News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Proforged fast ratio pitman offsets drag link

Started by 375instroke, October 31, 2020, 12:39:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

375instroke

Installed a Proforged pitman and idler arms, and the drag link looks like it's shifted at least an inch from center.  There's no master spline, so you install for best fit, I guess.  With steering wheel straight, master straight up on the box, judging by where the inner tie rods sit in relation to the torsion bars, there's about a one inch difference.  Pulling the pitman and moving it one spline over moves the tie rods exactly opposite of what they were before.  Just eyeballing the spindles, I need to make one tie rod half an inch longer than the other to get the tires straight.  Is this offset normal from the factory, or using regular parts like Moog, and I only noticed because I had to index the pitman myself?  Anyone think this would affect handling, or be a problem in any way?

Dano 1

I too just installed all new steering parts with Proforged's fast ratio pitman/idler arms. I struggled with the same thing you're describing, without a master spline it's up to you to get things centered and mine always seemed to be one spline off. My tierods did end up being slightly different lengths but as long as you have enough threads inside the adjuster it should be fine. Once everything is aligned the only potential issue I see is a different number of turns lock-to-lock from left to right but I haven't noticed any real issues driving etc.
1969 Charger 383 2bbl, R4 red, White hat special project

Check out my website for 3D printed restoration parts and accessories.
www.nextgendesignsnc.com

375instroke

Steering wheel and steering box straight up, everything shifted right.  Move the pitman over one spline shifts everything left of center the same amount.  I don't have a small sector shaft pitman, so I guess I'll try this for now.  I'm just concerned about my bump steer.  If the quick ratio feels good to me, I'll measure it and try to correct it, but this has been in my driveway too long.

Driver's side inner tie rod shifted 1.25" right of the LCA pivot.

Looking straight back, steering box sector shaft in relationship to the pitman arm ball socket.

Passenger side shifted over .25" right.