News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Look at this scoop

Started by Paul G, December 02, 2020, 09:54:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul G

Opinions please?

1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

Lennard

Scoop? Looks like an airfilter housing with an air duct.

Paul G

It is an air cleaner that will sit above the hood. I was looking at Hilborn style carb scoops when I saw this.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.

Kern Dog

Terrible idea. Every hood scoop put on a 68-70 Charger detracts from the excellent stock design.
I understand the need when running a tall intake but they just don't improve on the factory design. They are an ugly necessity for some people though.

metallicareload99

General Lee, it seems hard to get cold air in these cars
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

Fitz73Chrgr

Quote from: Kern Dog on December 03, 2020, 12:53:33 AM
Terrible idea. Every hood scoop put on a 68-70 Charger detracts from the excellent stock design.
I understand the need when running a tall intake but they just don't improve on the factory design. They are an ugly necessity for some people though.

Looks like he drives 3rd gens.

Still, don't cut a hole in your hood.  Doesn't look good.
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

Paul G

The hood wont close on the 73 Rallye with the 505. It has a mid rise intake with a 1" spacer. I am not going to cut a power bulge hood, that one will hang on the wall. I bought a cheap flat hood to cut for the air cleaner. It is that or no hood. I have been driving it with no hood, that is not bad either.

timmycharger

Thanks for YOUR opinion, l love how you write it as fact... Others would disagree. To each their own I guess  :Twocents:

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Paul G on December 03, 2020, 09:04:47 AM
The hood wont close on the 73 Rallye with the 505. It has a mid rise intake with a 1" spacer.

Well, you asked for an opinion, I would put a bulge in the hood before having that abortion sticking out of the hood.  :down:
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Paul G

Quote from: John_Kunkel on December 03, 2020, 12:19:02 PM
The hood wont close on the 73 Rallye with the 505. It has a mid rise intake with a 1" spacer.

Well, you asked for an opinion, I would put a bulge in the hood before having that abortion sticking out of the hood.  :down:

It has a bulge hood, and it wont close. Another option is a Hilborn style scoop.

RallyeMike

I think that would look interesting and different for a rat car. You can start there, and then go to hood scoop if you don't like it I guess. Nothing looks worse to me than the Hilborn style on a single four barrel.

I put a Challenger TA scoop on my 73 for the clearance needed. I think it fits the lines if the car and even fits perfectly to the curvature and ridge on the flat-style hood.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Kern Dog

Quote from: timmycharger on December 03, 2020, 09:07:33 AM

Thanks for YOUR opinion, l love how you write it as fact... Others would disagree. To each their own I guess  :Twocents:
The "Others" would be wrong. A scoop on a hood with this scallop design is a step backwards.
The picture that you listed of Dick Landy is obviously a race car where function takes importance over appearances.

XH29N0G

and somehow, he steers it. 
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

BSB67

The hood wont close on the 73 Rallye with the 505. It has a mid rise intake with a 1" spacer. I am not going to cut a power bulge hood, that one will hang on the wall. I bought a cheap flat hood to cut for the air cleaner. It is that or no hood. I have been driving it with no hood, that is not bad either.

I dont know how the engine to hood clearance might be different in a 73 compared to a 66 through 70 b-body, but in those years you can make a 650 HP 500 inch motor with an intake system that will fit under a flat hood.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Paul G

My 72 Charger, 360 engine, RPM air gap intake with a holley carb needed a drop base air cleaner and 1 3/4" tall filter to close the flat hood.
The 73 Charger B engine has the RPM air gap intake 1" spacer under the throttle body. It has a flat air cleaner base and 3" filter. The filter lid sits way above the fenders. I want to keep it there pulling air from above the hood.

cdr

I dont need a stinkin hood LOL
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

BSB67

Quote from: Paul G on December 03, 2020, 08:47:39 PM
My 72 Charger, 360 engine, RPM air gap intake with a holley carb needed a drop base air cleaner and 1 3/4" tall filter to close the flat hood.
The 73 Charger B engine has the RPM air gap intake 1" spacer under the throttle body. It has a flat air cleaner base and 3" filter. The filter lid sits way above the fenders. I want to keep it there pulling air from above the hood.

Can't argue with a guy that knows what he wants.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

John_Kunkel

A pic of your setup might suggest more options.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.