News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Clay bar - do you have to keep going over the area or am I doing it wrong?

Started by AKcharger, December 15, 2020, 02:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

The 72 needed attention and after hitting it with the mothers clay kit it's much better but it isn't butter smooth. So do you have to hit it like 5 or 6 times or do it once and it just gets most of the contaminanets out??

c00nhunterjoe

It all depends on how much is embedded in the paint. 5-6 times on heavy embedded dirt is not uncommon.

AKcharger

funknut

Oxidized paint will feel chalky to the touch too, or at least not as slick smooth as people think paint should feel.  Not as rough as contamination, but if you clay bar it a few times and it's not where you want it, you will need some cutting compound to get rid of the dead paint.

AKcharger

AKcharger

OK that seems to work, have to think of the clay as a "Step" not the only process I guess

TTSaleen

Quote from: AKcharger on December 15, 2020, 02:09:43 PM
The 72 needed attention and after hitting it with the mothers clay kit it's much better but it isn't butter smooth. So do you have to hit it like 5 or 6 times or do it once and it just gets most of the contaminanets out??
I know it's been a while, but next time you are going to do this, there is a better way.
I've been detailing cars for many years now and doing the clay bar by hand takes a while and the material used in most clays can introduce some contaminants if you aren't very careful which will introduce scratches into the paint or also mar the cars finish.
A safer alternative is a rubberized pad called Nanoskin.  This can be used by hand or machine and is completely reusable.
So if you drop it on the ground, you simply wash it off and reuse it, unlike actual clay that you throw away.

Here's a link to it - https://www.nanoskinusa.com/products/smooth-surface-autoscrub-kit?_pos=1&_sid=cd1c17f77&_ss=r

I use a Flex 3401 dual-action polisher with the nanoskin pad attached to it and a spray lubricant (water-less carwash works very well).
I follow that up with a corrective polish pad depending on the defects but mostly a 2500 compound cut and polish.
I typically complete the process with a ceramic coating for long life and protection.

Good luck.
Ryan
1968 Charger
1998 Twin Turbo Saleen
2003 Mach 1
2008 Pontiac G8

AKcharger

Thanks Ryan!

I'll give that a try next time!

welcome to the site BTW!