News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Center Console Trim Installation

Started by twenty mike mike, December 07, 2020, 04:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twenty mike mike

I'm trying to complete my center console installation and I'm having trouble attaching the rear bezel. Looking through old posts, I came across Heavy Fuel's restoration thread that shows a couple of mysterious clips that might be the answer to my dilemma.

Can someone confirm that those clips are the way the top of the rear bezel is attached to the console? I've never seen those clips advertised by any of the many parts suppliers. Does anyone know of a source?

The lower posts of the bezel should line up with the holes in the metal extension piece, according to the parts diagram. Of course they don't, and in any case, the posts bottom out before the bezel is flush with the console. Should the tabs on the extension be farther in, or are the posts too long?

Just 6T9 CHGR

Correct .....those are the small "L"-shaped clips you need.  Probably easy to fab something up....

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

twenty mike mike

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on December 09, 2020, 05:38:10 AM
Correct .....those are the small "L"-shaped clips you need.  Probably easy to fab something up....

Thanks! Too bad the "service kit" I bought doesn't come close to providing all the hardware needed.

I forgot to ask, what does that "cup washer" in the diagram look like? Other than a cup.

The lower posts of the older bezel look the same as the new one, so the tabs on the extension piece were obviously bent in the wrong place. Yet another repop screw-up.

Armycopter

I am having the same problem and these pics help a bunch. Did you end up fabricating the clips or buying some? My other issue is that the black plastic of my console has a crack in it. I need to figure out how to reinforce it before I could consider adding clips.
1969 Charger

twenty mike mike

A machinist neighbor made a couple of 3/4" x 1/2" x 3/8" aluminum blocks to take the place of the clips. Size is not critical, as long as they are wedged forward of the ribs molded into the console. It's easier to use 8-32 allen head cap screws, since that area is tough to get to with the metal extension plate in place, even with a stubby screwdriver.

Is yours an original fiberglass console? I've seen a few posts about repairing those.

Armycopter

I ended up finding some L brackets used on screen doors that work pretty good. I also had to reinforce the plastic with some plastic JB Weld and mesh. So far so good.

Mine is plastic, I did not know that the originals were fiberglass.
1969 Charger

70 sublime

Quote from: Armycopter on March 27, 2021, 12:03:31 PM
I ended up finding some L brackets used on screen doors that work pretty good. I also had to reinforce the plastic with some plastic JB Weld and mesh. So far so good.

68 69 70 consoles are all plastic
66 and 67 consoles look the same but are fiberglass and much stiffer
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

twenty mike mike

Quote from: 70 sublime on March 27, 2021, 10:02:16 PM
Quote from: Armycopter on March 27, 2021, 12:03:31 PM

68 69 70 consoles are all plastic
66 and 67 consoles look the same but are fiberglass and much stiffer

Thanks, that explains the complaints about cracked consoles from people sitting on them, a problem I didn't have in my '66.