News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bad repo + battery cable heads up

Started by b5blue, October 15, 2020, 10:48:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

Bought repo positive big block battery cable off eBay a few years ago, it was about 30.00. After installing I spent a few months chasing intermittent "no crank for start" and I found the crimp defective at the molded post connector. (I used a block of wood and hammer to "adjust" crimp.) Yesterday the problem came back so I cut open the crimp. I found the tips of the 2 wires tinned with solder but the big wire had insulation stripped back only about 1/2". This wire could have been inserted about 1 1/4" as the hole on the connector runs that deep. So not only is the crimp loose, the conductor is short. With it apart I noticed the large wire is made of very fine wire like welding cable and I'd think larger a more "Automotive grade application".  :scratchchin: 
  Just a heads up if you got the economy cable, it could just be I got bad one.  :shruggy:

GMP440

I almost bought one of those because of the price.  The cable assembly looked good.  However, the aweful looking terminal with the crimp. 
  I read from others about connection problems because of the crimping.  Decided on buying a much better looking ,quality cable from B&H Electric.  No crimping.  Almost an NOS cable.
   $110 for the cable.  B&H makes them using the old Chrysler blueprints.

XH29N0G

Thanks for posting.  I had a similar experience with an economical cable that a shop put on my car.  It looked pretty when new, but was too small and heated up causing problems.  I replaced with one that was thicker gauge, cost more, but works well.  :cheers:
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....