News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hey experts can you (update) follow my paint plan so I don't mess up

Started by AKcharger, October 16, 2020, 02:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PlainfieldCharger

Quote from: AKcharger on November 06, 2020, 09:01:28 PM
I hit the trunk and hood again tonight. I dropped the paint on from like 30,000 feet so that cured the runs lol. Looking directly at panels up close they look great but see patterns in direct sunlight. I'm hoping some more coats APPLIED PROPERLY will fix that problem??

Amadeus - That's about 4-5 coats AFTER the wet sanding
Plainfield  - Smart! May I suggest you "Mist" on the 1st few coats  very lightly. had I done that I'd be finshed by now! I'd say if you do it right 5-7 coats minimum. Hey how much did you pay for a gallon of K5 shopline? I paid $200 a gallon here in Fl
Canadian -- I did last '70 in PPG Omni single stage and it covered very well, shot some clear over it still looks great! This stuff is like water with food coloring, hope enough coats gets it right
             -- Yup gun is working like a champ!
             -- Yeah glad I didn't do just a panel!  I think I have it down now only problem is getting the bottom of the fenderrs and 1/4 with in line regulator and water seperator even on jact stands it's difficult

At least I feel better!
I was around 200.00 a gallon...got about a 1000.00 in paint and the Euro Clear..

AKcharger

I didn't touch car, just cleaned garage and cleaned/waxed '72. I'll wet sand Sunday and standby for more base coat later. Hey, What is the consequence of putting on 4 or 5 coats of clear?  I have 1 gallon but if the base coat is any indication I'm gonna use it fast. I expect with my "30,000 feet" spraying method to avoid runs I MAY get 3 coats tops, not sure if thats enough for wet sand and buff.

- Copy HH, I was doing that on last few sprays and it seemsed to be working
- Plainfield  we're on EXACTLY the same page...dont run you'r base coat lol! :nana:

AmadeusCharger500

Sounds like youre on your way. I put on 4 coats of clear, hood and trunk, 3 for the rest. I ran out of Clear. I think you might want another gallon.

Canadian1968

There is nothing wrong with putting on 4 coats of clear. You just make sure you allow proper flash.  You wot be baking the clear like in a booth so solvent pop shouldnt be a problem  .

Clear coat is typically not applied like base. The 30,000 ft gun distance you keep talking about is not going to go well for the clear coat. Are you going to use the same gun for clear ? 

Something really bugs me about the 40 psi your spraying that gun at.  Tell me you have a different gun for the clear ?

hemi-hampton

I think a gallon may only get you 2 coats. best to buy another. 2 coats is fine if you lightly sand & rub but any heavy duty sanding & rubbing I'd prefer 3. And 4 & 5 coats is only needed if you plan on starting out blocking the clear with 600, something I mostly only did when painting the class A show cars for Chrysler for the Auto Shows. LEON.

AKcharger

- Copy Amadeus thanks I'll get another gallon
- Canadian -- I'll be a LITTLE closer than that of course but at least I can sand/buff orange peel out. I'm VERY nervious and jerky about runs
                 -- Yeah, same gun...that was the plan  :misbehaving:
                 -- Well I did drop pressure to 35 at Regulator I think at cap 10-15?
- HH -- If the base coat is any intication I'll botch it and have to wet-sand buff but at least I do have some skills "polishing a turd"

Thanks guys appreciate you following along!!

PlainfieldCharger

Hey AK..thought I would post some pics of my work from this weekend..older camera phone(sorry for the quality)..Its not a charger though....

AKcharger

Quote from: PlainfieldCharger on November 09, 2020, 02:39:40 PM
Hey AK..thought I would post some pics of my work from this weekend..older camera phone(sorry for the quality)..Its not a charger though....

Oh now your just showing off!  :icon_smile_big:
Looks great! is that cleared too? how many coats??

PlainfieldCharger

No showing off here I was a really nervous the whole time as this in my first paint job..The weather was perfect where I could open the shop windows to help keep the shop clean/well vented..I used about 18 furnance filters on the booth fans which exhaust into the shop. Started with seal coat, wet sand with 600, wiped and wiped then tack cloth, shoot base let dry for an hour... the Tack cloth again before clear...

I used an HTE gun 3 coats color and 2 coats Euro clear...this gun has a nice 12 inch wide pattern...Black Widow from Harbor Freight 1.3  tip...

It really puts in down..

AKcharger

3 coats of color and you got that much coverage! mine went on like water!!!

Well done! if you want to visit florida I have a job for you!

PlainfieldCharger

I used about 1 5/8 gallons (mixed) just for the exterior and just a little more than that on the engine bay, floor, trunk and gutter rail area of the convertible. If I had a roof I would have been short on paint...after going there a 2nd time for another quart to mix in before I started the exterior...I really think the (HTE)gun made the difference..lots of reviews and video showing how to set it up...I will be going over the work next weekend as I know of at least one run in the clear and still have to paint and my fender bolts. Should have done that first but that is a small job, the weather was perfect for this weekend to paint the exterior so that is the way I went..

1970Moparmann

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

AKcharger

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on November 16, 2020, 12:50:58 PM
AKCharger - any update? :popcrn:

Thanks for asking Sir..nope work and weather put it on hold.  working on "rainy day" projects while I wait

1970Moparmann

Thanks for asking Sir..nope work and weather put it on hold.  working on "rainy day" projects while I wait

[/quote]

:2thumbs: :2thumbs:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

AmadeusCharger500

I had to put mine on hold also. I'm thinking hiatus until warm up in spring. Keep us updated if you choose to start again.

AKcharger

3rd time is a charm!  had a PERFECT day to shoot...cloudy, 50% humidity and about 78°  good coverage, no runs and all went well. I was hoping to get clear on but ran out of time plus I want to make sure there's not defects...I still have some  base left so why not! if all goes well tomorrow for clear

hemi-hampton

Good luck, hopefully you get it cleared tomorrow, if not you'll have to worry about Window Time. LEON.

PlainfieldCharger

Looking good... :2thumbs:
Watch that recoat window like Hemi said....you don't want the clear peeling off later...

AmadeusCharger500

AKcharger

Well today was productive, plainfield scared me with the thought of my clear peeling off so I scuffed the car and shot another color coat just to be sure. The clear coat is 3 steps forwad and 1 step back, I have some runs. Seems I paint only in one of two ways: Orange peel or runs. The first few coats were light  (orange peel) after it was nice and sticky I laid it on a bit heavier and it was looking NICE! then move to the other side to do the same thing. after 10 mins come back to 1st side and...runs!  I'm not freaking out though as I'm well trained in clear coat run repair and I really liked what I saw under the clear, the base coat is solid. So tomorrow do the razorblade scrape trick and wet sand for more clear Saturday...I have almost a gallon and a 1/2 left!

AmadeusCharger500

I wouldnt worry too much about a run here or there. Just be patient like you said get it the next day. How many coats do you plan? btw that is going to Look Amazing!

AKcharger

Thanks for the kind words Sir!  Well I'm estimating I have about 1.8 Gallons of clear and hardener, so probebly 10 light coats. I figure I'ld rather orange peel then next round or clear as wet sanding is easier than fixing runs

nvrbdn

Nice work!! A fun learning process. I will be interested in what the price will total on the fill primer paint and clear. I have painted a couple cars in the past, but not lately and will be doing one this spring.  :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

AKcharger

I'm just shy of $2K for everything: Epoxy, fill and seal primer and paint and clear plus misc supplies. In hind sight I didn't really need the epoxy primer and 'm confident it would be about $600 less if I didn't have to redo everything

hemi-hampton