News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Advise needed on 69 Charger rear body panel assembly

Started by mopar4don, November 20, 2020, 04:36:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopar4don

I am working on assembling the rear end body panels of a 1969 Charger and I need advise on how to proceed.

Here is a list of the metal I am working with:

donor metal or original metal:
inner rockers (welded in)
rear frame rails (welded in)
front floor pan (welded in)
rear seat pan (welded in)
both foot well pans (welded in)
roof skin
wheel tubs (welded in)
trunk gutters
trunk lid
tail panel

NEW METAL:
outer rockers (welded in)
trunk pan (welded in)
trunk pan extensions
rear cross member (welded in)
full quarter panels
deck filler panel
rear valance
rear valance corners

I have attached all the body panels with screws or clamps.
I have the doors, fenders, trunk lid, and roof on and everything is in the ball park as far as gaps. The only thing I would like to get better is the deck lid gaps.

The drivers side gap is close, but the pass side is touching.
The gap from deck lid to filler panel is a bit much.

I know I have a lot going on here but would really like some advice on how to get the panels
aligned before welding them in.

Has anyone done this?

cdr

The gap between the dutchman & trunk line is VERY wide on mine & most every one I have looked at. if you need pictures let me know, yes mine is a 68 but the same
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

hemi-hampton

Out of all those pictures, you don't really show trunk gap. is trunk original? think i read like 100 pages ago it was? LEON.

AKcharger

That my qualify as a 2020 Charger with all that new metal!

hemi-hampton

Quote from: AKcharger on November 21, 2020, 08:13:17 AM

It won't be done for at least another 5 years so maybe qualify as a 2025 Charger. :shruggy:

orange383

mopar4don

Quote from: cdr on November 20, 2020, 05:01:14 PM
The gap between the dutchman & trunk line is VERY wide on mine & most every one I have looked at. if you need pictures let me know, yes mine is a 68 but the same
Thanks Charlie but I think I have it figured out

Quote from: hemi-hampton on November 20, 2020, 08:41:33 PM
Out of all those pictures, you don't really show trunk gap. is trunk original? think i read like 100 pages ago it was? LEON.
Yes HH, the trunk lid is an original

Quote from: hemi-hampton on November 21, 2020, 12:31:41 PM

It won't be done for at least another 5 years so maybe qualify as a 2025 Charger. :shruggy:

I'm shooting for 2030  :icon_smile_big:

Quote from: orange383 on November 21, 2020, 06:12:10 PM
Is this any help?
https://youtu.be/SINe8IIFTLM
About 19 minutes in to the video.
thanks orange383 Chris's videos do help a lot!

mopar4don

So I found my problem!
Looks like my deck filler panel is not wide enough! about a 1/4 when I compare old panel to new
Apparently I have an earlier version from AMD. From what I understand they have corrected this but who knows.  :RantExplode:  :RantExplode:

Thanks to SGTPaul over on FBBO. He had this same problem, and he fixed it by welding material to both sides. (about 1/8 per side)
Here is his picture

So I will be making some shims and testing this

mopar4don

Can I get dimensions to weld in the jack brackets? Probably will be easier to do this before the quarter is welded on

ALSO does anyone have suggestions on where or how to position the the deck lid filler panel supports? This is the support that is welded to the inner wheel house and deck filler.

hemi-hampton

That's the good thing about Chris's Video's, When he's working on a Charger he usually has 4 or 5 more sitting near by to take measurement's off of which definately helps & most other's don't have that option. LEON.

mopar4don

Quote from: hemi-hampton on December 04, 2020, 09:39:54 PM
That's the good thing about Chris's Video's, When he's working on a Charger he usually has 4 or 5 more sitting near by to take measurement's off of which definately helps & most other's don't have that option. LEON.
That is defiantly advantage. I took a lot of pics when I tore it down, but you never get everything you need

mopar4don

Quote from: mopar4don on December 04, 2020, 01:27:54 PM
Can I get dimensions to weld in the jack brackets? Probably will be easier to do this before the quarter is welded on

ALSO does anyone have suggestions on where or how to position the the deck lid filler panel supports? This is the support that is welded to the inner wheel house and deck filler.

If anyone could get me dimensions I would REALLY appreciate it!  :2thumbs:

cdr

Quote from: mopar4don on December 05, 2020, 10:29:48 AM
Quote from: mopar4don on December 04, 2020, 01:27:54 PM

If anyone could get me dimensions I would REALLY appreciate it!  :2thumbs:

Don I wish I could help, we have some work getting done on the house & my car is in a friends garage, IF I go see my car tomorrow I will post what you need. 
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

mopar4don

Thanks Charlie, don't knock yourself out. Only if it is convenient.

mopar4don

SO I have been working the back panels together and thought I would give an update.

After discovering the deck filler panel is about 1/4 short (left to right) (Thanks SGTPaul!)
I made up some shims out of 16 gauge (.06) that I will double to get the approx 1/8 per side that my deck filler panel is off.

The plan is to put it all back together with the shims and hopefully that will help the gaps along the side of the trunk lid. If that proves out then I will weld those shims to the sides of the deck filler panel.

To make a really long story shorter, I got everything back together and found that shimming the sides of the deck filler panel out seemed to help the gaps at the top half of the trunk lid, But just like before, the gap on the passenger side at the back of the car, right at the quarter extension, is tight while the driver side is a bit much.

At this point I am not sure what I will do, any ideas?
Would adding a washer on the hinge stud shift it over?

mopar4don

So I added a washer on the passenger side hinge stud and that seemed to help.
I now have approx 1/8 gaps on both sides.
I want to increase this to 3/16 but not sure how to spread the quarters out?

I don't really want to slice the both quarters to get the gaps right.
I may have to start over and reassemble?
Any thoughts?

mopar4don

Still looking for thoughts on why a washer at the hinge fixes my gap problem.
I can spread the quarters out a bit BUT I really dont want to leave that washer up there

orange383

Quote from: mopar4don on February 24, 2021, 03:38:30 PM
I can spread the quarters out a bit BUT I really dont want to leave that washer up there

I'm at this stage now. I'm not sure I fully understand what is going on with your car but with mine I achieved a decent gap between the quarters and the trunk lid by pulling the very back of each quarter outwards and then clamping to the tail panel before screwing in place.

Chris covers this in one of his videos where he is setting the correct width for the quarter end caps. 1 & 3/4 inches I believe. This in turn gives the correct gap between the trunk lid and quarter.

Sorry if I gave misunderstood your issue!

Matt.

mopar4don

Quote from: orange383 on February 24, 2021, 05:40:07 PM

I'm at this stage now. I'm not sure I fully understand what is going on with your car but with mine I achieved a decent gap between the quarters and the trunk lid by pulling the very back of each quarter outwards and then clamping to the tail panel before screwing in place.

Chris covers this in one of his videos where he is setting the correct width for the quarter end caps. 1 & 3/4 inches I believe. This in turn gives the correct gap between the trunk lid and quarter.

Matt.
Hi Matt,
I used Chris's measurements from his videos. And they were a HUGE help!
The quarters should be 69-5/8 across the back (measuring the widest point) and 29 5/8 measuring in the trunk gutter from deck filler panel to edge of quarter, (this sets the deck filler in position) which is what I have.
Also the quarter end caps measurement (1-3/4) are tied to the 69-5/8 width.

These measurements get me close with my deck lid gaps. But I may have to widen the quarters to say 69 3/4 to give me a bit more gap on the sides. And if I move the quarters out a bit then the quarter end caps measurement (1-3/4) would change slightly.

Keep in mind all of the measurements from Chris's video are from checking a factory car.
But my car is not factory sheet metal and I will have to tweak it here and there to get proper gaps.

But what really bugs me is I have to put a washer up in the trunk hinge to get it to shift over.
Maybe I need to bend that one hinge (that bolts to the deck lid) in the opposite direction I want the deck lid to go?
Maybe that would push it the way I want it to go?

Thoughts

orange383

Chris has been a huge help to me as well Dom with those videos
My Charger is all new sheet metal at the back also and I should be ready to fully weld the quarters on within the next few days so maybe I can post some photos of mine with measurements for comparison? Maybe we can spot any differences and figure it out?

mopar4don

Quote from: orange383 on February 25, 2021, 11:25:12 AM
My Charger is all new sheet metal at the back also and I should be ready to fully weld the quarters on within the next few days so maybe I can post some photos of mine with measurements for comparison? Maybe we can spot any differences and figure it out?

Sounds good to me! I wont be welding anything until I get some things worked out.
I wish I knew someone local to me who could give me advise. It's just really frustrating not knowing what I can get away with :brickwall: :brickwall:

orange383

Quote from: mopar4don on February 25, 2021, 01:30:55 PM
Quote from: orange383 on February 25, 2021, 11:25:12 AM

Sounds good to me! I wont be welding anything until I get some things worked out.
I wish I knew someone local to me who could give me advise. It's just really frustrating not knowing what I can get away with :brickwall: :brickwall:

Ok, I'll report back in a few days if all goes to plan!

mopar4don

Quote from: mopar4don on February 25, 2021, 09:52:58 AM
Quote from: orange383 on February 24, 2021, 05:40:07 PM

Matt.
Hi Matt,
I used Chris's measurements from his videos. And they were a HUGE help!
The quarters should be 69-5/8 across the back (measuring the widest point) and 29 5/8 measuring in the trunk gutter from deck filler panel to edge of quarter, (this sets the deck filler in position) which is what I have.
Also the quarter end caps measurement (1-3/4) are tied to the 69-5/8 width.

These measurements get me close with my deck lid gaps. But I may have to widen the quarters to say 69 3/4 to give me a bit more gap on the sides. And if I move the quarters out a bit then the quarter end caps measurement (1-3/4) would change slightly.

Keep in mind all of the measurements from Chris's video are from checking a factory car.
But my car is not factory sheet metal and I will have to tweak it here and there to get proper gaps.

But what really bugs me is I have to put a washer up in the trunk hinge to get it to shift over.
Maybe I need to bend that one hinge (that bolts to the deck lid) in the opposite direction I want the deck lid to go?
Maybe that would push it the way I want it to go?

Thoughts

I am still looking for suggestions on getting rid of the washer and possibly bending the hinge arm

orange383

The panel work on my Charger is taking longer than expected Don. I'll get some pics and measurements up as soon as I can. I've had to remove the trunk hinges for rust repair amongst other issues.

Hopefully someone will come along with lots of photos and measurements from an unrestored Charger!

mopar4don

Quote from: orange383 on March 02, 2021, 08:14:55 AM
The panel work on my Charger is taking longer than expected Don. I'll get some pics and measurements up as soon as I can. I've had to remove the trunk hinges for rust repair amongst other issues.

Hopefully someone will come along with lots of photos and measurements from an unrestored Charger!

That would be nice  :D

orange383

I have all of my panels on now Don.
All of my gaps look good and I'm going to measure everything and note the measurements down tomorrow.

I do have some minor issues though.

The deck filler panel is 1/4" short along the edge that is nearest the trunk lid. The other side nearest the rear window is the same width as your original piece as shown on your other thread.
I think I will make a cut both sides up to the halfway point, open it up 1/8 per side plus the cutting wheel width and weld it back up.

The trunk lid is bolted on but I haven't installed the torsion rods. The hinges are loose on their pivots (star washers are not pushed all the way home) and the trunk lid moves over to the passenger side when opened and closed. I'm going to push the star washers on further tomorrow and see if that fixes it. I also haven't fitted the trunk latch pillar yet!

I'm hoping to start welding the panels on tomorrow. The outer wheel housings are fully welded on and the trunk extensions are welded only along the trunk pan edge. The lower deck filler plenum is welded in. Nothing else is welded yet.

Let me know if there is anything I can measure to compare to yours. I'm not sure if it will help.

Matt.

mopar4don

Quote from: orange383 on March 13, 2021, 02:18:35 PM
I have all of my panels on now Don.
All of my gaps look good and I'm going to measure everything and note the measurements down tomorrow.

I do have some minor issues though.

The deck filler panel is 1/4" short along the edge that is nearest the trunk lid. The other side nearest the rear window is the same width as your original piece as shown on your other thread.
I think I will make a cut both sides up to the halfway point, open it up 1/8 per side plus the cutting wheel width and weld it back up.

The trunk lid is bolted on but I haven't installed the torsion rods. The hinges are loose on their pivots (star washers are not pushed all the way home) and the trunk lid moves over to the passenger side when opened and closed. I'm going to push the star washers on further tomorrow and see if that fixes it. I also haven't fitted the trunk latch pillar yet!

I'm hoping to start welding the panels on tomorrow. The outer wheel housings are fully welded on and the trunk extensions are welded only along the trunk pan edge. The lower deck filler plenum is welded in. Nothing else is welded yet.

Let me know if there is anything I can measure to compare to yours. I'm not sure if it will help.

Matt.

Sorry I haven't followed up with you. It's been a bit busy.
So did pushing the star washers on help the trunk lid from moving to the pass side?
Can you get me a pic of those star washers your talking about?
I don't think I have those. Are they original to the car?

orange383

I pushed the star washer on the driver side fully home and it made no difference.
I think the washers are original but can't be sure, I'll post a pic after work tomorrow Don.

orange383

This is the star washer. I am assuming that is what it's called.

Regarding the issue of the trunk lid moving towards the passenger side, short of fitting the torsion rods and latch after everything is welded up I'm not sure what else I can do.

I may end up shimming it over with a washer like you have done. If that works than I'll take it!

mopar4don

Hey thanks for the pic of that star washer.
I looked through my box of bagged and tagged items and found those star washers.
I had forgot all about them!