News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Treating Rusty Hood

Started by BrokenHero, February 07, 2021, 08:31:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrokenHero

Hey guys -
I have a pretty original 68 with some rust on the hood. I'm a few years away from shelling out for good body
work and paint, but was wondering if there's something I can do in the interim.
I live in an apartment so can't go crazy, but was thinking of sanding, primering, then a little rattle can.

Thoughts or tips?
Thank you!

Ted
1968 Dodge Charger
383 4 barrel
PP1 red, black vinyl top
Los Angeles, CA

Domino

KBS rust seal
Satin black the whole hood. 
I've used a few projects and brushes out/flows to very smooth finish

b5blue

RallyeMike

A good part of the top side of my 69 was surface rust when I picked it up. I used the 3M Paint &Rust stipper wheel on a drill to get it to bare metal and then shot it with Rustoleum oil-based paint. This 3M wheel is a favorite of mine. It works great - removing all paint and rust to bare metal with almost no impact to the metal. Sandpaper won't get every bit of rust and most chemicals just cover it up or treat the surface, not always getting all the way down to the bottom of the rust. The only limitation with the 3M wheel is that they are only good on flat or curved surfaces. Any rough area like a window channel, etc. rips them apart pretty fast.

There are other similar brands out there too but I have not tried any. This is perfect for a job like this in your apartment parking lot. Its a slow process, but as good as a sandblast.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/3M-Paint-and-Rust-Stripper-Silicon-Carbide-4-in-Paint-Stripping-Disc/3036320?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-pnt-_-bing-_-pla-_-133-_-3036320-_-0&kpid&placeholder=null&ds_rl=1286981&msclkid=22634f50838818cb95972f71e51ed930&gclid=22634f50838818cb95972f71e51ed930&gclsrc=3p.ds
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

BrokenHero

Great tips, thanks guys!

Rallye Mike - that 3m attachment looks like a great call for this project! Now to find the rustoleum that looks closest to PP1 Red.

Thanks again!
Ted
1968 Dodge Charger
383 4 barrel
PP1 red, black vinyl top
Los Angeles, CA

BrokenHero

Thanks for the rec. the 3M paint and rust stripper is working great.

I want to go over it with some sand paper on a sanding block as well.

What grit do people recommend at this stage? I'm using rustoleum pro grade primer next, then rustoleum gloss enamel.

Thanks!
1968 Dodge Charger
383 4 barrel
PP1 red, black vinyl top
Los Angeles, CA

BrokenHero

I've been impressed by the 3M paint and rust stripper.

I also used Rustoleum Rust dissolver gel, which made the metal more silver looking but didn't seem to get out the pitting or black stuff.

I've also been using some 0 steel wool. Works very well to smooth things out.

And 150 sandpaper here and there.

Do people recommend going deeper to get black pitting out or stopping around here and priming and rattle canning?
Thanks!

Before and after on the worst patch attached.

1968 Dodge Charger
383 4 barrel
PP1 red, black vinyl top
Los Angeles, CA

hemi-hampton

a little hand held sand blaster you can buy from Harbor Freight for like $30 would get rid if the light rust in the pits & not have enough pressure or generate enough heat to warp hood, good for getting small spots. Do you have a air compressor?  LEON.

BrokenHero

Thanks Leon. Nope, don't have an air compressor.

I've been sanding and using the 3m paint and rust stripper more. Also did another round of Rustoleum Rust Dissolver. Here's a photo of the first patched I sprayed with primer.

I used this primer

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/professional/primer-spray/

I'm  going to do the rest of the exposed parts of the hood with this, sand it with 400 sandpaper, apply another coat, then spray on a few coats of Rustoleum regal red.
1968 Dodge Charger
383 4 barrel
PP1 red, black vinyl top
Los Angeles, CA

DownZero

With that much hood issues, why are you just spot treating it? You would be far better off doing the entire hood and prime/paint the whole thing. Would look a lot better than taped off patches.

BrokenHero

Yeah, that's a good point. My reasoning is that it's less than half of the hood and stripping the entire hood of paint in my apartment complex's garage would likely get me in trouble.

Update. The flat red primer actually looks similar to my oxidized PP1 red paint.

Do people think I can leave two thin coats of primer as is and just drive it, or is it better to sand with 400 grit, then blast it with the Rustoleum regal red?

Thanks
Ted
1968 Dodge Charger
383 4 barrel
PP1 red, black vinyl top
Los Angeles, CA

BrokenHero

Update. I contacted Rustoleum and they said not to leave the primer unpainted.

They also said not to sand.

I finished off this project by spraying a few coats of Regal Red over the primer. It looks a little herky jerky but I'm glad I removed all the rust and covered up the exposed metal.

It looks a bit better in person.
1968 Dodge Charger
383 4 barrel
PP1 red, black vinyl top
Los Angeles, CA