News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Solid lifters on a hydralic cam?

Started by Eldovert, January 03, 2021, 11:32:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eldovert

After reading numerous complaints on comp hydraulic lifters I am thinking of switching to solid lifters...has anyone run solids on a hydraulic cam? This is a new build..440 with a comp XE 284...I assume there are no issues with comp solids?
Cheers,Pat

c00nhunterjoe

Yes you can do it. No i wouldnt reccomend it. The cams are the same material but they are ground different. Solids are ground different on the opening ramp to account for lash. Hydraulics are not. So putting a solid lifter on a Hydraulic grind will essentially beat the valves open. It will work but i would expect wiping it on the street.

Eldovert

heyoldguy

I've run solid lifters on hydraulic cams for maybe 40 years. Keep the hot lash around .005"-.006" and they will work without any problems. With aluminum heads the cold lash must be around .001"-.002".

Kern Dog

Holy crap...Jim is still out there?
Good to see you respond!

Eldovert

Thanks for the reply Jim...I hope you and your family are doing well..funny you should chime in, I am just bolting on a set of source heads that you prepped!
Cheers,Pat

Challenger340

Quote from: heyoldguy on January 04, 2021, 11:16:09 AM
I've run solid lifters on hydraulic cams for maybe 40 years. Keep the hot lash around .005"-.006" and they will work without any problems. With aluminum heads the cold lash must be around .001"-.002".

:2thumbs:

Hello Jim !
Only wimps wear Bowties !

c00nhunterjoe

Good to hear from you jim! If jim says its good, i will stand by his statement. He has been doing it alot longer then i have.

XH29N0G

Curious if it changes anything in the way the hydraulic cams behave? 

Or is it better to run something comparable that is designed as a solid?

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

heyoldguy

Quote from: Eldovert on January 04, 2021, 03:12:48 PM
Thanks for the reply Jim...I hope you and your family are doing well..funny you should chime in, I am just bolting on a set of source heads that you prepped!
Cheers,Pat
Just now eh? Man we haven't prepped any Stealth heads for years. Those babies are now antiques.

Eldovert

Quote from: heyoldguy on January 07, 2021, 11:03:00 AM
Quote from: Eldovert on January 04, 2021, 03:12:48 PM
Cheers,Pat
Just now eh? Man we haven't prepped any Stealth heads for years. Those babies are now antiques.
These might be the last set you prepped...maybe I should throw them on EBAY..."Last set of heads prepped by LaRoy Engines...bid high and bid often"