News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can't Believe Truck Prices!

Started by Old Moparz, January 05, 2021, 05:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kern Dog

I was thinking the same thing.
Torque keeps the speed from falling when climbing the hills.
Flat landscapes are the easy part. Hills and long grade are the real test.
My 2007 is no powerhouse when towing so I can only guess what a slug it would be like with 1/3 less torque.

Old Moparz

Quote from: John_Kunkel on January 11, 2021, 12:49:13 PM

You'll see the difference when you get in the hills with a load.

Very true. I had towed a small camping trailer many years ago with a 6 cylinder & hated it. Even a V8 that isn't geared right & without a towing package is horrible. The car trailer I have is rated at 7000 pounds but I would like to get a different trailer in a couple of years & possibly an enclosed one. The V6 isn't going to pull that so I'm not going to be considering one.

The Ram website lets you build your own & with the options I want, a 2500 Crew Cab comes in between $42,000 & $45,000. The problem with ordering something is that the dealer never discounts it below full retail. I'm not in a big rush so I am sure I will find something in stock somewhere. The color choices are cool .   :coolgleamA:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Kern Dog

I C K.
The blue looks great. The other colors? Uhhh....Not.

ACUDANUT

Torque is always a good thing. However Gearing is another.  My 1970 Ford 6 banger gas (300 CI) dump truck can haul 10 times it's weight.

GreenMachine

Quote from: Old Moparz on January 11, 2021, 02:41:16 PM
Quote from: John_Kunkel on January 11, 2021, 12:49:13 PM

You'll see the difference when you get in the hills with a load.

Very true. I had towed a small camping trailer many years ago with a 6 cylinder & hated it. Even a V8 that isn't geared right & without a towing package is horrible. The car trailer I have is rated at 7000 pounds but I would like to get a different trailer in a couple of years & possibly an enclosed one. The V6 isn't going to pull that so I'm not going to be considering one.

The Ram website lets you build your own & with the options I want, a 2500 Crew Cab comes in between $42,000 & $45,000. The problem with ordering something is that the dealer never discounts it below full retail. I'm not in a big rush so I am sure I will find something in stock somewhere. The color choices are cool .   :coolgleamA:

Here's a thread of people posting their truck orders, I didn't read all 57 pages, but I'm sure there's info on how to get the best deal when ordering. This website is for the 2500/3500 HD trucks.

https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?threads/2021-ram-hd-builds-and-orders-post-and-discuss-your-order-here.2622/

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Mike DC

QuoteTorque is always a good thing. However Gearing is another.  My 1970 Ford 6 banger gas (300 CI) dump truck can haul 10 times it's weight.

Yeah those are strong motors.  

But with 300 inches, they oughtta be.  I'm sure a 300ci version of a Mopar slant-6 would be pretty damm powerful too.

Old Moparz

I've decided to pump some money into my old truck and postpone purchasing a new one for a while. I'm not going to even consider a late model used one because the prices are absolutely stupid. Besides, I have a problem with spending that kind of coin on used. Reasonably priced ones are already worn the hell out with 100,000 miles and more. 😕

I just bought an oil pan and gasket for my truck and the mechanic in the shop at work said he can do the work for me on the side. It'll save me more than half of what the $1300 estimate I got was and allow me to fix a few other things.

The option I am 99% sure that I will do is to get a different, but much less expensive, new vehicle and use my truck as needed. Once the oil pan is done I'll address the leaking steering rack and rear end seal. Most of the other things are minor annoyances and won't prevent it from being driven or make it unsafe.
               Bob                

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Old Moparz on January 20, 2021, 03:15:33 PM
I'm not going to even consider a late model used one because the prices are absolutely stupid.

Until this thread I hadn't really paid much attention to used prices but, after checking around, I agree...you can buy new left-overs for the asking price of some late used.  :eek2:
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Old Moparz

Quote from: John_Kunkel on January 21, 2021, 01:35:59 PM

Quote from: Old Moparz on January 20, 2021, 03:15:33 PM
I'm not going to even consider a late model used one because the prices are absolutely stupid.

Until this thread I hadn't really paid much attention to used prices but, after checking around, I agree...you can buy new left-overs for the asking price of some late used.  :eek2:

The only used trucks that are affordable right now are basically worn out junk. There are several with mileage in the 150,000 to 250,000 range still commanding over $30,000. Who the hell buys these things? :shruggy:

Bob                

Aero426

My '04 Ram 2500 is not going anywhere soon.    It's "small" compared to a current Ram 2500, but the prices on late model trucks....   nfw.   

67440chrg

I have been looking lately because they are offering 0 percent financing. I have a old truck for hauling and pulling a trailer. I am going to retire in a couple years and want something to pull my boat anywhere I want and take on trips. I have been looking at a 21, 1500, 5.7, 4x4  crew cab Longhorn for around $45,000 if not for the no interest I wouldnt be looking.

darbgnik

Quote from: Kern Dog on January 09, 2021, 03:06:22 PM
Guys that I have worked with in construction like the quad cab for storing extra tools or extra passengers. I rarely car pool so the regular cab and bed cover work fine for me. A $30,000 new truck is very tempting but the  4 door thing kills it. Also, I don't like the center screen being a "command center" for everything. Yeah, they are usually reliable but the one in the Wife's Challenger did crap out when the car was 2 years old. The radio made sound but the display was blank. This left no access to the heater or A/C, the settings for electric power steering, compass and a few other things. Oddly, the backup camera still worked.
The new Rams use that dang shift knob instead of a lever. I am not a fan of that either.

Thing is, the knob is connected to an excellent 8 speed, the lever is connected to a decent 5 speed, or later, a terrible 6 speed.

But ya, most would prefer a lever for the 8 speed.....

Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

Kern Dog

I heard a Volvo ad on Pandora radio yesterday.
The announcer was first speaking of how the public scoffed at 3 point seat belts when they were first put in cars but then learned to accept them. The announcer used this as a basis to justify Volvo's recent decision to voluntarily roll back the top speed that their cars can reach. They seem to think that customers need nanny-tech to make their decisions for them.
I do not like that way of thinking.
I can afford a Hellcat. I choose NOT to buy one. If others want one, I support their decision to make the purchase.
I don't like it when freedoms are infringed upon.
The 8 speed transmission is great in our Challenger R/T. Well, most of the time it is. Sometimes, it reacts really slow.....Like when you're tooling along easy and then jab the throttle. The programming must operate in some slumber mode that takes a moment to shrug off. I've slowed to make a U-Turn and stabbed it, only to have the car lag, and lag....WTF ??

armor64

Quote from: Kern Dog on March 25, 2021, 03:35:48 AM
I heard a Volvo ad on Pandora radio yesterday.
The announcer was first speaking of how the public scoffed at 3 point seat belts when they were first put in cars but then learned to accept them. The announcer used this as a basis to justify Volvo's recent decision to voluntarily roll back the top speed that their cars can reach. They seem to think that customers need nanny-tech to make their decisions for them.
I do not like that way of thinking.
I can afford a Hellcat. I choose NOT to buy one. If others want one, I support their decision to make the purchase.
I don't like it when freedoms are infringed upon.
The 8 speed transmission is great in our Challenger R/T. Well, most of the time it is. Sometimes, it reacts really slow.....Like when you're tooling along easy and then jab the throttle. The programming must operate in some slumber mode that takes a moment to shrug off. I've slowed to make a U-Turn and stabbed it, only to have the car lag, and lag....WTF ??

completely off topic on this one but my friends challenger did that same thing, and it turned out to be the throttle pedal/ TPS switch. for him it was apparently a combo of Canadian Salt and mud from construction sites effecting the sensor. he swapped it out for one at a junkyard to test and was snappy again.

70 sublime

Truck prices

I ended up ordering a new 2021 Classic Ram to get the colour and options I wanted
I placed the order on Jan 20 2021
They said 8 to 10 weeks to get my truck when I placed the order

Yesterday was week 9 so I thought I would touch base with the sales man

Just got off the phone with him this morning
Told me my truck now has a VIN but at this point it will be another 4 to 6 weeks  :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

So order it in January and might be here in May
Not very happy at all
I did ask about canceling my order but he kind of side stepped that question
At this point I think my 2018 Ram is going to have a lot more miles on it before that get there hands on it than they were originally thinking
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

GreenMachine

Quote from: 70 sublime on March 25, 2021, 09:40:22 AM
Truck prices

I ended up ordering a new 2021 Classic Ram to get the colour and options I wanted
I placed the order on Jan 20 2021
They said 8 to 10 weeks to get my truck when I placed the order

Yesterday was week 9 so I thought I would touch base with the sales man

Just got off the phone with him this morning
Told me my truck now has a VIN but at this point it will be another 4 to 6 weeks  :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

Not very happy at all
I did ask about canceling my order but he kind of side stepped that question
At this point I think my 2018 Ram is going to have a lot more miles on it before that get there hands on it than they were originally thinking

This was posted yesterday on hdrams.com:

https://hdrams.com/forum/index.php?threads/2021-ram-hd-builds-and-orders-post-and-discuss-your-order-here.2622/page-160

"Ordered a 21 Bighorn 2,22,2021 in BC Canada got a Vin 3,24,2021 ETA before xmas I hope. Dealer said over 3500 2021 3500,s ordered in Canada in the last 3 months, so the Mexicans are pretty busy Im sure . BSM was not available when I ordered."

Seems like the Rams are getting a lot more popular
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

gsmopar

Not that expensive when you factor in the resale.  I drove my 06 for 120k+ miles.  Sold it last year for more than 1/2 of what I paid new (better than the 1 Honda I've owned).  Picked up this guy last April.  0% financing on the previous model year.  I did the same thing when I bought the 06.  :)

IMG_5191 by Greg Ault, on Flickr

ACUDANUT

I paid 30K for a used 2012 F-150 4x4. a NEW ONE COST 65K plus.

Old Moparz

Quote from: GreenMachine on March 26, 2021, 03:24:17 AM
Quote from: 70 sublime on March 25, 2021, 09:40:22 AM
Truck prices

Not very happy at all
I did ask about canceling my order

Seems like the Rams are getting a lot more popular

There is a shortage of parts, all manufacturers are effected so canceling your order isn't a good idea.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2021/03/22/chip-shortage-has-detroit-automakers-struggling-to-maintain-truck-production-and-meet-orders.html
               Bob