News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hey experts can you (update) follow my paint plan so I don't mess up

Started by AKcharger, October 16, 2020, 02:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

PlainfieldCharger

You will be able to fix that ;) you will be sanding it down anyway...Did you reduce the clear? I did not...

hemi-hampton

Quote from: AKcharger on November 27, 2020, 10:06:30 AM
PPG high Solids European Clear

Can you post a Picture of the can, Not sure if I sprayed that before or not but I know I've sprayed lots of PPG High solids clear before. High Solids clears can be a little harder to spray then non High Solids clears in my opinion. LEON.

hemi-hampton

Quote from: PlainfieldCharger on November 27, 2020, 10:35:22 AM
You will be able to fix that ;) you will be sanding it down anyway...Did you reduce the clear? I did not...

Most Clears get reduced, if he didn't reduce then it might be easier to spray if he does reduce if that's a option with that particular Clear. LEON.

PlainfieldCharger

Here is the product code I used for the exterior. Shopline European Clearcoat JC6700/ Activator JH6710   I Could not find a recommended product or ratio
I used Eastwood Euro Clear for the front wheel wheels and trunk, floorpan area...2:1   this product says it is ok to reduce..after spraying this product it did build up some on the spray gun tip...

AKcharger

Here ya'  go HH, its a 2:1 reduction. Im sure its not the materials fault, its the user.  It's a bummer i have to make more work for myself but at least I know what I'm doing from here out. Runs gone and moving on, hope to get last clear coats on soon

hemi-hampton

I've sprayed lots of shop line clear but don't think I've sprayed that. In the directions is there a option to thin it 10%? If not I'd try thinning 10% anyways. I'm sure it will help & you'll notice it sprays better. LEON.

PlainfieldCharger

When I sprayed the clear in my other Harbor Freight gun that spray the primers with worked fine..I switched to the smaller tip and started spraying the inside of the car. I could not get the clear not orange peel. I knew I had to get something different as it seemed unable to atomize the clear small enough. I researched new spray guns and settled on the Black Widow gun. Price was right too with the coupon. The film of paint/clear I put down with this BW gun had no comparison. It sprayed better than my detail spray gun too...

hemi-hampton

AKcharger

Hi guys first thanks for following/helping! don;t think I said thanks yet.  Well made good progress today, wet sanded and shot on another 4 coats of clear. I actually used only my original gallon with about a pint in reserve for touch ups. It's all orange peeled but I'll take it. I recleared the door jambs and suprisingly they came out perfect with no runs or Orange peel. I'll keep ya posted with sanding

- HH the product sheet doesn't say anything about thining plus I didn't know what to thin it with, so shot it 2:1
- Sheet recommends 1.3 -1.6 needle, I used a 1.4
- Next job (if there ever is one) I'm going to buy a new gun

hemi-hampton

Hopefully with another 4 coats that will give you enough to sand all that orange peel out.  :scratchchin: Good Luck. LEON.

AKcharger

I did a "confidence panel" today just to make sure my wetsand/buff plan is valid. All good, but still about 5x time more work than If I knew what I was doing lol. Anyway I still have some "Pinheads" left. Im sure there's a proper name for the  bottom of the orange peel, but in bottom photo you can seem them. Question is should I buff those or go back to 1000grit to remove them?

as always thanks for following!

hemi-hampton

the first pic don't look too bad, the 2 nd pic I can see those bad spots from orange peel left behind & 3rd pic looks terrible. I'd re sand & re rub to get rid of all that as long as you think you got enough clear on it. Good Luck. LEON.

AKcharger

Quote from: hemi-hampton on November 30, 2020, 11:36:17 PM
the first pic don't look too bad, the 2 nd pic I can see those bad spots from orange peel left behind & 3rd pic looks terrible. I'd re sand & re rub to get rid of all that as long as you think you got enough clear on it. Good Luck. LEON.

It's on pretty thick so I'll keep at it and on next panels make sure I get it all out. 1st panel I intentionally left some spots hoping the 1500/2000/2500 would take them out.

PlainfieldCharger

You  have a bunch of sanding but just keep thinking how good it will look in the spring. Set small goals for yourself(like one panel a week)..you will be done before you know it... :2thumbs:

AKcharger

Canadian1968

Well glad to see its all cleared.   The orange peel is pretty heavy , but nothing you shouldn't be able to wet sand out.  It's jst going to take some time..... a lot of time lol.

hemi-hampton

AKcharger

Quote from: hemi-hampton on December 07, 2020, 07:45:58 PM
Been a Week, any Progress or updates :scratchchin: :shruggy:

Thanks for taking an intrest HH, yup well I've been hitting it HARD! I did the whole PAX side and evern swaped out to nice wheels to give myself a subliminal sense of accomplishement! It looked nice and I was happy... but when I REALLY looked at it I could still make out some sand scratches and "pinheads". I spent about a good 10 minutes trying to convince myself it was fine but thought..."Screw it" so I brought the whole car back to 600 grit and I'm going to reclear. It will be on hold for a bit work is coming up.  :brickwall:

Is that snow on the car??  No...excess/removed clear

PlainfieldCharger

I sprayed the hood inserts and side scoops. It was hard to keep the shop warm enough...it got to 65F...so I decided to go ahead and reduce the shopline clear 5%...with a medium reducer...

hemi-hampton

Quote from: PlainfieldCharger on December 08, 2020, 08:02:17 AM
I sprayed the hood inserts and side scoops. It was hard to keep the shop warm enough...it got to 65F...so I decided to go ahead and reduce the shopline clear 5%...with a medium reducer...

If that was the high solids clear did you notice the 5% seem to help or No? :scratchchin: :shruggy:  LEON.

PlainfieldCharger

I say it helped quite a bit. Other than a dust spec here and there. There was almost no orange peel..Put down a tack coat...waited 15 mins, sprayed clear only enough to build a smooth film...let that set for 30 mins, sprayed another coat the same way. It seemed much easier to get a smooth film ...

AKcharger

Great job Plainfield! I was temped to reduce clear but the information sheet didn't show that as an option...perhaps next time  ::)

I did finish my wheels today, repainted wheels, and caps. Replaced the cap centers and the real PITA was turning the "Brushed" stainless trim ring from road wheels into the "Chrome" type rings for rallye wheels. Believe it or not, still shooting to have it done by new years  :rofl:

AmadeusCharger500

Your arms must be aching!
You are so persistent..
and That is what it takes! I cant tell you how many times I was gut punched by my project. I have still not fixed my roof scratches but I simply cant do anything until spring weather.

Is that snow on the car??  No...excess/removed clear
[/quote]

hemi-hampton

Quote from: PlainfieldCharger on December 08, 2020, 06:11:09 PM
I say it helped quite a bit. Other than a dust spec here and there. There was almost no orange peel..Put down a tack coat...waited 15 mins, sprayed clear only enough to build a smooth film...let that set for 30 mins, sprayed another coat the same way. It seemed much easier to get a smooth film ...

That's why I suggested thinning upto 10% earlier. As Fred Dryer Hunter would always say, "Works for Me" :scratchchin: :Twocents: