News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Advise needed on 69 Charger rear body panel assembly

Started by mopar4don, November 20, 2020, 04:36:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orange383

I have all of my panels on now Don.
All of my gaps look good and I'm going to measure everything and note the measurements down tomorrow.

I do have some minor issues though.

The deck filler panel is 1/4" short along the edge that is nearest the trunk lid. The other side nearest the rear window is the same width as your original piece as shown on your other thread.
I think I will make a cut both sides up to the halfway point, open it up 1/8 per side plus the cutting wheel width and weld it back up.

The trunk lid is bolted on but I haven't installed the torsion rods. The hinges are loose on their pivots (star washers are not pushed all the way home) and the trunk lid moves over to the passenger side when opened and closed. I'm going to push the star washers on further tomorrow and see if that fixes it. I also haven't fitted the trunk latch pillar yet!

I'm hoping to start welding the panels on tomorrow. The outer wheel housings are fully welded on and the trunk extensions are welded only along the trunk pan edge. The lower deck filler plenum is welded in. Nothing else is welded yet.

Let me know if there is anything I can measure to compare to yours. I'm not sure if it will help.

Matt.

mopar4don

Quote from: orange383 on March 13, 2021, 02:18:35 PM
I have all of my panels on now Don.
All of my gaps look good and I'm going to measure everything and note the measurements down tomorrow.

I do have some minor issues though.

The deck filler panel is 1/4" short along the edge that is nearest the trunk lid. The other side nearest the rear window is the same width as your original piece as shown on your other thread.
I think I will make a cut both sides up to the halfway point, open it up 1/8 per side plus the cutting wheel width and weld it back up.

The trunk lid is bolted on but I haven't installed the torsion rods. The hinges are loose on their pivots (star washers are not pushed all the way home) and the trunk lid moves over to the passenger side when opened and closed. I'm going to push the star washers on further tomorrow and see if that fixes it. I also haven't fitted the trunk latch pillar yet!

I'm hoping to start welding the panels on tomorrow. The outer wheel housings are fully welded on and the trunk extensions are welded only along the trunk pan edge. The lower deck filler plenum is welded in. Nothing else is welded yet.

Let me know if there is anything I can measure to compare to yours. I'm not sure if it will help.

Matt.

Sorry I haven't followed up with you. It's been a bit busy.
So did pushing the star washers on help the trunk lid from moving to the pass side?
Can you get me a pic of those star washers your talking about?
I don't think I have those. Are they original to the car?

orange383

I pushed the star washer on the driver side fully home and it made no difference.
I think the washers are original but can't be sure, I'll post a pic after work tomorrow Don.

orange383

This is the star washer. I am assuming that is what it's called.

Regarding the issue of the trunk lid moving towards the passenger side, short of fitting the torsion rods and latch after everything is welded up I'm not sure what else I can do.

I may end up shimming it over with a washer like you have done. If that works than I'll take it!

mopar4don

Hey thanks for the pic of that star washer.
I looked through my box of bagged and tagged items and found those star washers.
I had forgot all about them!