News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Factory rear springs for second gen Charger

Started by 70 sublime, October 12, 2020, 11:58:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

70 sublime

On the second gen Charger were all the rear suspension springs the same but the better cars ( R/T ) just got more leafs ?

Or were the spring leafs made out of wider or thicker material also ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

BLK 68 R/T

XH29N0G

It was possible to have HD springs on other chargers.  Even though it was an XH, the one my dad ordered had the HD springs.

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

70 sublime

I need to get my springs re arched on my car as they are sagging a lot

Saw a set for sale locally and thought if I could take them to a spring shop and get them rebuilt with a couple more leafs
I could just swap them in when ready instead of having my car dead for who knows how long if the shop was busy

OK then

How many leafs were on a regular Charger and how many were in the heavy duty set up ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

XH29N0G

I could be wrong.  For my 70, I have 6 full leaves on the diver side. and 5 plus 2 half leaves on the passenger side (see picture - I added a shim as well in the pic).  I had always been told this was the HD set up, but am willing to be corrected.

I do not know what the 'normal' set up was.  If this is it please correct me.

Edit:  Your question got me thinking and searching and I found this little article. https://www.hotrod.com/articles/rebuild-five-leaf-turn-hemi-type-suspension-improved-hook-handling/ It looks like the additional leaves can be added to the 5 leaf set up.  
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Mike DC

This definitely goes for 1968-70 B-bodies.  Possibly all the way from 1966-72:

The Charger model got slightly stiffer springs even with the lowest drivetrain options.  A slant-6 Coronet or Satellite could have as little as 3 leafs in back and 0.88" torsion bars.  But base model Chargers had 4 leafs and 0.90" torsion bars.  

Chargers had 318s for the base motor but you could optionally give it a slant-6 for the same price.  IIRC the slant-6 Chargers had the front sway bar deleted but it still had the same leafs & torsion bars as a 318/383 Charger.  Not 100% sure but I think so.    

The stiffest possible springs for B-bodies were all the same, Charger and others - the staggered "6-leaf" setup in the rear (what XH29N0G described above) + 0.92" torsion bars.  This applied to Hemis and 440s, stick and auto, 8.75 or Dana 60.