News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona back window glass

Started by 70 sublime, October 15, 2020, 07:29:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70 sublime

I have come across a guy that says he has a Daytona back window glass

How do you tell the difference between an original glass and the reproduction ones they were making for a while ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

70 sublime

Can anyone give me the dimensions of the glass width and height ?

Was there something about the reproduction glass was flat and Daytona glass has a dish to it ?

I see a picture of the one in question and it looks like it has a curve to it

Was the glass clear or did they come tinted ?   

hemi-hampton

70 sublime

Hard to say at this point

The guy is trying to sell it for a friend
Says he is away from home till Monday and will get me some measurements then

white

Here is a picture of my rear glass date code located in the lower right corner.

white

The reproduction glass I have seen has the date code/etching in the bottom center.

birdsandbees

Interesting.. as Bird and any other B body rear glass is etched dead center bottom. Funny they put Daytona glass off to one side.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

white

Maybe Danny might know the answer

70 sublime

Can anyone measure a Daytona back glass ?

How wide and how tall it is ?

panhead

Good day folks,

Here are the pictures you have requested
This is an original back glass
The first pic is center top to bottom
The second pic is center side to side

Curt
69' Dodge Charger 500
69' Dodge Daytona "Replica"

70 sublime

DAY CLONA

The few/3 or so repro companies that made Tona/C500 rear glass over the decades made it in safety glass/laminate, basically like a windshield, 2 layers of glass with a plastic membrane between them, so if you see sandwiched/laminate construction when viewing the edges you'll know what you have, only AMD made the rear glass tempered 1 pc as original, the company "OEM GLASS" made a short run of Bird/Tona glass that was tinted, but still a laminate glass many years ago (original glass was always clear for both wingcars)....I'd be cautious on the AMD glass, as I had a few customers that had fitment issues using my steel repro rear window plugs with AMD glass, some customers saying the glass swam around in the opening and some saying the glass was tight, I only have one jig for making plugs, so they are all the same when they leave me, after checking dimensions of customer's plug installs and glass being used, I noted the AMD glass dimensions I was being supplied by customers was varying by almost 1/2" difference in height along with varying side dimensions (measuring the side dimensions is tough to ascertain  because of the side taper/varying convex curves and measuring techniques used, unless someone supplies you a mask/template of their glass to overlay) one of the reason I suspect AMD made you agree to receiving the glass Bird/Tona when purchased, as is as seen, no returns, no exceptions... the AMD glass was a limited run, now discontinued...why? IDK?

Mike

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,                     18 October 2020

Just took a look at our DC's rear back light. It has the etching in the lower right corner and is etched on the inside of the glass. It is Solid, Tempered Safety Glass, Has the PenStar Symbol in the left middle of the etching. The P in the center could indicate PPG produced it. It is difficult to read and looks like the one in the photo White supplied of his. Hope this helps.

The DC's back light is convex in that it curves out towards the center from side to side following the lines of the top/rear window plug. It is not flat and not concave.

We did locate a company in 2019 that claims to be able to duplicate the tempered glass and the correct etching and date code. We believe we can find their name and address again; the price was around $600.00 plus shipping, which seemed reasonable.

We have two repo's still in the box, which are laminate as "DAY CLONA" mentioned in the above post. We will try to locate the company we found last year. If and when we do, we will post it on this thread.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

DAY CLONA

Quote from: 426HemiChick on October 18, 2020, 02:04:33 PM

Just took a look at our DC's rear back light. It has the etching in the lower right corner and is etched on the inside of the glass. It is Solid, Tempered Safety Glass, Has the PenStar Symbol in the left middle of the etching. The P in the center could indicate PPG produced it. It is difficult to read and looks like the one in the photo White supplied of his. Hope this helps.

The DC's back light is convex in that it curves out towards the center from side to side following the lines of the top/rear window plug. It is not flat and not concave.

We did locate a company in 2019 that claims to be able to duplicate the tempered glass and the correct etching and date code. We believe we can find their name and address again; the price was around $600.00 plus shipping, which seemed reasonable.

We have two repo's still in the box, which are laminate as "DAY CLONA" mentioned in the above post. We will try to locate the company we found last year. If and when we do, we will post it on this thread.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks

Correct on the glass logo, it will be on the lower passenger side of the glass if OEM/original...was the repro glass company your looking for Alan Auto Glass? on the west coast? if so the proprietor passed away a few years ago and the Bird/Tona glass supply dried up as well....I never heard word of it being taken over/continued runs

Mike

426HemiChick

Quote from: DAY CLONA on October 18, 2020, 02:26:39 PM
Quote from: 426HemiChick on October 18, 2020, 02:04:33 PM

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks

Correct on the glass logo, it will be on the lower passenger side of the glass if OEM/original...was the repro glass company your looking for Alan Auto Glass? on the west coast? if so the proprietor passed away a few years ago and the Bird/Tona glass supply dried up as well....I never heard word of it being taken over/continued runs

Mike

Hi Mike,                    18 October 2020

I believe the company that we talked to is in the Dakotas. We'll do some checking tomorrow and see if we can come up with the answer.

Take Care.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

70 sublime

I am not holding my breath that this is right but here is the picture I was given

I see it has the electric window defrost wires on it which could have been added I guess but they seem to be too perfect and not some one just putting them on
Also seems to look tinted

Guy swears his friend built a Daytona and had an extra one

hemi68charger

Quote from: 70 sublime on October 18, 2020, 06:08:12 PM
I am not holding my breath that this is right but here is the picture I was given

I see it has the electric window defrost wires on it which could have been added I guess but they seem to be too perfect and not some one just putting them on

Is it my imagination or are there horizontal lines in the glass? I have my original glass to my 500 out in the garage, I can take a picture of it later on if noone else does..
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

426HemiChick

Quote from: 70 sublime on October 15, 2020, 08:55:31 PM
Can anyone give me the dimensions of the glass width and height ?

Was there something about the reproduction glass was flat and Daytona glass has a dish to it ?

I see a picture of the one in question and it looks like it has a curve to it

Was the glass clear or did they come tinted ?   

Hi Sublime,                             18 October 2020

I don't remember Mopar's having electrical heating elements on car windows in the 60's. My Father purchased a 73 Dodge Charger SE in the late fall of 72; it had a blower in the trunk that blew air up through a vent in the rear window package tray. Can't imagine Dodge putting one on the rear back light of a 69 Daytona. Not saying it couldn't happen.

I'd be a good bit skeptical as to the source of that window. Just listen to your gut feeling; if it doesn't feel right, most likely it isn't.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

Hi again Sublime,                  18 October 2020

Is it possible the person that has/had the window in question, built a clone Daytona and a window from some other make and model was used for the backlight in that project?

At one time we had two Ford Pinto Hatchbacks. They both had huge backlights. We're sure there were other makes and models that had similar sized back lights. Hemi-Hampton in an above post mentioned a GM Vega. Probably difficult to find one of them these days, they rusted away before the 12K mile warranty expired; it became a sport betting on when the body would collapse.

At any rate, hopefully, the place we found almost 2 years ago is still making them. If'n and when we find them, we'll post the info on this thread. In the meantime, Take care.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks

70 sublime

Quote from: 426HemiChick on October 18, 2020, 07:16:03 PM

Hi again Sublime,                  18 October 2020

Is it possible the person that has/had the window in question, built a clone Daytona and a window from some other make and model was used for the backlight in that project?

At one time we had two Ford Pinto Hatchbacks. They both had huge backlights. We're sure there were other makes and models that had similar sized back lights. Hemi-Hampton in an above post mentioned a GM Vega. Probably difficult to find one of them these days, they rusted away before the 12K mile warranty expired; it became a sport betting on when the body would collapse.

At any rate, hopefully, the place we found almost 2 years ago is still making them. If'n and when we find them, we'll post the info on this thread. In the meantime, Take care.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks

I have a Vega hatch that is not rotted out for my clone project  :2thumbs:

I know there were after market kits to ad the electric wire defroster to back windows but like I said I think the lines look to straight for someone to have added them

Will see what I can find out tomorrow as the seller was not going to be back home till Monday
Will see if I can get a better picture or some measurements 

odcics2

Original Daytona back glass was never tinted.
Or had defroster lines!    :o

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

70 sublime

Got the email today and said the glass measures 45" X 26 "

The glass we got a picture of for measurements 43 3/4" X 25 11/16 "

Pretty sure the one in the ad I came across is a Vega hatch glass
I have one but the chrome trim is still on it but it looks like the 45" X 26" numbers

The ad

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1529907375

426HemiChick

Hi Sublime,                       19 October 2020

We managed to locate where we picked up the info on the manufacturer of supposedly exact reproductions of the Daytona Back lights. We assume they make windows for the SB as well; will find out.

When we talked to them last year they said the window would be correct right down to the etching and date code. Now we have to wait until they open tomorrow morning.

Just want you to know we are working on it and hopefully we will have an answer tomorrow.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks

hemi-hampton

Quote from: 70 sublime on October 19, 2020, 05:30:07 PM
Got the email today and said the glass measures 45" X 26 "

The glass we got a picture of for measurements 43 3/4" X 25 11/16 "

Pretty sure the one in the ad I came across is a Vega hatch glass
I have one but the chrome trim is still on it but it looks like the 45" X 26" numbers

The ad

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1529907375

I would think a Vega rear Glass would be much more likely to have Defrost & Tint. :shruggy:

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,                   20 October 2020

Called the shop where we got the original info. Seems the person we talked to in March 2019, who gave us the info, is gone and the owner doesn't seem to know where he went.

Our only hope is we find the name and number of the company that makes the glass. We are sure we wrote it down, just don't know where the paper we wrote in on is at this moment.

We will keep looking. Did search the net, no luck so far.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks