News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Was there ever a prototype cold air Charger hood?

Started by INTMD8, October 27, 2020, 08:19:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

INTMD8

With how many other B bodies had some type of a factory cold air hood option, was there any factory/prototype considerations for something like this on a Charger or no?

69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

Mike DC

I've never heard of one existing.

The factory may never have considered it.  The Charger was more of a "gentleman's hot rod" when it was new.  Road Runners & Super Bees were aimed at different buyers.  The Charger was being compared to Pontiacs & Mercurys more than Chevys & Fords. 

cdr

Quote from: INTMD8 on October 27, 2020, 08:19:30 AM
With how many other B bodies had some type of a factory cold air hood option, was there any factory/prototype considerations for something like this on a Charger or no?

I have the prototype LOL :)
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Hemidoug

71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

70 sublime

I have seen pictures around where a guy had mounted two air grabbers , one on each side of the hood in the lowered down section on a second gen Charger
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Drache

Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Drache

Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

RallyeMike

Apparently 71 and 72 Charger's with N96 don't count  :shruggy:
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

odcics2

Yes.  :2thumbs:

I've owned it since 2002. Chrysler engineer Bill Wright sent it to me from Alabama.

Read the entire story here:  http://www.superbirdclub.com/protohood.html
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Hemidoug

Quote from: RallyeMike on October 27, 2020, 01:33:10 PM
Apparently 71 and 72 Charger's with N96 don't count  :shruggy:

They aren't REAL Chargers..../s
lol....
71 R/T 440 6pak, 4spd Mr Norms GSD

6bblgt

the idea must have received some traction beyond the one-off hood above .....

from the spring 1970 "WHAT'S NEW" Dodge brochure  :coolgleamA:  a fiberglass "fresh air" hood for the 1970 Charger

odd that the footnote states "coming soon" for 383 4-barrel & 440 4-barrel  :scratchchin:  hood/air cleaner design must have excluded the oval air cleaner / multiple carb'd engines  :shruggy:

odcics2

Quote from: 6bblgt on October 27, 2020, 11:09:27 PM
the idea must have received some traction beyond the one-off hood above .....

from the spring 1970 "WHAT'S NEW" Dodge brochure  :coolgleamA:  a fiberglass "fresh air" hood for the 1970 Charger

odd that the footnote states "coming soon" for 383 4-barrel & 440 4-barrel  :scratchchin:  hood/air cleaner design must have excluded the oval air cleaner / multiple carb'd engines  :shruggy:

Great find!  The NACA scoop would have been molded in. 
I'll see if I can get a few pics posted of the hood as it sits today. 

INTMD8

Quote from: odcics2 on October 27, 2020, 02:12:47 PM

Yes.  :2thumbs:

I've owned it since 2002. Chrysler engineer Bill Wright sent it to me from Alabama.

Read the entire story here:  http://www.superbirdclub.com/protohood.html

Awesome info, thanks guys! 

AKcharger

odcics2

Charger_Fan

Quote from: odcics2 on October 28, 2020, 10:26:48 AM
Underside.   As you can see, it's packed away...
Looks like maybe a pop-up version of Ford's NACA fresh air hoods of the era? Any pics of the top side?

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Charger_Fan

The answer...no.  :'(
But how about this? (Borrowed from the Challenger)

Or? (Borrowed from a '70 Superbee)

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

odcics2

Quote from: Charger_Fan on November 02, 2020, 03:09:55 AM
Underside.   As you can see, it's packed away...
Looks like maybe a pop-up version of Ford's NACA fresh air hoods of the era? Any pics of the top side?

See the link on reply #8.  Top side shown.   :coolgleamA:

TexasStroker

Very cool...never knew there was an NACA tried on a 2nd Gen. 

I guess the Viper brought it full circle and into production about 30 years later.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

Charger_Fan

Quote from: odcics2 on November 02, 2020, 06:19:33 AM
Quote from: Charger_Fan on November 02, 2020, 03:09:55 AM
Underside.   As you can see, it's packed away...

See the link on reply #8.  Top side shown.   :coolgleamA:
Sorry, I missed that link on the first pass.  :ahum: That's a cool hood!

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Hemidoug on October 27, 2020, 02:15:33 PM
Quote from: RallyeMike on October 27, 2020, 01:33:10 PM
Apparently 71 and 72 Charger's with N96 don't count  :shruggy:

They aren't REAL Chargers..../s
lol....

Better looking than the 73/74 grandma chargers  :nana:

odcics2

Petty liked the "grandma" Chargers!    :lol:
Got him 36 wins. 

cdr

Quote from: TexasStroker on November 02, 2020, 10:47:45 AM
Very cool...never knew there was an NACA tried on a 2nd Gen. 

I guess the Viper brought it full circle and into production about 30 years later.

AAR Cuda
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

INTMD8

Have to say, as neat as this stuff is, none of it is low key enough to fit the style of my car, (stock ish appearing).  I'm tempted to duct it to the firewall but will probably run it and monitor intake air temps first to assess how much of a potential gain there would be.

odcics2