News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Where can I get a kit to swap my 383 for a chevy 350??

Started by AKcharger, January 03, 2021, 03:31:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

Mike DC

QuoteWhere can I get a kit to swap my 383 for a chevy 350??

John_Kunkel

Useless info of the day, a Chevy 350 bored .040" with a 400 crankshaft is a 383.  :scratchchin:
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

c00nhunterjoe

If going with a tree fiddy, why not just do a 434 and be done with it? Lol

cbrestorations

Won many races with a circle track crate 350. Beat the piss out of them, over heated, buzzed 7500 rpm on stock internals and it just kept on runnin. Just replaced valve springs every season.

AKcharger

Well it's a good engine but I couldn't think of a more treasonious engine swap than a Chevy 350

Mike DC

It's 2021.  IMO the Chevy LS is officially the most treasonous motor now.  The older SBC gets a little scrap of extra cred for being vintage.

b5blue

Every GM product I have owned turned into a disaster.  :shruggy:

triple_green

68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

Kern Dog

Yeah, because movie production companies are not car guys, they are a business. The Chevy engines are the Harbor Freight of the car industry...They are cheap and work for a little while. They can be replaced easily and cheaply too.

Fitz73Chrgr

Quote from: AKcharger on January 03, 2021, 11:31:59 PM
Well it's a good engine but I couldn't think of a more treasonious engine swap than a Chevy 350

Is it more treasonous than a Mexico-built, late-model FCA Hemi?   :scratchchin:
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

AKcharger

Quote from: Fitz73Chrgr on January 04, 2021, 03:03:56 PM

Is it more treasonous than a Mexico-built, late-model FCA Hemi?   :scratchchin:

I'd think so, it's arguably still a MOPAR

cbrestorations

Quote from: Kern Dog on January 04, 2021, 01:25:05 PM
Yeah, because movie production companies are not car guys, they are a business. The Chevy engines are the Harbor Freight of the car industry...They are cheap and work for a little while. They can be replaced easily and cheaply too.

I wouldn't say the LS only lasts a little while...I've seen many of LS engines in the 300k mile plus range and when opened up they still looked great. I built and sold LS engines for awhile. Great engines...I'm not brand loyal, I like Mopars, Chevy and ford. They all have good designs and terrible ones too. Seen many of stock  short block LS engines make 1200+hp too. Show me a stock 440, 383, 340, 318 or whatever old school engine do that without spewing its guts. The modern hemi is great  aswell, just more expensive to put in anything and performance parts are more expensive. The hellcat swap is great though. To me an engine is just an air pump. I really don't care what's under the hood. I wanted to LS swap one of my chargers but got shunned on the thought, so I didn't...now If I'm building a racecar, beater fun car or just throwing parts at a hoopty to just beat the piss out of it I'm going LS. Cheap, light weight, easy 6 speed and cheap to make run. I just wish the modern hemi was mass produced in aluminum. Yes I know you can buy a "block" for 4k...I can build a 600hp LS turn key engine for 4k aswell and that is why it is widely used. If the LS engine only had a dodge part number all you guys would like it too

Fitz73Chrgr

Quote from: cbrestorations on January 05, 2021, 11:04:16 AM
If the LS engine only had a dodge part number all you guys would like it too

Which is why hard-line Mopar guys think Mexican Fiat-Chrysler Hemis are "pure".  

To me, parts built outside of the US are "treasonous".  And yeah, I'm aware that my American Racing wheels were made in China.
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

cbrestorations

Quote from: Fitz73Chrgr on January 05, 2021, 11:33:56 AM

To me, parts built outside of the US are "treasonous".  And yeah, I'm aware that my American Racing wheels were made in China.

I hope ur not restoring a charger...you will be very upset about where pretty much all the repop parts come from.

cdr

Quote from: cbrestorations on January 05, 2021, 11:58:20 AM

I hope ur not restoring a charger...you will be very upset about where pretty much all the repop parts come from.

THIS ^^^^^^^
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Fitz73Chrgr

Quote from: cbrestorations on January 05, 2021, 11:58:20 AM

To me, parts built outside of the US are "treasonous".  And yeah, I'm aware that my American Racing wheels were made in China.

I'm aware of that too, not happy about it, but it is unavoidable in a global market.  The point I'm making is that the hatred of "non-Mopar" engines amongst Mopar guys is not based on anything reasonable.  

Resto thread:

Mike DC

Nothing about the muscle car hobby was ever reasonable or rational. 

XH29N0G

Come to think about it, very little about my reactions have been reasonable in the past, but I think I would just feel 'dirty' if I did that, in the eww yuck way, not the heh-heh way.   :smilielol:

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Fitz73Chrgr

Resto thread:

AKcharger

well if I had an AMC rambler or something I wouldn't feel too bad about a other manufacturer motor swap but there are still tens of Thousands of blocks, heads intakes laying around relitivly cheap

70 sublime

Think there is also pride in ownership

Around these parts it was always GM stuff as there was a car plant up the road

Mopar was always the under dog
Not many around

I enjoy the hunt finding the original parts just as much as driving when done
It is always nice to say I have found the original parts and not just used what ever will fit
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green