News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Your thoughts needed with this debate

Started by kevink, November 23, 2020, 10:35:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevink

My wife has asked me how rare I think my car is in today's world. It is a 1968 440 R/T Charger with all numbers matching from one end to the other four speed car. The reason the debate has come up I have someone that has offered me $90,000 for it. The car has had a full restoration with ever nut and bolt sandblasted and painted within the last year. 83,500 original miles on her. I am not excited about selling it but $90,000? Please share any and all thoughts.

Fitz73Chrgr

Beautiful car, plus a 4-speed to boot. 

My guess is fair asking price if you were looking to sell would be $75k. 

I think I would sell it at $90k.  Seems like a pretty generous offer. 

I'm sure others will have a different opinion.   :Twocents: :cheers:
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

XH29N0G

It depends on you and your wife's goals in this. 

If it is considered as an investment and the price appeals (and covers what you have in it) then consider selling. 

If not, you can decide what to do depending on what you would use the 90K for and weigh against that. 

I suspect you are asking whether that is a sell at price or not?  That I do not know, but someone else will.

For me, I see my car as something I enjoy.  My car also has a clause to be bought back by the previous owner for $1000 if I ever decide to sell.   :lol:  My dad has plenty of other cars now, so I don't think he would hold me to it, but I won't know until the time comes.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

HeavyFuel

Is it your dream car?  Did you put any of your own blood, sweat and tears into it?

If not...take the 90K and laugh all the way to the bank.

INTMD8

Would you try to replace it?  If so could you find a nicer one for less money?  If not, keep it.

If you're undecided, counter at 100 and see what happens.
69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

Daytona R/T SE

Ask the flipper how much is he going to ask for it next week  :Twocents:

RallyeMike

QuoteMy guess is fair asking price if you were looking to sell would be $75k.

I think I would sell it at $90k.  Seems like a pretty generous offer.

:iagree: That is a great selling price. So it just comes down to non-financial questions that only you can answer....e.g. how much do you love the car, are you in the market for something else, etc.

Of course, reasonable or better offers are often hollow. When it comes time to pony up, people are usually just blowing smoke.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

A383Wing

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on November 23, 2020, 01:06:15 PM
Ask the flipper how much is he going to ask for it next week  :Twocents:

That was going to be my answer in here as well.....

I'm also thinking in todays market that you would be hard pressed to either find another one to restore for that kind of money. I have seen rusted out body shells go for $15k or more.....personally, I think you would be taking a loss here, and $90k is way too low for your car.

And, I also think a week after it's gone, you are going to have sellers remorse...I know I am going to have remorse next week when one of my 4spd cars goes to it's new home across the country

Bryan

John_Kunkel

Bird in the hand. Who knows what the market will be like in a few years.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

70 sublime

Think I would look around and have a good plan in place to buy another car before I sold the first one

These two listed are in Canadian money so after the exchange rate you would make out alright with cash left over

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/mississauga-peel-region/1970-charger-rt/1531503956

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/mississauga-peel-region/1970-charger-rt-440-six-pack-v-code/1532312372

No idea on the quality compared to yours

Think I remember a little while ago you were actively looking for another Charger so you should know what prices looked like compared to what you have now
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

kevink

Replacement is gonna be nearly impossible. I haven't seen any 1968 numbers matching 440 four speed R/Ts up for sale at any price. Thanks for everyone's input.

Challenger340

My thoughts are this....
Now.... moreso than ever before in our history, 'money' as we know it.... has lost much of it's value as a 'store of wealth' into the future ?
With the shear amounts of money/stimulus/QE or whatever you want to call it that has been printed out of thin air... and a complete and utter lack of any 'interest' or "premium" for holding that money over time ?
Any so-called "money" you sell your Charger for today....
IMO.... should be considered only as good for whatever it can be used to purchase something else with on the same day as a replacement 'asset'
Because....
and again here... in my opinion only...
"Holding" on to that money over time as a "plan" is an absolute guarantee of a loss in purchasing power into the future ?

Ask yourself....
Do you really believe the DOW Index at close to 30,000 is based on REAL Values ? or Business Fundamentals ?
NOT a chance....
it's just people trying to get OUT of Cash and buy ANYTHING that may hold 'relative' value into the future  ! including YOUR Charger !
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

orange383

If you are not desperate for the money then keep it. Once that car is gone it's gone!

70 sublime

Quote from: kevink on November 23, 2020, 03:23:07 PM
Replacement is gonna be nearly impossible. I haven't seen any 1968 numbers matching 440 four speed R/Ts up for sale at any price. Thanks for everyone's input.

Maybe you need to buy this one from Chris  :yesnod:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZEVdgpVsVc&ab_channel=Junkerup%23chrisbirdsong

hemi-hampton

I think the offer is way to generous, But if you do have alot of sentimental value in it & love it & can't live with out then keep it. if not Sell it. :Twocents: :Twocents: :shruggy:

JB400

Have you got your money's worth of enjoyment out of it?

jakeallcars

Hit 'em high. Where else are you going to find a recently restored numbers matching 68 4 Speed for under 100K?

70 sublime

How did this guy with the big offer find you with your car that was not for sale ??

fastmark

It really depends on what you think the future holds. If you want another 68 Charger 4 speed car, then don't sell it. If you think the world is changing for the worse, then sell it and invest in something more stable. Cash is not it, btw. I don't think the stock market is going to keep going for long either. I'm diversified. I have cars, some cash, real estate, some gold,  ( not enough, probably), lots of lead and food. If it comes to that, cars will not be worth much. I think we're somewhere in the middle. Inflation is driving everything right now. I think that may come to an end and well have a recession. Our cars will be worth less soon.

RiverRaider

If you don't need the cash and it is not you dream car I would sell.  I don't see the economy booming in the next two years. Considering covid and the new political changes by late 2021 early 2022 90K cash in hand will have serious buying power for either cars and especially business real estate.   
My first Charger was a Stock Car.

kevink

70 Sublime, that survivor Chris has is for sale?

Mike DC

QuoteIf you don't need the cash and it is not you dream car I would sell.  I don't see the economy booming in the next two years. Considering covid and the new political changes by late 2021 early 2022 90K cash in hand will have serious buying power for either cars and especially business real estate.  

The US economy is one thing.  But the market for top-notch muscle cars is increasingly worldwide.

RallyeMike

QuoteReplacement is gonna be nearly impossible. I haven't seen any 1968 numbers matching 440 four speed R/Ts up for sale at any price. Thanks for everyone's input.

If your plan is replace it in kind you also need to factor in the cost/time of finding, fixing, upgrading, taxes, registration, etc. of a new car. $90k starts to become a net of something less - especially in my State where you have to pay 10%+/- tax every time you buy a new or even used car. It benefits one to not rotate through a lot of cars here.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

JR

70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green