News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Legislation requiring air bags in classic cars?

Started by BrugeeRT, November 25, 2020, 07:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrugeeRT

So this story is about Kevin Hart's accident but at the end mentions proposed California legislation requiring classic cars to be retrofitted with seatbelts and airbags?  Ridiculous...

https://www.motorious.com/articles/features-3/kevin-harts-plymouth-cuda-now/
Mark

A383Wing

Good luck with that....won't happen to any of my cars.....and by the time if it does happen, I won't be around to see it happen

Bryan

AKcharger

RallyeMike

They should really mandate seat belts and air bags for my motorcycle. It's much more dangerous than my old car   :P

Typical bureaucrats having no idea what they are talking about. 
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Kern Dog

Some Jeep Cherokees came with an airbag system that was fully self contained in the steering wheel. Something like that could be retrofitted or an aftermarket company could step up.
Seat belts? I'm not one to blindly follow the crowd or bow to the will of the safety zealots but I actually like seat belts. I have 3 point belts from XV Motorsports. They are great.

Mike DC

I'm more worried about coal-rolling pickups causing bans on vehicle modifications.  

It's a perfect example of why we can't have nice things.  Some people have to go out of their way to troll (the mainstream voter).  Then they act surprised when the govt yanks away public rights to make them stop. I mean, you could just put a "F**k Environmentalists" bumper sticker on the back and make the same point without handing the govt an excuse to crack down. 

John_Kunkel

Quote from: RallyeMike on November 26, 2020, 01:11:22 AM
They should really mandate seat belts and air bags for my motorcycle.

Believe it or not, a California lawmaker once introduced a bill to require seat belts on motorcycles; his fellow lawmakers took him aside and pointed out the fallacy of his idea....bill withdrawn.

Point being, those with little/no knowledge of the logistics involved make these stupid proposals.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Kern Dog

Quote from: John_Kunkel on November 26, 2020, 01:24:34 PM
Quote from: RallyeMike on November 26, 2020, 01:11:22 AM
They should really mandate seat belts and air bags for my motorcycle.

Believe it or not, a California lawmaker once introduced a bill to require seat belts on motorcycles; his fellow lawmakers took him aside and pointed out the fallacy of his idea....bill withdrawn.

Point being, those with little/no knowledge of the logistics involved make these stupid proposals.
The same mindset has crossed over to ASHA and other agencies. Safety is important but many of the regulations make the job a LOT harder with almost zero improvement in the safety margin.