News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1979 Wing Car National Meet Film

Started by Aero426, November 24, 2020, 12:02:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aero426

Old Super 8 film converted to digital and posted to You Tube.    28 minutes of fun.  Most of it was filmed at the Chrysler Proving Grounds.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG97xe8Dq2M&t=903s

Sgt Superbird

Thanks! I can never get enough of these cars.

Mopar John

Doug,
Thanks for sharing the film of the 1979 meet!
As a participant it was great to see our yellow Superbird in motion!
MJ

tan top

good video,   wonder where they all are now  :scratchchin:   love looking at these kind of back in the day videos  thanks for posting  :cheers: :2thumbs: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Aero426

Quote from: tan top on November 24, 2020, 06:53:17 PM
good video,   wonder where they all are now  :scratchchin:   love looking at these kind of back in the day videos  thanks for posting  :cheers: :2thumbs: :popcrn:

There are quite a few recognizable cars in the film.   I'd say if they made it to 1979, most of them are still around.   

AKcharger

wow about a 4-1 ratio of SB to daytonas

held1823

Quote from: AKcharger on November 25, 2020, 08:48:12 AM
wow about a 4-1 ratio of SB to daytonas

right in line with the numbers built
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

taxspeaker

Thank you for posting Doug.
White Daytona with massive hood scoop on inner lane at track-wonder what the story is and what happened to it
Bob

Mopar John

DSAC 5TH ANNUAL OWNERS MEET 1979 ANN ARBOR MICHIGAN
  I just missed the DSAC 3rd annual meet in 1977 as I had just bought my Superbirds.
So in 1978 I made the 4th annual meet with our yellow Superbird and it was great!
But in 1979 for the DSAC 5th annual meet it was almost too much to handle for a young MOPAR wing car enthusiast!
The number of wing cars alone was mind blowing!
Then add in the track time at the proving grounds, Henry Ford Museum and the MIS parade lap and stock car race! WOW!
It took some digging but I found some original stuff from the 1979 meet.
My first picture shows my original event program from the 1979 meet.
My second picture shows my NOS 1979 meet dash plaque.
My third picture shows the Chrysler Proving Grounds brochure we were given.
The last picture shows the ticket stubs for the Henry Ford Museum and the Michigan Champion Spark Plug 400 stock car race!
I sure wish we could get back to the proving grounds some how some day!
MJ

Aero426

Quote from: taxspeaker on November 25, 2020, 09:21:22 AM
White Daytona with massive hood scoop on inner lane at track-wonder what the story is and what happened to it
Bob

That was the Gilbert Bess car from North Carolina.   I have to think it is still out there.   

lngp

Quote from: Aero426 on November 25, 2020, 01:16:30 PM
Bob

That was the Gilbert Bess car from North Carolina.   I have to think it is still out there.   
yes it's still around. 440 car but had a 66 or 67 426 hemi with a tunnel ram and a pistol grip shifter.
    The car spun a bearing on the high banks of Charlotte or rockingham. I can't remember which one. The engine was never repaired as far as I know but it was painted red I believe.
   Someone  posted a picture of it on here and was trying to identify it. Car came from Michigan to North Carolina. It is in a collection with a lot of other cars. Most of them are not maintained. My have seen it in one of Tom's barnfind hunter videos.

lngp

Quote from: lngp on November 27, 2020, 01:08:42 AM
Bob

yes it's still around. 440 car but had a 66 or 67 426 hemi with a tunnel ram and a pistol grip shifter.
    The car spun a bearing on the high banks of Charlotte or rockingham. I can't remember which one. The engine was never repaired as far as I know but it was painted red I believe.
   Someone  posted a picture of it on here and was trying to identify it. Car came from Michigan to North Carolina. It is in a collection with a lot of other cars. Most of them are not maintained. My have seen it in one of Tom's barnfind hunter videos.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,94033.msg1071395.html#msg1071395

Talkiemoparjr

Quote from: lngp on November 27, 2020, 01:08:42 AM
Bob

Now I was only a 14 year old kid and I remember dad saying something about a Petty built Hemi and a 179 MPH speeding ticket!  5 year probation, no night time driving and only back-n-forth to work?

talkiemopar

Yes, Gilbert Bess liked to go FAST.    :vert: :drive:  Rick.

lngp

Quote from: talkiemopar on December 13, 2020, 10:57:44 AM
Yes, Gilbert Bess liked to go FAST.    :vert: :drive:  Rick.
Did you remember this car?

talkiemopar

Yes i remember seeing the car a long time ago and Gilbert at one of the national meets. Rick.    :cheers:

lngp

Quote from: talkiemopar on December 13, 2020, 01:43:48 PM
Yes i remember seeing the car a long time ago and Gilbert at one of the national meets. Rick.    :cheers: