine dynamics, some improvements in the Grind/Lobes particular to that data/application can always be made ?

Sry, not trying to confuse the issue.... just say'ing when building/modifying.... I believe 'output' on anything is only as good as the imput beforehand ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !