News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Head bolt swap out to add headers ? ( interference issues on only 3 bolts )

Started by chargernut69, October 12, 2020, 02:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargernut69

Hi,

Well, I bought me a great set of TTI 440-2 headers for my '69 Charger resto-mod project !       

However, I did not read the fine print where it says on TTI website --  "Cylinder Head Studs:  Head studs may be used on the Passenger-side, however, on the Drivers-side the header tubes will not clear the cylinder head studs below the #3, #5 and #7 cylinders.  We recommend ARP bolts for clearance in these areas."

The engine has 452 cast iron heads with standard size head bolts, and sure enough, the headers are hitting the head bolts on the Driver's side.....     

So I purchases a set of new ARP 145-3606 12-point head bolts from Summit.  ( Note:  The 440 engine is sitting on my K-frame stand in the garage, dry water jackets... )

Question --  If I individually replace the head bolts under the header locations for the #3, #5, #7 cylinders with the ARP head bolts ( 3 bolts total ), and re-torque each one as I go, will it cause any issues ?

guess I'm being paranoid... ?

Thanks,
Jack

Kern Dog

You will be fine.
Strange issue though. I have not seen this happen when using the right header gasket and stock head bolts.

nchrome

l bought a set of Hedmen headers and didn't have any clearance  problems  except  my engine was in the car and the only way to put the drivers side in was to put both header and starter in at the same time (plus raise the engine a little) other wise didn't have to change any head bolts.

Kern Dog

That isn't just Hedman that works that way. My 2" TTI headers require the same procedure.

chargernut69

So is it possible to use different ( thicker ? ) header gaskets to eliminate the need to change the bolts with the TTI headers  ?   ( TTI 440-200 )

c00nhunterjoe

Thicker head gaskets will drop compression. Why do you run studs on it? How much power is it making. Arp bolts are good to over 1000 hp.

chargernut69

No issues with the head gaskets...   

I was wondering about the thickness of the gaskets between the headers and exhaust ports on the heads...  sorry, should have clarified.

nchrome

doubling the gaskets on the header will only increase the chances of blowing the seal between the header and the head :brickwall:.  l wouldn't do that but its your car. :Twocents:

c00nhunterjoe

My apologies,  i misread the initial post. I thought you had studs in it.

chargernut69

Well, I changed out the head bolt next to cylinder 7 today with an ARP bolt ( no washer ), and it was better...  but still had to ding the tube slightly in the spot with a hammer as it was still touching.  So much for my ceramic coating in that small spot.

So I put headers on the engine, & did a dry run with lowering the car onto  the K-frame stand with my 2-post lift.  All seems ok bu may still have some issues with fit near the pass. torsion bar area.   Was hoping it would have sufficient room, but not so sure.   Will now opt to install the engine without headers in case I need to "adjust" them around the torsion bar.  Oh well... was hoping not to have to put them on from under the car using the lift.

c00nhunterjoe

I would have called tti before taking a hammer to them. And now they are not going to fit in the car? Something is amiss.