News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Head gaskets for Mopar performance 452 aluminum heads

Started by flyinlow, January 07, 2021, 07:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinlow

I have used Felpro Blue gaskets with Edelbrock heads. With these work with the Mopar performance 452 aluminum heads?

I thought they compressed to .040" Are there any gaskets that are thinner that will work?

c00nhunterjoe

Ive used to .041s witb no issues up to aluminum blocks. Depends on what you are doing.

flyinlow

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on January 07, 2021, 10:08:20 PM
. Depends on what you are doing.

Just looking at options right now. If my son can get the time off and is not sick this weekend , we  want to pull the heads off his 440 and  install a set of Mopar Performance aluminum heads. The compression test was even ,but low. (135-140)  Previous owner build info showed TRW pistons (2355?) and .060 over. Son it trying to find the build info, it's been years since I looked at it.

What is the desired piston to head clearance with closed cambered heads?

metallicareload99

Quote from: flyinlow on January 08, 2021, 12:05:58 AM
Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on January 07, 2021, 10:08:20 PM
. Depends on what you are doing.

Just looking at options right now. If my son can get the time off and is not sick this weekend , we  want to pull the heads off his 440 and  install a set of Mopar Performance aluminum heads. The compression test was even ,but low. (135-140)  Previous owner build info showed TRW pistons (2355?) and .060 over. Son it trying to find the build info, it's been years since I looked at it.

What is the desired piston to head clearance with closed cambered heads?

I don't know man, that cranking compression seems kinda low for L2355Fs. Could be because of open chamber heads and a older purple shaft cam?

For comparison, I tested my 446 with L2355F30 and TrickFlow heads last month and I got 170 to 175 psi cold. The difference could be all kinds of things: starter condition, battery state of charge, plugs still in?, etc.  :shruggy:
My smog 440 tested @ around 140 to 145 psi.

I'm using Cometic 0.027 head gaskets and have about 0.048 or so piston to head clearance. It would be very interesting to see what your piston to deck clearance is
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

cdr

Dont use the 1009 Felpro, they have a tendency of the fire ring to hang into the combustion chamber. if you do use the 1009, lay them on the head & check to make sure they are not doing what I said pretty sure this is the part # you need. 8519PT1 or a better choice  Fel-pro 17059 Marine gaskets
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

flyinlow

Started pulling heads (in car)  intake off, rockers off,  did a leak down test. cold engine, pistons pushed to BDC by air pressure. All 85-90 % except #4 cylinder 30% Did it three times.

Pulled drivers side head . Pistons about .090 in the hole.(sucks) No valve relief in pistons. I thought TRW forged piston had those ? Used them once 40+ years ago and that's what I remember.

Will pull other head tomorrow. Kind of a mute point. Will head over to buddy's to get engine hoist .  I see a machine shop in my sons future.

c00nhunterjoe

.090 is pretty bad. Time for an overhaul and wake that thing up!

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

BSB67

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on January 11, 2021, 10:40:19 AM
.090 is pretty bad.

Yes, but very common. That's the 2266 piston with 1.99 compression distance.  Probably used in 80% of the "stock" rebuilds over the last 40 years.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

flyinlow

We pulled the passenger side head. I expected to see a damaged piston or bore on number four since its leak down test was 30% ( 100psi in/30psi holding) compared to the rest at 85-90 % cold. But I just see slight scuffing. Maybe there are not any rings on that piston? I checked the bore with a dial caliper and it looks like it is .050-.060 over. (4.365 admittedly crude measure, ordered bore gauge) The block might be done. Will pull the engine and tear down.
1978 engine with a forged crank.

I have a 1978 motor home engine std. bore , appears low miles , cast crank. Only problem is the # 6 cylinder has foreign object damage. Near the bottom of the cylinder ,bellow the ring wear area there in a metal nub projecting into the bore. Looks like a small screw came up from the crankcase and jammed in there gouging the piston. May have happened when new? I think an over bore will fix it if its not too deep.

flyinlow

The engine had .040" thick composite gaskets. Why would they use those on stock heads block over a thinner shim gasket?

flyinlow

Pulled the engine today . Pistons .100" below deck. Pistons stamped 60 . My crude bore measurements show plus .060. No windage tray. Standard oil pump. .006 thrust  (good I think.78 block with a Std. forged crank)

Pulled the # 4 piston that showed 30% leak down compared to 85-90 % . I expected a crack or a missing ring . Looked normal.? Put the head on the bench and filled the #4 chamber with paint thinner looking for leaks. None observed? Sat  there for 30 minutes.