News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Torque thrust 2, D, TTO

Started by G-man, November 18, 2020, 07:00:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G-man

Hey guys,

Might of been discussed before, it has been a while but I been looking around at torque thrust D and torque thrust 2 online with not much real luck in knowing what the difference is. I searched google, didn't find anything that compared them side by side.

Torque thrust "originals" (TTO) have the straight spokes - that is an obvious difference compare to the other 2.

But when I see people here with torque thrust 2's (such as whats his name purple 1969 charger... brock samson?) and then other cars/wheels called torque thrust D, they are both curved spokes. The D hasn't got the centre spokes chromed, the 2s do... however you can get the D spokes chromed.

So how exactly are the D different to the 2s? Anyone got a side by side comparison of the wheels in person or anything?

Also would anyone have a 2nd gen charger with the straight spoke TTO's ?

Thanks

RiverRaider

I have found a lot of changes through the years on 200's wheels and would expect the same for TorQ Thrusts.  I believe the TorQ Thrust D has a larger diameter flange for the lugs than the II's the five spaces for the spokes are smaller on the D's.  Over the years the spokes changed they started out straighter and got rounded when the D's came out, but the 90's D's are a little different than the early D's and the early TorQ Thrusts pre D are what the new TTO's modeled after.  Current D's don't quite match the earlier offerings.  The vintage Magnesium ones had an even larger flange than the Aluminum wheels.  Here are a couple pages to check out.  Be careful buying used wheels to make sure they are exactly the same I have found many sets of 4 200's to contain different version wheels.  The last set of Torq Trust wheels I had most of the center cap screws were stuck so I drilled out the broken screws and tapped and installed studs and held the center caps on with chrome crown cap nuts.   
https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2018/10/04/the-muscle-staple-american-racing-wheels
https://www.americanracing.com/wheels/torq-thrust/
My first Charger was a Stock Car.

66FBCharger

'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

HPP

Some don't know and many have forgotten that back when these cars were new and nearly everything had drum brakes, the backs of many custom wheels tended to be much flatter.  The original Torque Thrusts were one of the first custom, aluminum, street wheels to come out in the early 60s. As more disc brakes came into the market, it was observed that some of the wheels that guys loved did not fit on disc brake cars because of the width of the calipers. This led to American Racing, in addition to numerous other companies, coming out with "D" spec wheels that had revised spoke location or curvature to fit on disc brake equiped cars. Production of these versions of Torque Thrust continued until the late 70s when they were discontinued for a time during various reorganizations of American Racing and their product lines.

The Torque Thrust 2 was a re-release of the D design,  in the later 80s after having been discontinued. The various names, configurations, polish, and rim sizes are all marketing variations to appeal to a wider range of buyers.

The TTO or Torque-Thrust Original was a copy of the original, non-D design that was re-released in 2004. However, in order to fit disc brake cars, there are some revisions to the physical layout of the wheels and spokes to provide the clearance needed. Hub and mounting designs are also revised from original so these really aren't an exact copy of the originals, but they are closer to that design than the 2s or Ds.

A good read about vintage Torque Thrusts and other classic wheels can be found here:http://www.roadsters.com/wheels/

G-man

Thanks.

I had a look at the american racing site. No wonder im confused.

VN-105 Torque Thrust D - Grey Machined lip.
VN-105 Torque Thrust D - Satin Black Machined lip.
VN-605 Torque Thrust D - Chrome

If you look at all 3 pictures, the Satin black looks like the chrome, yet its part number is same as grey one. The grey one looks like it has the thickest (widest) spokes, the chrome one seems to have the slimmest spokes...

Is this because the pictures they used are of different size rims and not all are the 15" rim or do all 3 actually look different in the thickness of the spoke etc?

Those Chrome Torque Thrust D (VN-605) look more like Brock Samson's charger wheels but he said his ones are torque thrust 2.

I like the 605 look more than the 105, but isnt the 605 just a chromed version of the 105, do those numbers mean different paint finishes or are the 605s actually different to the 105?

I am not so much interested in 'original' wheels made back when, I am more meaning the shape of the current wheels named 'Originals" or 2s or D's (new stuff).

Im leaning towards the 605's or straight spokes. Anyone with a charger with one or the other? Would be nice to see.

72TopperX

blakemon

Old thread I know, but I'm curious if anyone has Torq Thrust's on their Charger. Would love to see some pics. I'm planning to buy a set from 4wheelonline.

b5blue

These were about 400 bucks with lug nuts off ebay a few years ago. (15x8 rims.)

funknut

These are Torq Thrust D 18"

funknut

Here's a side by side pic of 295/45/18 and 275/60/15 if you're curious.