News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

wheel alignment/positive camber problem in the bird

Started by loudmouthaussie, December 22, 2020, 02:11:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

loudmouthaussie

Have had 3 wheel alignments in last couple months and keep getting the same weird problem.

Do a hard turn and wheels take on extreme positive camber. If you put it in reverse they seem to right themselves.

Only thing I can think of its something in the steering linkages???

Ball joints and wheel bearings seem ok. Might be worth replacing though I guess.

Any input on experience with this appreciated

Merry Xmas to all  :cheers: :cheers:
1970 PLYMOUTH SUPERBIRD. 440/6BBL/BENCH/AUTO/VITAMIN C.
1979 FORD RANCHERO GT 351.
1960 AUSTIN HEALEY MK1 BUGEYE SPRITE 1275/4 SPEED.

Charger1970

I have a 78 D100 that was doing similar weird things. Turns out the center link was installed backwards. Flipped it around and drives great now.
1970 Charger 500
2015 Challenger SRT

70 sublime

Have you changed the rubber in the lower control arm joint yet ??
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

loudmouthaussie

white

Do you have aftermarket upper control arms with pre installed ball joints and bushings

loudmouthaussie

cdr

if the car has a lot of positive  CASTER, it will do that, the wheel that is turn in , [ turned to the left, the RIGHT side will lay over negative & the left will get very possitive ] but if the are both getting + camber then something is wrong. possibly to much toe in
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

cudavic

I had a front suspension noise that would occasionally occur on my 1970 Road Runner during heavy braking.
It was a sort of a big clunk sound if I were to get on the brakes heavy, I mean real heavy.

It took me a while to diagnose it, however eventually I did by accident.
My drivers side front wheel cylinder started to hang up, the car has drum's all around.
In trying to free up the brake while rocking the car back and forth, I noticed that the upper control arm bushing was starting to slip out of where it was pressed into the control arm.
Meaning that the back section of the upper control arm was actually slipping forward under the strain of heavy braking or load.
Possibly something similar to this is happening on your car.

loudmouthaussie

turns out the bushings between torsion bar and lower control arms were almost completely gone. that'll do it i guess. get car back tomorrow from a different wheel align guy  :cheers:

70 sublime

next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

cudavic

Quote from: loudmouthaussie on January 11, 2021, 12:44:50 AM
turns out the bushings between torsion bar and lower control arms were almost completely gone. that'll do it i guess. get car back tomorrow from a different wheel align guy  :cheers:

I am glad it all worked out for you.  :cheers:

RealWing

1970 Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Barracuda 340 Formula S
1969 Barracuda convertible  6.1 L Hemi
2015 BMW K1600 GTL

Aero426

Quote from: RealWing on January 11, 2021, 07:22:07 PM
Be careful which LCA bushings you get!! Lots of garbage out there as I found out!
https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/lca-pin-loose-in-bushing.465142/page-2
Jim

Thanks for the information.   I am headed to the alignment shop on Thursday to have LCA bushings installed.   It's the last thing on the list for the front suspension.    I think I have Moogs sitting on the seat of the car which may be NFG.     I ordered a couple of Proforged to be overnighted to the shop.    Hopefully they make it.    :o

Birdflu

Doug, car looks really good with those wheels!  :yesnod:

Aero426

Quote from: Birdflu on January 12, 2021, 07:09:15 PM
Doug, car looks really good with those wheels!  :yesnod:

Thanks.  I am kicking myself I waited so long to do it.