News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Kickdown

Started by JMF, December 16, 2020, 06:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMF

Just wondering how many people on here don't have a kickdown cable ?

The Charger I have just bought doesn't have one and I was considering buying the kit but thinking more of it I don't think it would bother me too much just to drop down to 2nd gear manually everytime I want some hard acceleration, in fact I kind of like the idea of controlling it manually

Any thoughts ?

Thanks

BSB67

Hmmmm.  I don't.  I don't think any did.  Most of them do have a full throttle kick-down from the factory, but it is a mechanical linkage, not a cable.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

c00nhunterjoe

Unless you have a manual valve body, you need it.

John_Kunkel

The word "kickdown" has put a lot of money in my pocket.

The linkage or cable is not only for WOT kickdown but it also adjusts the internal pressure according to the throttle input. Without linkage or cable, the pressure stays at minimum all the time and will eventually burn up the trans.

If you currently have nothing, stop driving the car and invest in linkage/cable or change to a full manual valve body.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Kern Dog

Quote from: JMF on December 16, 2020, 06:02:26 PM
Just wondering how many people on here don't have a kickdown cable ?

The Charger I have just bought doesn't have one and I was considering buying the kit but thinking more of it I don't think it would bother me too much just to drop down to 2nd gear manually everytime I want some hard acceleration, in fact I kind of like the idea of controlling it manually

Any thoughts ?

Thanks

The two kits that I know of are from either Lokar or Bouchillon. I have a kit from the latter. I bought it in 2001 when I went from a 318 to a 440 with an Edelbrock RPM intake. This was a non stock combination and with the intake being taller, it was difficult getting the mechanical stock type linkage to work. THis cable kit has been flawless in operation the entire time. If I recall, they used a factory cable for a 500 or 518 trans and made brackets to adapt it all to fit almost any combination.
As JK wrote, yeah....you need it. Calling it "kickdown" is common but not entirely correct because it does far more than just downshift the trans to the next lower gear. If you drive around at very light throttle in a light car, you may not do much damage but it still isn't a good idea to do so. Spend a few bucks. Get the kit.

JMF

Thanks for the replies , I am just missing 1 rod for the old linkage system so will go with that rather than Lokar , someone near me has this rod for sale(pics below) which he's tested on a 727 and the ends fit ok but I'm a bit confused as to why the shape/bends of it are different compared to the one "Year One" is selling ? Any ideas ? Link below , my car is a 70 Charger with a 383, thanks

https://www.yearone.com/Product/chrysler-b-body/kl383#prettyPhoto

c00nhunterjoe

"Kickdown" is a general motors term. I believe chrysler calls it throttle pressure linkage. 2 completely different functions in 2 different style transmissions

XH29N0G

And for the manual.... I just downshift and push...... :yesnod:
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Bronzedodge

What John K and Joe said.  You MUST use throttle pressure linkage on a stock valve body.  There is a good detailed explanation in Tom Hand's book on Torqeflites.

https://www.amazon.com/Chrysler-TorqueFlite-904-727-Transmissions/dp/1613253354
Mopar forever!

JMF

Thanks guys all sorted now

It's good that I asked because I would never have known it's for the pressure etc