News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tell me your horror stories and lessons learnt front body shops.

Started by CFMopar, December 30, 2020, 03:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CFMopar

Hey guys,

I know theirs no shortage of Horror stories with body shops. And unfortunately, while many of us here are mechanically inclined, body work imo is more of an art. I don't know about you guys, but I hated art class.

I'm getting close to the body and paint stage on my car and wanted to know how you selected the shop you chose to work with. I also want to know the mistakes you made if any and what lessons you learnt.

I figured that this wont only be informative for myself, but a decent utube video for my channel for anyone else who maybe its their first time tackling a project like this.

So if you don't mind, share your stories, experiences and lessons.

Thanks
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

XH29N0G

I am not an expert on this, but I started asking around and I asked about the places that I had recommendations for and then asked them for an assessment of my car to do what I wanted done.  I ended up paying a lot, but I made a deal with a fixed amount, a fixed payment schedule and an agreed upon set of steps.  This is what I read on here.  As it turned out, there was one big hiccup that the shop ate the cost of because they said they didn't expect the floorpans to need replacing, but realized they did when they stripped the underside. I think it is inevitable that I found some imperfections in the job, but it really didn't surprise me.  All in all, however, I got what I paid for and I have no complaints about the shop or how it was run.  The reason I chose it was because someone I trust said that they were someone that I could also trust.  That turned out to be the case.  They are/were not a mopar shop which to some is a sin because there are tricks, but they did a good job. 

My thinking is that you want to ask around, do your research, and then carefully assess what you are willing to accept.  I think it is more than art.  It is hard work.  And the shops that are realistic and honest about that are likely to give you what they promised.  Because they have a good idea at the start and are running it the way a reputable business is run.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

CFMopar

That's pretty amazing you found a shop willing to agree to a fixed price at all. Most I've talked to want bi weekly payments to keep the project squared in funding so it doesn't fall behind. It's even more amazing they swallowed the cost on the floor.

As far as imperfections go, I bet there will always be something to be found. Glad you ended up happy with it in the end.
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

hemi-hampton

Quote from: CFMopar on December 30, 2020, 07:19:55 PM
That's pretty amazing you found a shop willing to agree to a fixed price at all. Most I've talked to want bi weekly payments to keep the project squared in funding so it doesn't fall behind. It's even more amazing they swallowed the cost on the floor.

As far as imperfections go, I bet there will always be something to be found. Glad you ended up happy with it in the end.

I agree, A fixed price not the way to go in my opinion. because as they fall behind schedule & start losing money they start taking shortcuts. If said shop really knew what they were doing they would not of made the mistake of finding out floors were shot after blasting/stripping & fixing for free. When a Body Shop gets stuck doing things for free most likely they will take shortcuts elsewhere to make up for it. In the end low quoted fixed price (if low) & free fixing ends up with lower quality work being done usually but not always. I know, I've worked in Resto & Body Shops for 35+ years. For Horrors Stories I got ton of them & the Body Shop owners (most of them) treat there employees worse then the Customers that have been scammed & ripped off. I hear people in hear say a shop complains they can't keep good employees. That's total B.S. they tell the Customers & they believe it. Truth is they can't keep employees because they are constantly quitting after being screwed over by the Boss Running the Resto/Body Shop. LEON.

AKcharger

There are three options:
1) Normal paint and body shop - they will not touch it, no $$ in it
2) Reputable Restoration shop - this is the way to go BUT it will be a minimum of 6 months on a waiting list. (If there's no wait, be VERY suspicious) and expect to pay $30k+ and not see your car for another year
3) find a small local shop that will promise to do a good job  and hope for the best

And with option #3  there's a chance this will happen http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,138778.0.html